SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

HAVE: San Antonio Fall Plant Swap

DATE: Saturday, October 9, 2010

TIME: 9:00 until......

PLACE: MacArthur Park on Loop 410 in San Antonio. Google maps will give directions.

PAVILLION #1. It has several large tables with benches. Bring your own sack lunch and drink. A dessert to share would be yummy :-)

The main theme for the SAPS is to enjoy the company of other gardeners, keep things loose, & have fun.

We all bring our extra plants, plus any garden related "stuff" like garden magazines, iron fence pieces, baskets, buckets, pots, manure, fertilizer, etc.

Pre-trades are good, since you know you'll be getting something you want, & you know your stuff is getting a new home.

You can swap anything for anything, no "rules" about seed-for-seed, plant-for-plant, etc; as long as the gardeners agree, there you go.

You can swap a Ferrari for a package of tomato seeds if you want (or a cow for a package of magic beans ;-)!

Just post what you have & what you want, & people can reply with offers. once both gardeners agree they're in business!

Do not remove plants or other items from tables. Plants and things no longer up for trade are placed beneath the tables and are off limits.

It's handy to put your pre-trades for each person in a box with that person's name on it & jot down on the label or box what you are to get from that person.

If you have room in your vehicle, it's good to bring a card table, cart or little red wagon.

Loose comfy clothing, comfy shoes, a hat, maybe a sweater, water, hand lotion or sun block, newspapers for packing, Sharpies, notebook, camera, labels, etc are all good things to have on hand "just in case".

Even if you don't have much extra plants or garden material for trading yet, cookies & brownies go over very well. We don't worry about even-steven trades.

Many of us have been doing this for several years, & we *always* have tons of plants that we'll trade for a token or even "free to good home".

(Even if you've only decided to start a garden on Friday night, by Saturday afternoon, you can start working on your garden!)

We also bring fun stuff for door prize drawings. You can bring anything garden related like used or new books, pots, decorative items, tools, gloves, etc. for the drawing. We like to have lots of things so everybody gets something.

There will be a can for donations to cover the $65.00 cost of renting the pavilion.

See you there!

Comments (150)

• phoenix7801
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Horse Dookey right here! I need some to start alot of compost piles. Also I'd like to do some sheet composting too. Ask her if she'd like anything from my list!

• renatelynne
    13 years ago

I could probably use a small bag to put in my composter to help jump start it.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Fall Plant Swap- Austin/San Antonio Oct 18

Q

Comments (21)
    As always, it's great to see everyone and meet new people. Thanks to Margie for having us. Thanks to everyone who donated toward the door prizes which were received with glee ! And last but not least, thank you Charlotte for doing what you do. Thanks also to Curt !! A sweetie of the best kind ! I don't always have negative things to say, and when I do, I don't always verbalize them. However, I want to mention something that really bothered me. When I got home, I noticed that some plants were gone, which I didn't remember anyone asking for. Meaning: people took plants off the table without asking for them. Now, most of you know me and you know that I will give you anything I have. All I've ever wanted was to be asked first. I even have a sign on my table saying to find me if you're interested in something. I might be on the other side of the room telling someone I have a _______ plant for them, and then get to my table and find it gone. Or, as in the case yesterday, I brought a pot of rain lily bulbs. They weren't potted. They were loose, so that people could take a few bulbs and leave some for others. Someone must have taken the whole container. Which would have been fine, if no one else had wanted any, but I also wanted to keep the pot I had them in. I'm short on pots right now and wanted to hold onto whatever I could. But the person did not ask. If they had, I could have told them I wanted to keep the pot. This is a plant SWAP.... not a plant TAKE. I do not always need a plant in return. Often, I may already have what someone else is offering. There were some people I did not receive a plant from yesterday, and that's fine with me. But if you want something of mine, please, pretty please, all you have to do is ask. As a courtesy to everyone who attends these swaps, please take the time to find the person who owns the plants, and ask them if you can have the plant you crave, and offer something from your own table. After all, that's one reason we wear name tags. Patty
    ...See More

Fall San Antonio Plant Swap Date October 12, 2013

Q

Comments (2)
    About eight weeks out I'll set up a thread for exchanges so everyone can check in and discuss the swap. There are very few rules because the trades take place person to person. Otherwise we post a few basic reminders at swap time.
    ...See More

Fall San Antonio Plant Swap, Oct. 8

Q

Comments (154)
    Tonya, Karen and I were the last there, waiting for Meredith before we headed over to Ragna's. We walked around to make sure all trash was picked up and I spotted the willow peeking over the top of the trash can. I told Karen the awful secret you shared with me and knew we had to rescue it. Luckily it was a plant that Karen wanted.... you should have heard the lust in her voice..... so she took it home to give it life! :-) Thank you everyone who brought me goodies ! patty
    ...See More

San Antonio fall 2018 plant swap, Saturday, Oct. 13

Q

Comments (95)
    Would anyone be interested in vegetable sets? I have quite a few left after planting my garden. I also have some rooted purslane cuttings and plan to root some cuttings this weekend from my Lady Banks rose bush.You can find out about varieties here. -> http://happenings.hereinmygarden.com/
    ...See More
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shirley, if you still have one of the BOSTON FERN's left I would like to trade with you for it.

• castro_gardener
    13 years ago

Okay, you three.... I've emailed to let her know that you DO want the DOO. I need to get her set up on GardenWeb to see what you're offering in return then you guys can work it all out. She's at a new job so give us some time to get back to you.

thanks,
    patty

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Roselee - I do have a Boston Fern for you.

If anyone else wants one let me know and I'll just divide them off the main plant. It's easier for me to manage over the winter and better for the plant.

--Shirley

• renatelynne
    13 years ago

How well would it handle outside in the winter or is it one I would have to put in the cold frame?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Well, I just got back from Rockport today, I was gone for 3 weeks. When I got there, I started cuttings, from my bleeding heart, and from a few other plants. I will check next week to see if I have had any luck. They still look green so I hope they took. I will bring them to the swap.
    I have so far for sure in pots:
    Esparanza " yellow Bells"
    Duranta " Sweet Memories"- Kathy I have you down for 1
    Tropicanna Canna- holidng one for Shirely and Roselle
    giant red leaf crinum
    whiute salvia
    afriacn hosta
    yellow mexican bird of paradise
    rooting are 1 yellow plumeria- from Hawaii
    rooting- red and pink bleeding heart
    rooting- red and white bleeding heart

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kathy please hold me a white constance passion vine, I love it. Barbra

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Honeybunny2, I'm interested in your giant red leaf crinum. Please check out my list, let me know if anything I can trade you. Thank you.

Tia

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Tia, I would be interested in the variegated elephant ears, and the dutchman pipe if it is the giant one, I already have the small one. Barbra

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Barbra, the ee is yours. I'm not sure if the Dutchman pipe is the giant one but the flower is 8 inches long. I'm trying to root it on cuttings but not sure if it's working. If you can do it I'm happy to bring you a bunch of cuttings.

Tia

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Tia, that is the big one, that I am looking for. Please bring me one. If you want the small one I can bring you one the small one has a green and white leaf, with a small green pipe on the vine. I bought it from Schumachers in New Braunfels Tx. I am not good at rooting stuff, I am learning myself. I will check next week to see how well I did. I put my cutting right in the ground next to the mother plant. Barbra

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Hi everyone I WANT I WANT!!! I see so many plants! so many traders GREAT! I would love to have if at all possible: white passion vine cuttings or plant, red passion vine, variegated ee, if any available, the giant dutchman pipe cuting or plant.the yellow plumeria cutting, the bleeding hearts, I HAVE purple passion vine, 1 dble white rose of sharon, small adenium color? small seedlings of Texas mountain Laurel, variegated century plant, some thornless cactus,seeds for various flowers. some hard back books on dried flowers.2 or 3 monthly planner for 2011.some permanent markers. odds and ends that I will bring to the swap, I realize its not much ,. Does anyone wants a puppy? small dog he is a mutt.If anyone interested I will bring him/her with me.Will come back and check how this is going later in the week.Thanks everyone. Marcie

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Barbra, I bought mine last year at Nelson water garden in Katy. We had an unusual cold winter last year in Houston and it died to the ground but came back strongly. Although I saw only 4 flowers so far, they were beautiful. On my have list I only offer cuttings as I don't have any extra plants (yet). I'm trying to root them. I placed each cutting in the wet foam and bury them in a pot filled with perlite. It's been 10 days and I haven't seen any new growth yet but the cuttings are still very green and fresh. There is hope :).

Tia

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

White passion vine for Marcie. check

Kathy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Tia, I understand you posted just a cutting, I know that it will be a shot in the dark, but I am willing to take it. I have only cuttings of the bleeding hearts, and I will not know for sure until next weekend if they took, but I posted them anyway. I also have datura double yellow and double purple and white to offer, I unloaded them and forgot to put on my list. Tia would you like one of each. They love either full sun or partial sun. I will also try and bring a blood banana, I saw a pup come up this last week, and will try and dig it up next weekend, it was too wet to do anything last week, with all the flooding. Prince Albert, I am brining you a ROOTED double brugmanansia. I hope you like yellow its " Angels Swingtime"
    Marcie if the bleeding heart cuttings take, I will put you down for one. They still were green when I left, I put them in the ground 3 weeks ago. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Gee, I don't know what happened, I posted a diffrent message, so here goes again.

Kathy did you save a white passion vine for me? You did not post when I asked for one?

Marcie, I will hold the cutting of the yellow plumeria for you, I just took the cutting yesterday.

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Barbra, I LOVE datura and brugs and yes I would like to have them. Thank you.

Marcie, I'll bring you EE, cutting of Dutchman's pipe, red passion vine.

Tia

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Barb, I have you down for the white passion vine.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Tonya, If you still have Blue Chiquita Salvia, I would love some.

I going to take a guess here that Ragna/Roseless will want that one too.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Roseless? How did I post that? Certainly not "Roseless" by any means.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Tia, do you have any more of the red passion vine? If so I would like one. I was not going to bring any brugmansia, except one for Prince Albert, it was left over from my spring cuttings that I won on Ebay. I should have doubles next year, I lost all my doubles, from the Dec freeze, and had to start over this spring with cuttings. I can take a cutting from Xena, when we go down this weekend, and I can show you how to root it at the swap. If you want rooted plants, Tonya is getting rid of her peach and yellow brugmansia at the swap. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shirley, 'Roseless' made me laugh so much I almost choked on my salad. Especially since I've ordered four more roses that will be coming in next week!

And you're right about "Blue Chiquita" !!!! I didn't even know what that was. So Tonya I'd love to have a rooted plant if you have one, and some cuttings that I could try to root as well. Is it a fall bloomer, or does it bloom earlier in the summer also?

Also would like to ask you to dig some Lyrata "purple knockout". What else can I bring for you?

Thank you!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Tonya, if you have extra purple knockout, could you bring some for me? I love anything purple. I will go to Lowes on tuesday, to see if they have anything marked down that I can bring to the swap. Sometimes they have such great deals. I have not been there in such a long time, they probably think I died. Barbra

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Barbra, I will bring you red passion vine cuttings. I might be able to give you the rooted cuttings, i'll wait to see if they take.

Edible bog plants, water plants, anyone?!? I'm not taking them back home again. :)

Tia

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I finally had time to read the above threads, and just wanted to tell Renatelynne, that I know exactly how she feels. I had a total knee replacement on 6-1-09, I had totally lost my interest in plants. They were dying because I could not water, in those hot 100 degree days, and I did not even care. I just wanted you to know that when you start to feel better, your green thumb returns. Maybe you do not feel like planting stuff right now, but we have another swap in April, and by then you should feel much better. I can't wait to meet you on Oct 9th, and see everyone else. Barbra

• nbtonya
    13 years ago

Hello again everybody!
    Shirley and Ragna, yes "Chiquita" is blooming right now. I will see what rooted plants I still have and bring either a rooted plant or cutting of her to each of you. If the cuttings don't take I can give you as many baby plants as you want in the spring. She is VERY productive, kind of like "Lady in Red"! I was pulling up babies for a couple of weeks!

Ragna and Barbra, gotcha down for some purple knockout.

For those of you that asked for Walker's Low. I thought the large mass I had was coming up from roots, but appears to be just long "branches" so I have quite a few cuttings in water trying to root those before the swap. I will bring those, hopefully with some roots already on them! If they have enough roots to pot up by then, I will try to put them in pots.

Love this cooler weather BTW!

Tonya

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Have: Red Flowering Yucca, which is actually an Agave according to the online info. Grows fast, flowers every spring, common in commercial landscapes.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Thanks Tonya. The S. Chiquita is blooming beautifully at ARE right now.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

I will be putting up my list of haves next tuesday 5 Oct.
    I know that is short fused but maybe somebody may want some of them. The reason for the short fuse is I will be out of town.

honeybunny, I am honored with the Brug.

Everyone feel free to look at my photobucket a lot of the items I'm bringing are there.
    http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu5/1prince-albert/

pa

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Albert~ I would love a cutting of a white brug and another of the pink.

I don't have much to trade this time. But the dark blue agapanthus is very pretty. If you want a start of that let me know.

Kathy aka plantmaven

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kathy, I would love to have one of the dark blue agapanthus. I have a large root beer plant, tall pink mexican petunias, pink coneflowers, up for grabs. Barbra

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Sure Barb. But I don't want anything.

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Princealbert, Can I have some cuttings of the big white brug that you took picture with? Let me know what I can get for you in return. Thank you very much.

Tia

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Tia (waterjasmin),
    you certainly may. I will cut them the night before. I'll also look and see if I have any rooted cuttings.

Kathy aka plantmaven,
    I'll bring a bucket of the white ones and a couple of pinks too. I may even cut a couple of stray branches off the varigated one.
    It'a almost time to cut the white one back to put up the temp greenhouse. It has not had but 1 flush this year. I believe because of the hot wx.
    pa

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Patty, I'd like to have your crinums and cannas, if they are still available. I will bring you some crafts that I made. Thank you.

Patty said: "Plants under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home." But there is no rule about secretly putting plants under ppl's table hahaha. Just a thought. I'm suppose to go home with less than what I brought.

Tia

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone want RED CANNAS. I can dig a few. They are about 4 ft all and their flowers are smallish, but bright red and if watered and fertilized each plant will have 5 to 6 blooms stalks one after the other. They are my favorites.

Barbra, I'd like to "grab" some PINK CONEFLOWERS!

PA, your pictures are wonderful! You'll have lots of visitors to your table :-)

Looking forward to seeing all of you!

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Here are my promised items. If I forgot anyone, please let me know.

Barb Fox
    white passi
    phlox
    agapanthus

Ragna
    reve d'o cuttings
    white passi

Meredith
    garlic chives
    crinum
    agapanthus

Patty
    agapanthus

Joey
    agapanthus

Marcie
    white passi

Waterjassimine
    white passi

• nbtonya
    13 years ago

Barbra, if you have any pink coneflowers left, would love one!

Prince Albert, what is that frilly peach hibiscus in your photobucket that has a dark center and a frilly stamen? Would love a cutting of that, if possible. Is there anything on my list that interests you?

I hope to add a couple of things to my list when I have a chance to see what I have out there!

Tonya

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have lots of seeds on the MALABAR SPINACH and PENTAPETE (which is still putting on a nice show) but I don't know if they will be ripe by trade time.

So if you want seeds to these bring a self addressed envelope and I'll mail them to you.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Roselee, and Tonya, I have both of you down for pink coneflower. I also have to offer blue plumbego, one or two variegated ginger, and yellow butterfly weed. I can also bring cuttings from my Flores Street Eater Rose, I grew from stolen cuttings from the actual plant on Flores Street. This is suppost to be the first rose in the state of Texas. It is cream color, and has beautiful blooms, easy to root. I got the cuttings for a lady that lives in Dallas, I had to mail her the cuttings, but my husband stuck some in a pot on the back porch and they took. I will also bring some plants I bought from Schumachers many years ago, and forgot to write down the names of( I am sure Patty will be able to tell me when I get there. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Roselee, I would like a chocolate plant and also fruit cocktail shrimp plant, if they are still available.

Meredith you put down that you wanted anything that grows in the shade. I have a large Rootbeer plant, that is beautiful, and loves the shade. It grows large, has the tropical look, and when in bloom, smells just like rootbeer, would you want me to add that to your list? Barbra

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Barb, I was thinking that Flores St. rose just recently.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kathy do you remember how I almost got arrested, getting those cuttings for that gal in Dallas? I still can't belive I did that. The thread asked for anyone in San Antonio area, begging them to take cutting from the rose, because it was going to be destroyed, by construction the next week. I went down after work, started cutting from the sidewalk. The owner came out and asked me what I was doing?I think I almost fainted. The lady from Dallas drove down, but had an emergency. She had to leave before I got off work, so she never got all those cuttings. I never wanted the Rose, I was just trying to help. That was the day I became a Rose Rustler.
    The owner of the Rose Emporium, worked where I did, and he really wanted that rose, but I never got back with him. Barbra

• princealbert
    13 years ago

nbtonya,
    Yes it is if you are talking about the poodle tail one.
    I got it at walmart, and saw them at Lowes too.
    I will whack off a cutting the day before the meet and mark it for you.

honeybunny,
    So you are another one of those plant rescuers.
    I carry clippers and an army shovel around in case I run across something that needs rescueing. LOL
    I may call you tomorrow evening, but don't be upset if I don't I may be too tired. There is lots of grass to mow down there in ap.
    pa

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Barb, I do remember that. But I did not realize you were the one involved. That's ok, you are not the first criminal I have known.
    Diane got arrested once for using a curse word in public.

Long BS story. LOL!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Gosh Kathy, Maybe its not such a good idea to bring Gary. He could end up in prison. He just walked out in a suit, and told me to watch the news at noon, he would probaly be on. I never knew there was a law against cursing in public! No, its something to do with the SA Airport security, and SAC. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Here's the requests I have so far, please let me know if I missed anyone

Joey - Areca Palm, Boston Fern
    Ragna - Boston Fern, Creeping Jenny
    Marcie - Creeping Fig, Angel Wing Begonia (These are from the last swap)
    Barb - Angel Wing Begonia

Shirley

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Joey - I also have Spider plants, Green and Variegated, for you.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Here is the list that I have, please let me know if I have forgotten anyone.

Kathy- Duranta" Sweet Memories
    Roselee- Tropicanna Canna
    Pink Coneflower
    Tonya - Pink Coneflower
    Marcie -Yellow Plumeria cutting
    Bleeding heart cutting, that may be rooted
    Price Albert- Double Brug small plant
    Shirley - Tropicana Canna
    African Hosta
    Meredith - Red Leaf crinium
    African Hosta
    Bleeding heart cutting, that may be rooted