SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Puerto Rico trip #2

ohiojay
13 years ago

This year's trip was much later than last year's due to weather. The rains were slow to come and that delayed flowering. No sense going down to PR on a fruit hunting trip if there was going to be no fruit! So with forecasts of heavier than normal rains, possibility of hurricanes or tropical storms, and dengue fever...seven of us from all over the country descended upon the beautiful island of Puerto Rico to witness and scarf up as many kinds of rare fruit that we could.

This serves as my jounal of our adventures in PR. I hope you all get as much out of it as I did putting into it! LOL! I will correct any mistakes later...trying to get this done!

A few of us have met before while for others it was a first time meet... even though all of us have known each other very well for many years and were already friends. We were all hard-core rare fruit fanatics. What better bond could there be?

We made our base of operations at the HoJo's in downtown Mayaguez. A good location that put us about 30 minutes or so from most locations we wanted to hit. After a quick check in and showers, we all walked a few blocks to a local place known for their pizza and mofongo. The beer was good too!

We were up early Wednesday morning to head up into the mountains to meet Ian Crown. Ian has a mangosteen farm which also produces lots of rambutan, longan, pulasan, and durian...among some others. Warren, my bud from FL, and I have visited Ian before and couldn't think of a better way to start off our hunt than with him. And since Ian was originally responsible for us coming down...as he was this time as well, we thought it fit to spend as much time with him as we could...dragging him to dinners as well.

Weather was great. Hot hot hot and muggy to rival Thailand. The only nuisance was the ants. But lots and lots of fruit. Eat and eat till you can't eat no more although I don't believe any of us ever made it to that point! Ian, as always, was a fabulous host. He not only shared whatever fruit we could lay our hands onto, he thrilled us with story after story of the farm, trees, and fruit. Definitely an education for us all. Just a beautiful place to be.

We got to try one of Ian's durian, variety unknown, that came off a tree that just fell the night before during a storm. It was quite a big tree too and very sad to see. However...I did learn later that they were going to attempt to raise the tree in hopes of saving it.

There was mangosteen of course, several varieties of pulasan, rambutan, and longan. The pulasan and rambutan were exquisite. I tried a yellow rambutan that was not quite ripe. It was very good and only hinted at what it would be like when ripe. The abui was very good. The durian was pretty good and got a thumb's up from our group's durian expert Warren. A few of the guys reluctantly tried it but just couldn't bring themselves to enjoy it.

A long day here but our day was not over with...to the surprise of our youngest group member who had his hands on his knees and hanging his head in exhaustion! The terrain was...not friendly! Our next stop was Felipe Osborne Shea's farm a little higher in the mountains.

Warren and I had also visited Felipe last year and was warmly welcomed back. He is 86 years old and will scamper up and down the trails, or lack of, daring us all to keep up....which proved difficult. Felipe has a large farm and we didn't see most of it. There are large plots of coffee and achachairu(sometimes known as g. laterifolia but this is believed incorrect also), as well as other fruit. The achachairu is unbelievably good. When bright orange and at it's peak, I believe I like this better than mangosteen. My wife thinks it tastes like a cross between mangosteen and longkong...sounds good to me! It was fun to listen to the ol boy. Filled with stories and a quick, wry wit, he entertained us all.

After the tour, Felipe invited us into his beautiful home overlooking the mountains. We sampled some Herrania varieties and other garcinias...which unfortunately were too far past their peak. He cut open a durian for us. The first from the tree. A small fruit that actually turned yellow when ripe. It was quite good and even caused a few of the more timid durian eaters to raise an eyebrow.

We left Felipe getting on towards evening and made our way back down the mountain. After scrubbing a full day of sweat, dirt, clay, and various fruit juices off, we met Ian in Rincon for a wonderful dinner.

Thursday had us up early again and on our way up the mountain to visit Sherry Ballester of Viveroanones Nursery and Farm. Much to our disappointment, we did not get to visit Sherry last year. Sherry has a vast diversity of fruits and ornamentals. She loves her land and her trees very much and is very proud of it all...as she should be. There was lots to see and taste here as well...more mangosteen and some rambutan. I climbed a langsat tree and tossed down fruit to everyone. That was fun for everyone! Too bad the fruit was about a week or so away from being at it's best. Still good. Afterwards, we relaxed on her porch with more fruit and an absolute awesome punch she had made from frozen acerola, fresh lime and fresh passionfruit. My God was it good and refreshing! Sherry was a sweetheart and cared for us like we were her own. She even drove us to our next destination which was a good distance away. After introducing us to Juan Miranda, whose farm we now stood on, she left us to take care of a family crisis.

Juan was a new meet as well. A very nice and humble guy. He has over 90 acres of jungle that he is single handedly and slowly clearing away for his fruit and ornamental trees. What he as accomplished so far was spectacular. Beautiful landscape and quite a variety of plants. We came upon a seedling pulasan of his that was producing for the first time. It was a knockout! If we could have reached all of the branches, we would have wiped the poor tree out. It was incredible. Juan then found us a ripe marang...which none of us have experienced before. Wow! I never expected the delicate, banana custard-like flavor. A pleasant surprise for us all. Gerry begged him to get a few more! Another surprise waited for us up the hill. Sherry had driven all of the way back to Juan's after discovering Gerry had left his camera and bag at her place. Beyond the call and deserved our appreciation even more...especially since we were going to make Gerry walk back!

It's late in the day and unfortunately we did not get to visit with Sadhu at Govardhan Gardens. We did still have an hour drive to the south to visit the Jardines Eneida nursery. A friend of Ethans recommended this nursery and Sherry and Juan both told us it would be worth the trip.

After an agonizing wait in traffic, we finally arrived. When asked where their fruit trees were, we were pointed to where the avocados and citrus were. Avocados and citrus? Was this a mistake? Somebody messing with me? I didn't come all this way for avocados and citrus! But soon my ears picked up some "ohhh...look at this!", "Wow! They have this! And that!". Lots of grafted rare fruit trees for $6-$8. As Gerry said..."It would be a crime NOT to buy something!". Everyone found at least one plant they had to have. Ethan and I both latched onto a grafted achachairu. The two rental cars were soon packed with plants and smiles. Well worth the trip. I guess they will ship to the US as well. Just make sure that they secure the plants and pack well with newspaper.

Back to the hotel and another even more awesome dinner with Ian. We had a couple of huge avocados from the farm and Ian had the place whip up some guacamole. It was wonderful and everyone eyed everyone else wondering who was going to grab and lick the bowl. After the meal, we had Ian try some of Juan's pulasan...which he really liked. We shared some mangos from Harry which were unbelievable. Sheehan picked up a soursop somewhere. We all wish he would have left it where he found it!! LOL! I was up till about 2:00 a.m. cleaning seeds.

Friday we got of to a little later of a start than normal. We headed up the mountain yet again to visit Bryan Brunner at Montoso Gardens. We visited Bryan last year and were very pleased to be given the opportunity again. Bryan has lots and lots to see. It took a good while to walk the grounds and see some of the nursery portions. We spent a good bit of time searching for one durian that had fallen from the tree. We never did find it in all of that jungle and steep slope.

After the tour, Bryan was generous and kind enough to help us bare root all of the plants that we accumulated during the week. He also supplied all of the packing materials and boxes for each of us. Bare rooting is a pain in the a$$! So the next time you go to complain about someone charging a bare root fee, take it from all of us and don't bitc#. It is time consuming, dirty, and wet work. This took us 2-3 hours and by this time everyone was dirty and plain beat...and hungry. After loading up all of the boxes in both cars, Bryan was also going to go with us to the post office in Maricao to make sure there were no problems there. Only one problem...someone lost the keys to their rental car...and it wasn't me! After a frantic search by all, it was determined that the jungle had swallowed them up for eternity. So while he tried to get satisfaction from the rental agency, me, Bryan and few others drove to the post office only to get there 10 minutes before they close! Whew! Just made it.

Bryan was again generous with his time and helped the key fumbler with the rental and towing agencies. He also invited him into his home and went and got pizza while waiting for the two truck. The rest of us??? Well, the six of us piled into MY car and boogied back to the hotel. This was quite a cozy arrangement and resulted in many LOL moments. Cleaned up and "walked" to a restuarant for dinner...close by. Too darn tired to drive anywhere. Saturday it was up and everyone off to the airport to head home.

Everyone we visited was in a class of their own. They all love and appreciate the land and the bounty it gives. They are knowledgeable and giving in all respects. We enjoyed the he!! out of each of them as I'm sure they enjoyed us and our appreciation of what they shared.

Fruits I got to enjoy: longan, mangosteen, pulasan, rambutan, mango, durian, abui, avocado, soursop, achachairu, g. madrono, g. accuminata, rollina, lansat, marang, ice cream bean, lemon drop mangosteen, genip, herranias.

Trees sent back: pulasan and durians, cherapu, grafted achachairu. Lots of cuttings and seeds.

Here's some pics of the various places. Unfortunately many pics somehow got deleted from the camera so the others will have to fill in some gaps. First stop is Ian Crown's farm. Couple of the guys picking pulasan.

Rambutan loaded with fruit. Just one of very many.

Hmmmm...pulasan.

Durian. His arms was just not long enough to keep it farther away!

Yellow rambutan

At Felipe's. The fruit below is madrono. Normally a delectible garcinia but this was past it's prime.

Felipe himself.

At Sherry's farm. You've all heard the song by Meatloaf... "will do anything for love"?? Well, apparently I will do anything for fruit! Up in a langsat tree tossing down fruit to the waiting hands below.

Some pulasan and durian seedlings I picked up at Ian's and Juan's.

Some fruit taken back to hotel for late night snacks and to get seeds.

At Juan Miranda's farm. Marang we were getting ready to open.

Goodness!

At Bryan's. Sheehan holding a 50lb. cheena. That's Bryan standing beside him. Robert later carried that beast way way WAY up the hill. Our iron man!

Nutmeg.

Durian.

Comments (37)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

man those look awesome. i wonder if i have a shot in hell getting a marang to fruit here.

rate the best in flavor, Pulasan, Rambutan, wild yellow Rambutan

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

It was Pulasan by 10 lengths.....not even a close race.

Harry

• Related Discussions

Puerto Rico trip coming up soon!

Q

Comments (9)
    Well, here it is 1:42AM and Im still awake! Guess its good a time as any to post pics from the trip, which was INCREDIBLE! I did find the coqie frog but didnt have the heart to remove them from paradise just to bring them to my set up =( but I did bring back a couple of broms and vines! =) here are a few pics, more to come =) The fine lady in the white hat standing with the big guy is my lovely wife! (the big guy is me) the lovely young lady in the white tee is my beautiful #2 daughter, #1 daughter couldnt make the trip =( in the background in both pics you can see the beautiful PR rainforest! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain053.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain017.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain037.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain032.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain029.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain026.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain024.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain023.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain022.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/pragain021.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/spin002.jpg
    ...See More

Puerto Rico trip

Q

Comments (15)
    Someone needs to decided what the actual name for all these garcinias are. Whenever I try to search for them each website calls it something different. Any idea whos right? How does the Achachairu taste? Ive been wondering about it since I saw Zimmern eat it on Bizarre Foods. Is Bryans book available in English? I remember seeing it in Spanish a while back.
    ...See More

Trying to find Puerto Rico addresses in GPS

Q

Comments (1)
    The base map installed in the unit may not include PR. You would have to buy the upgrade for it to find by address more than likely but you shouldn't have to do that to find the location if you have the latitude/longitude coordinates
    ...See More

Have you been to Puerto Rico?

Q

Comments (7)
    DH & I are going in about two weeks for a 5-day trip. We were also looking for a quick trip, nice weather, and a not-too-lengthy nonstop flight from a convenient airport. We like walking around & exploring urban areas on vacation, vs. spending all of our time on the beach, so we focused on the san juan area. In old san juan, el convento gets really good reviews, and was recommended by an attorney I met at a conference who lives in puerto rico; unfortunately el convento was sold out for part of our stay. So instead, we're staying at la concha, in the condado area just outside san juan (we also considered marriott stellaris but la concha had larger rooms). A few friends have gone to PR in the last few years, and loved it. They chose the resort approach, instead of staying close to or in san juan, maybe b/c they have kids or it may just be their preference. One family chose El Conquistador, raved about it, and went back the following year. Another family chose the Wyndham Rio Mar, in the same area as El Conquistador (near el yunque) but less expensive. I've noticed that there's less information about PR than other destinations, and wondered if travel agents might downplay the destination. But from what I've read, and my friends' reviews, I think that it will be fun. I did a short weekend trip to PR about 16 years ago while in law school, but I don't remember anything from that trip other than that the hotel was nice (ritz carlton) but not in convenient walking distance to most places, and that I enjoyed a day trip to el yunque.
    ...See More
  • mango_kush
    13 years ago

i read the other thread afterwards.

i always thought there were more cultivars of rambutan than pulasan, i wonder how variable they are.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

agree with harry tha pulsan was easily the best- but ( and sorry if i sound like a broken tape recorder) i dont particularly rate any of them except for the pulsan we had from a seedling tree at Juan's place- now that was spectacular.

Jay- amazing pics. much better than the ones I took. guess i was too busy shoving my face with fruit

• rayandgwenn
    13 years ago

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

How much were the grafted achachairu? Definitely looks like I should have went.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Looks like you guys had so much FUN!! thanks for sharing your adventures with us...Love the pictures! Keep them coming!

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

MK...definitely pulasan over rambutan any day. Not only is the taste better, but the flesh does not pull the seed coating off like rambutan does. The seedling pulasan we had at Juans was very very good. The down side was a larger seed at it was not free stone. The yellow rambutan was not near ripe but it was going to have a nice flavor. We tasted all kinds of rambutan and only Gerry was unimpressed. There are more cultivars of rambutan. I believe this is due to the fact that pretty much PR, Hawaii, and Malaysia is the only places doing anything with it. There are a few named varieties with Seebabat being the most known. Others are still a "numbered" variety. Many, like Ian's and Juan's, are seedling trees of Seebabat or one of the numbered varieties. There seems to be good variability with these grown from seed and most are coming out just as good as the parent or even better. This seems to be just opposite with the rambutan.

John...the grafted plants were $10 and $20. I grabbed a $20 plant. Kind of funny when everyone was grabbing $6 and $8 dollar plants...including breadfruit and breadnut, I of course find the one plant that cost the most! I think Sheehan's grafted Spanish Limes were at least $10 though.

• stressbaby
    13 years ago

Here are a few of my pics.
    Brian's farm, the creek:

Somebody has to stand up for the ornamentals:

Marang

Refreshments at Sherry's

Mangosteens

Guarana

I believe this to be a herrania

New fruit for me: longan, rambutan, pulasan, mangsteen, abiu, durian, guarana, soursop, herrania imbricata, achachairu, langsat, rollinia deliciosa, marang, eugenia victoriana, inga edulis

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

No one mentioned Cupuassu.....which I had never tried. I am not sure the one we had was ripe, in fact I think it wasn't, but it was interesting to me.

The dreaded durian collection along with an over ripe marang at Ian's:

Not sure why people go crazy for durian, but it sure is interesting horticulturally:

Some interesting things to me about the trip (aside from the characters in attendance) were (in no particular order):

-Mangosteens do not have to be cut or hacked open with a knife when they are fresh. The ones we get here in Florida literally have a shell to crack open. The fresh ones break open easily with your hands. And I did a lot of breaking. In fact, I could almost say that I had my fill of mangosteen early in our travels. It got to a point that I could never have imagined.....that being that I had had enough mangosteen.

-We also got to taste fresh clove. That was an interesting and exhillaring experience.

-The trees bearing rambutan and pulasan were not all that big. I had envisioned tall monsters required to reach frutiing size. This has of course set my imagination ablaze for trying to grow Pulasan here in Florida.

-Pulasan was just an amazing fruit to me. I enjoyed the rambutans we ate, but the Pulasans were really special. Each one I tried seemed better than the previous, ulitmately reaching climax at Juan's Farm with the seedling he had growing.

-Of course I couldn't leave Puerto Rico without getting a mango cultivar that I don't have amongst the 85 or so I have right now. The nursery we went to had grafted mangoes for $6 and I picked up one called Piniero. The sales people showed me an extremely large green fruit that had absolutley no evidence of anthracnose. I figured if they could grow that mango there with their 100 plus inches of rain per year, it might be a good tree to try in my yard.

Harry

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with Harry. The pulasan was a special hit with us last year and was again a huge hit this year. Can't say enough about it...except it should be cultivated more heavily. I'm going to try and turn my greenhouse into a pulasan farm!!

• jb_fla
    13 years ago

Did ya'll try langstat, and if so how was it?

jb

(hoping someone will say, hey, I don't have room for all the tree's I just bought...anyone want a pulasan? lol)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

The langsat we had was a shade short of being fully ripe. There was a part inside the fruits that had a bit of a bitter taste to it. However, the flesh of the fruit away from this core area was nice and sweet and quite good. Hard to describe the taste other than sweet and fruity. Definitely worth growing in my opinion.

Harry

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Pulasan, marang, mangosteen and acharachu (maybe langsat?) were probably the top fruits from PR (the only mango was not from PR).

Though the langsats were not 100% ripe, I did get what I believe to be a ripe fruit. Like Harry said, there was a central core that was very bitter but the fruit segments reminded me of a sweet grapefruit without the acid or bitterness. Natural tasting grapefruit candy? Definitely should be grown more.

-Ethan

• murahilin
    13 years ago

I forgot to eat my langsat. I think I left it in the hotel room. I've had it before but I can't remember what it tasted like, only that I did not care much for it. It is no Barbados cherry after all.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Good description, Ethan.....my mind was blank earlier when I trying to describe the flavor, but I do think there was a hint of a sweet grapefruit flavor to the langsat I ate also. And you are defintely correct, Sheehan, it was no Barbados Cherry for sure. LOL

Harry

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Well, I am going to have to plan my trips to PR better. I've never seen any of those fruits available when I'm there!

Did you get to try the corn ice cream at the little shop a block or so away from the HoJo's?

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is the one drawback of langsat. The longkong variety does not have that bitterness.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

TriangleJohn, some of the gents did get the corn ice cream and enjoyed it. Myself I went with a scoop of parcha and (sour)tamarind, unfortunately they were out or acerola. Did you hear the church bells while you were there? 6 am (3am west coast) every morning, it was a beautiful sound to hear, just early.

Jay, the only bitterness was the pithy core separating the fruit segments, just remove and on your way. Do seedling langstat grow faster than longkong cvs? I sure hope my grandkids like tropical fruit too.

-Ethan

• jb_fla
    13 years ago

I am growing duku-langsat, any bitterness associated with that?

Also, with the great reviews of the pulasan, I would be interested in how the compare with the better cv's of lychee?

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi Puerto Rico travelers,

I am glad to hear acharachu tastes so good. I will just have to be patient for 5-10 years before I can taste my own. I hope one day I can visit PR too.

Tomas

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Triangle John:

I had the corn ice cream which tasted very much like corn. I enjoyed it....it was interesting and different.

JB Fla:

I am a lychee lover and so the best cultivars of lychee are still some of my all time favorite fruits. The pulasan were at the same level of enjoyment, but different and new and exciting. So, if I had unlimited quantities of both, I'd probably eat both in equal quantities. Lychees are generally jucier and have more sub-acidity. The flesh of lychees does not adhere to the seed as pulasan's are want to do. Pulasan, at least one of them that we tried had a very complex and delicious flavor that did, as Lycheeluva mentioned in his post, had a flavor reminiscent of Black Currant. Other's had less complexity, but were still excellent in my opinion.

Harry

• stressbaby
    13 years ago

Hehe,

My family and friends go deaf with talk about the fruit but I can interest them again with the corn ice cream.

The pulasan was great. Only negative IMHO was that the flesh was either very adherent to the seed, or in the case of the freestone types we had, you came away with bits of seed coat with the flesh.

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ethan...the following is a comment from Ian concerning langsats:
    >>> Langsat is a remarkably different tree as it grows so fast, has a
    >>> massive and aggressive root system... and flowers after more time
    >>> than a mangosteen even when it is grafted. I remember the bare
    >>> rooted trees; the roots looked like handfuls of pasta. Seeing the
    >>> roots of a tree tells you a lot about its growth and vigor. Witness
    >>> the sad little roots on young mangosteens.

Sherry's langsat was very very big and tall. The longkong trees we saw in Thailand were no where near this big and were fruiting heavily. I don't know how old they were. Bernie Dizon claims that he can get them to fruit much sooner than normal by using multiple rootstocks. Check out his site. It is very interesting and he's obviously done some amazing stuff.

The longkong does not have that bitterness that you experienced with the langsat. It is just complete and total goodness! Just don't bite into a seed...then you will know what bitterness is all about! And the absolute BEST way to eat them is sitting in the back of an SUV while your wife's mother peels them for you!! Warren and I was quite enjoying this part of the trip. As long as she was peeling...we were shoveling them down!

Montoso will occassionally have grafted longkong available... if David ever gets around to grafting again!

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

So there is hope for me growing langsat, I didn't want to have to gum the fruit in my old age. Now to get the seeds to sprout.

thanks for the info,
    -Ethan

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Looks like paradise to me! The marang is my favorite and I didn't know there was yellow Rambutan! How very exciting!! I have to be invited next year!! LOL
    Bo

• north_tree_man
    13 years ago

Great pics...I'm soooooo jealous!

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. It was a blast. Ethan, the seeds should come up no problems. It's getting them to giddyup that is what's frustrating!

• caiden
    13 years ago

Thanks for the account and pictures--it sounds like a great time! I'm impressed by the herrania; it looks like a jellyfish! The durian in the pictures looks terribly small and unripe--were you actually able to eat it? The nutmeg also looks great; I hope someday I'll get to try a marang.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

The herrania looked beautiful and the H. umbricata tasted nice too. None of the durians in this thread were eaten, just collected. The ones we ate are in the other thread. The durian hanging from the rope was FULL flavored, the smaller one was much better IMHO. I dont know what part of HI you are on but try contacting Fruit Lowers nursery (fruitlovers*dot*com), I believe it is marang season right now.

-Ethan

Here is a link that might be useful: More info and photos about the PR trip

• Eggo
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing pics of the trip. Looks like a great time! Very envious right now. ahahah.

• sjpickart
    12 years ago

Hello fellow fruit lovers.

So, I am going to PR for the first time with my family the second week of January.

I am obsessed with fruit and growing (or trying to grow) tropical fruit bearing trees. I live in WI so I move my plants indoors in the winter, but anyways I have some major questions for you all:

1. I'm going in January so what are your thoughts on this time of year and fruit picking?

2. Ok, I NEED a "pocket book" identification guide for tropical fruit plants/trees. I have been searching for hours online for any kind of book that would fit my needs to do this and can't find what I need. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR TITLES OF BOOKS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

3. I am not going to be able to travel all over the island in direct search for fruit. We are staying in Luquillo. We will be taking a sailboat from Luquillo to the islands off the east coast for a day. Any good fruit to be searched for there? I may have some free-time to do so on that day..

4. I will be in the rainforest for a day. Any suggestions on free-lance fruit searching in there?

5. We will be traveling across the island to the West coast on one day to try and see the whales. I wanted to try and stop at a coffee plantation on the way to grab some coffee plants and HOPEFULLY SEEDS TO PLANT AT HOME! Any suggestions on which plantation to stop at?? It'd be best if they had other fruits too that I could check out??

6. What place had the best grafted trees for sale?

7. I plan on bringing back a lot of seeds and hopefully some cuttings that I can ziplock baggie and take home and try to root. If I wash the seeds thoroughly as well as the cuttings, and there is no soil in the bags, will I have a lot of issues with the inspection at the Airport in Customs?

8. ANY HELP WOULD BE AMAZING FROM YOU ALL!! I enjoyed reading your forums and literally cannot STOP researching PR right now. I want to enjoy sooo much fruit and try and grow some back home!! THANK YOU!!

Sarah

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your best bet is to hope Gwenn sees this post. She lives on that side of the island and will be better suited to help. I wouldn't count on a lot of types of rare fruit just now. August is usually the time when the best ones are fruiting and very few of those will find their way to a market. I will check though.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

As Jay said, Gwenn would be your best bet for these answers but I will try and answer a few if I can.

1. Not sure about what's available now.
    2. If you can read Spanish, Bryan Brunner's book is awesome. I can't read Spanish and I still bought the book. It should have all the fruits available in PR and the seasons. Since I can't read Spanish I don't know if it actually has the seasons or not but I assume it does. So it may be helpful with your first question also. The one reviewer on Amazon is an idiot for giving it two stars just because he didn't describe the taste of the fruit as in depth as the reviewer would have liked.: Arboles Frutales Exoticos Y Poco Conocidos En Puerto Ricohttp://www.amazon.com/Arboles-Frutales-Exoticos-Conocidos-Spanish/dp/0847723461/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324228021&sr=8-1

3. No idea.

4. I was in the rainforest once. I didn't see any fruit. Gween lives near the Rainforest I think though so she may know where you can find fruit there.

5. I think one of the guys who went to PR with us has family who owns a coffee plantation. I will ask him.

6. http://jardineseneida.com/ That's the nursery where we bought all of our grafted trees. It's on the west coast near Mayaguez

7. Make sure to declare all seeds and cuttings to customs in the airport. They allow mostly everything but if they find out you didn't declare it you can get in a lot of trouble. There is a list of actual fruit you can bring back also. Ask for it in the airport when you arrive.

• jhl1654
    12 years ago

My goodness. So many fruit trees! I need to pack up and retire there. Imagine not having to worry about losing my fruit trees in the winter

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Here I am- let me see if I can help a bit.

1- not a ton of stuff fruiting now/Jan, but you will be able to get bananas, citrus, canistel, Jobos (spondias), papaya, breadfruit, breadnut, maybe avocados, and some local pineapples (MD2). Maybe some other stuff.

2-Bryan's book is great but it is all in Spanish. There is a small book called Fruit Trees of the Caribbean by Sandra Hewitt that is very basic, but nice.

3- not much on those little islands...maybe you will find an Icacos tree, but the fruit is nasty!

4-In the rain forest itself...there may be a stray citrus, bananas (a few types), breadfruit and mango trees, Jamaican Cherry trees might be seen along the road sides in some places.

5/6- I wouldn't spend too much time whale watching, there really aren't a lot to see (I tried twice and never saw any). But if you travel down to Mayaguez, visit the UPR research center. And the best place to get the grafted trees is Jardin Eneidas that Jay mentioned. The coffee plantations are a bit of a drive from anywhere! But they are pretty. I did the Pomarrosa plantation tour.

7- Honestly, the USDA here is a joke. They Xray your bags, but I don't think they really try too hard. The list of things you can't take back is small- mainly things that grow as cash crops in the States (cotton, citrus, mango etc). I have the list somewhere, I will post it when I get a chance later.

I live right in the rain forest. My place has been hit hard by rain and my neglect these last few months, but you are welcome to stop over. I have coffee plants- there might be some fruit ready for you to take to grow. On S191, there is an organic grower of fruit trees- Robin Phillips. He will have some unusual stuff.

Email me.