SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

As of May 1st it's Danko and Pi-po by a mile.

jll0306
14 years ago

Weather prevented me from getting the spring plants out until the middle of April and even at that late date, I lost several to late frosts and biting winds.

Although the daytime temperatures have been quite pleasant for some time now, in the microclimate of the tomato patch, we have not yet had a full week with nighttime temperatures above 50 degrees

In spite of this, Danko, one of the last plants to be started from seed, is blooming wildly and has set the most fruit. It is also the largest and healthiest plant of all so far.

I selected this variety because another GW poster had testified to its outstanding performance in his coastal garden last year, even though they had an unusually cool season with nights dipping into in the forties. I am happy to say it is meeting and exceeding my expectations.

Pi-po, a variety about which I can find no information, outside of Tatiana's Tomatobase, is running a close second. As it's a VERY early (41 dtm) variety I expect it to start pulling ahead soon, although Black Sea Man looks like it wants to be a contender in the early and productive race as well.

Hooray! The 2009 Tomato season is really underway at last!

Jan

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts