SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marinfla

An Amazing Find- and probably a new cultivar!

marinfla
12 years ago

I had the great fortune of being gifted a bounty of mangoes by a friend who has a very productive tree in her yard and she doesn't care much for mangoes. The tree is of average height (maybe 20 feet)and growth habit. Perfect size for a small yard!

It was grown from a seed of unknown origin. The woman who planted the tree passed away and took the secret of the seedling origin with her when she departed. I am guessing by the size of the trunk to be about 20 yrs old. Below is a picture of the mangoes. They are very large... ranging from 3-4 lbs. They are super juicy, sweet with a slight hint of spice and almost no fiber. I have sprouted a few already for root stock and below are pictures of my very first attempt and adventure into the world of grafting. Lord knows I read A LOT and watched enough videos to get enough nerve to try it. I got budwood today and grafted two side veneer grafts onto a 2 year old seedling and cleft grafted a younger root stock. I have to propagate this tree, give it a name and get it out there because it is just that amazing!! I hope the first grafts take...sitting here with fingers crossed and prayers. Then I can get some help from the experts in trying to guess at the parentage of this gem.

The Bounty...a small seedless watermelon in the back for size comparison:

The Largest of The Mangoes:

My Tools:

The 2 yr old root stock:

The First of the Veneer Grafts:

With the second graft added above the first:

The Cleft graft on the young seedling:

Comments (25)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!