SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamb_gw

Seedlings Growing Very Slowly?

gamb
12 years ago

Hello all,

I am attempting to start seeds indoors for the first time this year. I've raised direct-sown vegetables in the past (carrots, peas, and the like) but have never grown indoors and have never raised tomatoes from seed, and I have some concerns.

These seedlings were planted the 14th of March. First sprouts appeared around the 21st and almost all were up by the 25th. I've had a couple late ones that just came up in the last few days.

I planted in fiber cells that are about 1.5 inches around a maybe 2 inches deep. I used a coconut fiber seed starting mix. I'm watering from beneath when I can only feel moisture on the bottom wall of the cells and none in the potting mix. I've got a light about 3 inches above the tray--it was a cheap $10 fixture I found at Wal-Mart that was marketed as a "grow light". It has a 75 watt output, but I don't know how to find out what its lumens output is. I assume it's not ideal, but I hope it's sufficient. Temperatures at the soil surface have been about 60 and have been a few degrees colder below.

After an initial inch or two of growth, I've seen almost nothing. None have true leaves; a few have the smallest nubs of true leaves forming, but most don't. There doesn't seem to be much upward growth either.

All have purple stems and purple undersides of their leaves. In one, the leaves have curled inwards and upwards.

I started cucumbers two weeks after the tomatoes, and they appear to be thriving. All have the beginnings of true leaves already.

Do I have an issue, and if so what can I do to correct it? My resources are limited as I'm trying to start these in a college dorm room and have little funds, so cheaper and easier the better. Thank you for any advice you can give!

My admittedly pitiful setup

Seedlings

Purple underside

Seedling with curled leaves

The seedling with the most developed true leaves (I think)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living