SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfed_gw

First Timer - Garden Location?

cfed
15 years ago

(originally posted on another forum, but this one looks much more active/informative!)

Ok, I've decided to take the plunge and start a garden. I have a nice backyard and I'm not doing anything with it, and I love fresh veggies... so it just made sense. I want my focus to be tomatoes. I want so many tomatoes I can't find enough people to give them away to. I also plan to include some squash and herbs (mostly basil). Thanks to Google Maps I attached an aerial photo of my yard, and highlighted some notable features. There are two crape myrtles I drew a blue circle around since they weren't very visible. And the back left corner of the yard is facing due north, for sunlight / shadow considerations. I'm in Marietta, GA which I believe is zone 7.

{{gwi:1316399}}

The interesting thing is that the yard has two very different areas in regards to drainage and moisture. The area indicated by the yellow box seems to retain a LOT more moisture in the soil than the rest of the yard. The weeds absolutely go wild in the yellow zone. My initial thinking was that if the weeds thrive here, maybe veggies would too... but now I read that high moisture isn't as desirable for tomatoes. The rest of the yard drains exceptionally well, which is bad news for my grass during drought conditions / restricted watering! So, my seasoned dirt-ninjas, where do I unleash my tiller?

Garden placement aside, my current progress is that I have some Brandywine red tomato seedlings under grow lights. I'll post some pictures when I get home later. They're looking really nice though! I'm scheduled to get some Stupice, Lillian's Yellow, Cherokee Chocolate, and Aunt Ruby's German Green seeds in this week. I realize I'm a bit late to the game as far as starting my seeds, but the only thing I could find at local nurseries were better boy hybrids, which didn't interest me terribly much. Will I be ok? Or should I just save the seeds for next year, suck it up and buy some plants?

Comments (6)