SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
l_w_davis

Super Sweet 100 - how to transplant

l_w_davis
11 years ago

im in fayetteville, arkansas.

we are having a rather late winter. it might get to freezing again tonight w/ storms and rain. I think in a couple of days we will finally be past the really cold night temps.

I bought a couple of super sweet 100 plants from my local nursery on Sunday. They are basically in some solo cups right now.

the plants are almost two feet tall already and little tiny yellow flowers have just emerged this morning.

Im sure these things are definitely ready to be transplanted, but im going to have to wait until the weather gets a little better. They are currently sitting on my kitchen table in front of the window.

I plan on planting the two plants in an 18 gallon plastice tote.

I am going to drill drainage holes in the bottom, and also drill holes in the sides for oxygen.

I am going to put some gravel in the bottom for drainage as well.

I am making trellises out of bamboo and twine for support.

Some questions now:

-how deep do i plant them? do i plant them up to the first set of leaves? or should they be planted at the same level as they grow in the cup (i have read conflicting things)

-when and what kind of fertilizer should I use? any info on that would be helpful as i know nothing about fertilizer

-how often should I water?

between the gravel and the dirt, this tub is going to be quite heavy so i dont really plan on moving it once I get it established.

any answers or advice are appreciated.
thanks

Comments (31)