SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
banyan_gw

dont understand about container size issue

banyan
17 years ago

Hi, my first posting on this forum. I will become a regular!

I keep on reading about some plants that allegedly cant be grown in containers because the containers need to be too big to contain the tree. Now this seems wrong on two counts. First up, you can grow a seedling in a very small pot if you want to. Ok it may not fruit well, but it can be done. Second (and far more importantly), in nature sometimes trees germinate in very hard sites, often with very limited soil. Physiological stress actually induces fruiting in preference to shoot production. There seems to be a built in stress response that as if the plant decides it needs to reproduce itself in a hurry as it knows its days are limited.

In this country (New Zealand) there are quite a lot of orchardist who deliberately grow some fruit trees in bags to restrict root volumne, usually olives and cherries. The root stress induces flower/fruit production over shoot production, meaning that every branch is actually a lot more productive than would usually be the case. Because the trees are kept very small, there is a vast increase in tree number per acre. The huge number of small but highly productive trees actually results in incresed production per acre, often nearing 400%. And trees require minimal no no pruning, and harvest is easy. Not bad.

I have heard that some avocado growers in Israel grow on very shallow soil, which creates root restriction, small trees, and hugely increased production per tree leaf area. In my personal experience, the best avocado tree I have ever seen was growing on my father-in-laws banana farm in Australia, on very hard clay. The tree was about 10 feet tall, and had so much fruit that it looked almost rediculously overburdened.

I have seen a mango tree growin in a pot about one gallon or less in size, the leaves were bonsaied, but it had about 3 full sized fruit on it. The fruit looked great, but the tree was so small that the fruit were almost full distance from the crown to the soil surface.

It seems to me that root restriction is the basis of container growing. We should actually be able to produce better results in containers than inground, with enough effort. I don't see why any tropical fruit tree should be considered too big for a manageable pot, the bonsai growers tell us that while it is possible to create miniature stature trees, it is not possible to create miniature fruit and flowers. Any tree that should grow too big will only grow to a size relative to its root mass, after which it will go into physiological stress and produce masses of fruit to reproduce its genetics.

...[now I sit back and wait for the dissenting voices...]...

Comments (5)