SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vipvenom

How to save seeds and keep diversity and...?

vipvenom
15 years ago

I had a question about saving seeds to continue to grow your own tomatoes indefinitely. I have read that only the best fruit should be selected for seed saving. Why is this so important? Shouldn't it be based on the overall plants performance rather than the individual fruits performance? Correct me if I am wrong but if you want a larger fruit you should choose fruit from plants that consistently produce a fruit larger than the normal rather than a single fruit that just happen to be largest from a plant that produced a lower average size fruit. But the best fruit from the best plants should be chosen correct?

How many plants (of a single variety) should I plan on growing/collecting from each season to keep a good diversity in the genes?

After several generations (of a single variety) if I only choose fruit from the plants that grew the best will my plants be more adapted to my location? My location is hot and humid South FL.

For example if I got seeds from someone who grew several generations of their tomatoes in Fl would they potentially do better than someone who's seeds came from Maine?

I understand genetics and evolution and it seems that the two questions above would be true but you never know so I figured I would ask those that have been growing tomatoes longer than me.

TIA for the input,

Chris

Comments (2)