SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dandelion38942

When to Thin Seedlings

dandelion38942
12 years ago

Hi, I'm new here. I have always had a brown thumb, but have decided to give just tomatos a try this year. One of the ladies at the store suggested that I should plant three or so seeds in each seedling cup and then pluck out the non-thriving seedlings so there is only one seedling per cup. I asked about when I should pluck the extra seedlings and she just said "oh, you'll just know".

Anyone have any tips for when to pluck the extra seedlings out? I planted the seeds about a week and a half ago (maybe two weeks ago, Id have to check my calendar). They have been sprouting strongly for several days now, almost all look very healthy to my novis eye. Some are definitly too close to each other and some are right up against the side of the cup (I tried to properly place the seeds during planting, but without whipping out the tweezers they landed where they wanted). So, I'm thinking, leave the seedling closest to the center of the cup so long as it looks healthy (as in, thin right now or soon). Or should I wait and see which seedlings look the "healthiest"? So far at least one (generally morre like three to six) plant has sprouted in each of my 54 cups (yeah, too many :P, I'll be giving some away).

Comment (1)