SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Wildflowers, pretty flowers, and other flowers ....

A pound of wildflower seed was purchased on two different occasions and scattered on the field across the street, but the fill dirt the city used when they removed some houses was so poor the wildflowers never took hold. But finally one variety did.

So if one wants a wildflower that will thrive in poor soil, searing heat, little water and still bloom all summer then Mexican hat fits the bill ...

I'm surprised that hybridizers haven't worked with Silverleaf nightshade to sell commercially since it is very drought tolerant, has a beautiful flower and grey green leaves. I've seen it blooming in August on a baking traffic island that I'm sure hadn't seen a drop of water in weeks and weeks. It's also blooming across the street ...

The heat and sun loving west Texas Velvet pod mimosa blooms all summer in my *ell strip across from the field. I sent seeds to several people, anybody get it going?

Now for a very pretty flower, a large and a very fragrant one as well, that you don't see very often even if you have the Rick rack plant that produces it. The bloom lasts through one night only and if the scent does not alert you to its opening you might miss it entirely. It's a relative to cactus and the plant in a hanging basket is often mistaken for a stag horn fern ...

This variety of Ground orchid has larger trusses of flowers, blooms longer, and has larger leaves than the one I've had for years. It was purchased at Home Depot and given to me by a friend ...

A couple of years ago when I was no longer willing to pay huge water bills to keep my rose garden looking like spring all year I started looking around for evergreen plants with 'architectural interest' as they say, to replace the rose bushes and other plants requiring large amounts of water to do well.

I happened upon the Puya dyckioides from Argentina, a member of the bromeliad family, and fell in love with its long graceful evergreen fronds. I placed several of them in pots and at the edges of raised beds.

What I didn't expect was the long lasting decorative blooming stalks they produced this year. They range in color is from pink to pinkish orange and the flowers are pink with metalic green or bluish petals.

Some might not class the flowers as beautiful, but the hummingbirds visit every last one and bees love them, too!

This tiny bee, not over a fourth inch long, is collecting pollen and nectar from the blooms of a related plant, Texas false agave, Hechetia bromeliaceae. The plant is very small and yet produces several stalks of bright orange flowers that rise up to four ft. tall and sway in the breeze making it hard to get a clear photo of this little gal ...

It's been said that "Nature is perfectly satisfied and happy to produce a world of infinite, rapturous variety that knows nothing about pretty or ugly."

And so I'm delighting in planting native and other drought tolerant plants and being made aware of their different kind of beauty. I'm attempting to redesign the garden with pockets of color, interesting pots with more evergreen plants, and DH is replacing more of the grass with stone pathways.

Planting with birds, bees and butterflies in mind and in general working with and enjoying what mother nature likes to grow in this soil and climate is fun, even if she has given me only 4 1/2 in. of rain since October. Not complaining, just observing that once again necessity is the mother of invention.

Happy gardening everybody!

Comments (10)