SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brute_gw

My Thoughts On Florida Jujube, So Far

brute
12 years ago

First of all, the thing grows like a weed!

Secondly, it's covered with flowers that smell like the sock hamper in an NBA locker room. These are the foulest-smelling flowers I've ever had the misfortune to encounter!

Regardless of what I think of the flowers, the wasps absolutely LOVE them! (By the way, I've never seen a honeybee come anywhere NEAR this tree!)

I never tire of standing next to the tree observing the myriad of wasp species that come to feed on these jujube flowers. I have a copy of the "National Wildlife Federation's Field Guide to Insects and Spiders of North America", but even though I'm standing by the tree with the book in my hand, I STILL can't identify most of the wasps I see visiting this jujube tree when it's in full flower!

One thing I learned quickly is that when most of us think about "wasps", we're thinking about FEMALES. Most of us have never seen a male wasp.

I've been fortunate to see male wasps "courting" females around my jujube tree. The males are tiny little creatures that don't bear ANY resemblance to the females. It's one of those miracles of nature that the females recognize them for what they are, and refrain from eating them!

Last December, my jujube produced exactly TWO fruit, about the size of a large grape. While they were still green, I went away on a three-week deer hunt. When I got back, my little green jujube fruit were gone. They weren't lying on the ground under the tree. I don't know what happened to them.

Now, I can see a few more forming. We'll see how this turns out. By the way, do you folks know any varmints who raid jujube trees?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions