SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

How do I grow field peas?

sunslight
15 years ago

Ha. I bet no one answers this. but let's see.

I live in Provo.

My soil is heavy clay, pH 7.2, soil test show plenty of nutriments but lacking in humus; veggi area in full sun from 8 a.m to 8 p.m. I live right at 4,900 ft, near the base of the mountains--but not in the riverbottoms nor up on the bench.

Here's my dilemma.

I love peas. I'm from Louisiana (40 yrs ago) and miss my southern peas.

These are not "green" peas, but Crowder/field/cow peas -- not black-eye, either. They are usually brown and have a nutty taste, extremely good with okra. It's wonderful food.

Tourists pay lots of money to get this meal when they visit a fancy restaurant in New Orleans or along southern Louisiana.

I have tried, nearly every year, for 40 yrs to grow the pea. It's a vining pea.

In the south it's about as easy to grow them as my uncle's 6' tall bell pepper plants, or 10' high tomato plants or the 6' Gardenias he has around his house as foundation plants--very, very simple to grow.

However, the most success I have had here is one year I got 1/4 cup (that's right, a quarter of a cup) of peas from a 100' row of double planting.

The peas come up okay (has to be warm soil), put out cotyledons, then the 1st set of true leaves--after that the game is about over.

They continue to try to grow, but instead of the stem elongating, it'll grow 1/4", set more leaves, do this a few more times, then the leaves begin to turn yellow and drop.

What I'm left with is a 3" tall stem, with maybe one green leaf on top, that's going yellow and will have dropped by the end of August. Only occasionally will a plant make it to 6" and produce a flower.

I have added compost, fertilizers, sand, gypsum, compost, mulch, bark, grass clippings, chelated iron, liquid iron, soil sulfur, straight nitrogen, super phosphate, shaded them from the hot sun, been careful with the water, kept the bugs off, even hand pollinated some of the flowers that made it. But 99% just sit there, sulk, drop their leaves, and die.

Anyone have any experience with these peas & or suggestions as to how I might be able to grow them? I've planted them in single rows, wide rows, raised beds, sunken beds. I just can't get them to grow.

According to what I've read, they tolerate a pH or 7 or so. They are so easily grown they are often used as a cover crop. I've even inoculated the seeds, prior to planting, although the soil here, doesn't need it.

The only thing I can think of is it's the climate that's thwarting me?

In Louisiana, in the summer it rains almost every night, the difference between day & night temperatures is about 10 degrees.

Here our temp diff is at least 30 degrees. Could that be the problem?

I just turned 60 and since I've been trying to grow these since I was 20, my time is running out.

From a 10'x10' square, I "should" have all the peas I can eat, plus put away for winter.

Help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals