SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wonderpets_gw

Varieties and cages -- multiple plants in one cage?

wonderpets
13 years ago

I know I"m working backwards -- I should have planned out my garden before buying plants. The urge just hit last week when the weather was glorious.

I have three raised beds, (1) 4x8, and (2) 2x7 approx.

We are making CRW cages that will be 2' diameter. One of my husband's friends puts two plants per cage. Another one goes so far as to put three plants per cage.

Is that a crazy notion?

I have the following to plant:

Parks Whopper x4

JetStar x4

Rutgers x4

Sungold Cherry x2

Sweet Baby Girl

Arkansas Traveler

Black Krim

If we don't expand the space, I have room for 10 cages. Obviously, I've over-purchased. :) Especially since I also want to grow cucumbers and try some beans again.

Even if I experiment and put 2 Parks in one cage and compare that to one plant in a single cage, I still run out of space.

Recommendations? And thoughts on what I've already purchased would be helpful. I've never grown any of these varieties.

Last year was not a great tomato year, so I'm trying new types. The only plant that did well last year was Abe Lincoln and it turned into a big bushy bush and the tomatoes rotted before they could be picked between bugs and weather and life in general. I'm hoping better cages will help. If not, I'm turning the tomatoes over to my husband.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH