SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skohler_gw

NEW: obf 's 4th of july xmas 2007 swap

skohler
16 years ago

{{gwi:1277125}}

OurBloomin Friends Friendship Swap Group was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between the group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you. Please be a successful member of garden web and have had a trade with two or three of our members. Membership requests should be directed to veeja/carol via email.

WELL I CAN'T GET THE HANG AS TO DO ALL THE FANCY

COLORS & ALL FANCY GRAPHIC BUT IT IS TIME

FOR OUR 4TH OF JULY XMAS 2007 .

RULES ARE EASY anything pertaining to xmas or

the feast of xmas :)))

1 any type of plant that sound like ' christmasy "

or is christmas colors ;)))

2 a named red Daylily

3 1 small bag of diet /reg candy

4 one special xmas ornament "Made By you "

or boughten your choice .

ANYTHING ELSE ADDED TO THE BOX IS UP TO YOU

But just think xmas.

OH and to make this interresting I have a list of red daylilies also a list of candies 3 each :))) .

the first one to post as to what their xmas box

contained & have the name of candy or daylily

that is on my list will receive there choice

of ANY DAYLILY OR PLANT OF YOUR CHOICE

from my gw page :)) no MAtter WhAT it is as long

as it can be shipped :)))

let the bells ring If you cannot play this month

please let us know Hope you can join the

fun :)))

susie

Comments (114)

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi ladies just wanted to share with you all :))

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Happy July 4h to everyone....I love this Country and I'm so proud to be an American. I have worked way to hard today my back is killing me.

Shirley

• Related Discussions

NEW: obf june swap sign-up!

Q

Comments (99)
    MARYANNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! I received your box today, and lady, you sure pack a great swap box!!! HOLY-COW!!!! Gals, this huge box was FULL of plants and she also managed to get a few fun items in too! For reds - 5 fans of Granny Garnet Iris, Lillium in 1) Samur, 2) LaToya, 3) Avignon Whites - Yarrow, astilbe "Rock & Roll", White leaf with green margin hosta Blues - Halycon Hosta, tradesandia "Purple Profusion", Night Ember daylily and of course, Blue Fescue grass! LOL!! And just for summer fun, there was also a nice clump of mint as well as FIVE Rose of Sharon starts!! Now, for the fun stuff - Earthly also sent a red/white tablecloth, 2 plastic USA cups, the cutest little wooden Americana angel, incense, a new fairy/frog address book, a flag keychain, a great tin sign in Americana which says "3 cheers for the red, white & blue", and even a US flag! To top off this red, white & blue theme, she included a Patriot Hosta!!!!! MaryAnne, I really am thrilled with EVERYTHING you included in this great swap box! And I did not have any of the plants, except the Patriot hosta, which I LOVE & wanted more of! Thank you so much!! Susann
    ...See More

NEW: 'obf' christmas in 'july' sign-up

Q

Comments (130)
    MARIE! I would love to come there this weekend! BUT, it would be 3hrs away from us and with gas prices, and me not working...... I've been job hunting, and there is not much here for my skills, seems most places want LPN's, RN's, and CNA's. Not MA's. And although the thought of staying home with my 3yr old son this summer is nice, it's just not in the finances. I am fighting unemployment right now, they don't seem to think my quiting my job to move to another state so that me and my then 2yr old son could be together with his Father and older brother is a good enough reason. Evidently, they feel that a 2yr old seeing his Dad 3 times over a 9 month period of time is plenty! I have a court date this Thur. AM. It will be a 3 way conf. call with the judge, my previous employer, and myself. I am getting pretty anxious about it and my tummy is in knots! This is the 3rd level of my appeal and I guess there is only one more level after this. I really thought that by the time this all came about I would be working, you can't even find jobs at fast food places with the college kids home right now, and of course if the pay doesn't cover the cost of daycare and gas there isn't much sense in it. But ya never know, if it goes my way I might be able to talk Jamie into it, he keeps asking what I want for my Bday on friday and it is going to be the big 4-0 So I should get something special!! Of course I was thinking along the lines of a load of dirt and a trip to the local nursery LOL! BTW, do you think you could save me some of those tangerine coneflower seeds this fall? They are beauties! Also....I think you will make a fine hostess!! Like Remy said, you already came up with a great name! Remy, Wow, what a trip, I did some searching around here but haven't found a daylily farm yet! Got to go renew my Drivers Lic and get another beautiful DMV photo taken! Take care girls! Vic
    ...See More

All my bloomin friends x-mas in July swap

Q

Comments (118)
    Hi Ladies Just a quick note to Let you all know that so far today we have raised over $ 2000 . We are all On a very exciting High :)) as to how our 1st day of sales has gone :)) I'm so tired tonight but the day was so filled with so many good people :)) we had the trucker's on their CB's telling others of the food we had :)) . what a day & I can tell it is going to get better :)) To All Our June Bloomin Friends Birthday Gals I was happy to do it they were just small tokens & glad they arrived ok :)) Well I have to go lay back & unwind . will be back I hope tomorrow evening . My xmas box will be going out after the 4th . :))) Have a great night all . susie
    ...See More

new: obf christmas swap

Q

Comments (103)
    Just perfect Melinda, that apron was meant for you! Couldn't believe I saw you post a pic on FB with that saying and here I had sent the package with that apron. Telepathy or something!!!! The jam I will send to you as an email once I jot it down. This was my first year making it, and it won't be my last. It's been a real winner. I have an insane collection of Santa's. He's the tallest one I have. My granddaughter sometimes calls him her pretend grandpop! I thought he was a beauty when I first laid eyes on him, and lo and behold, after Christmas one year, he was marked down by 50%, so I treated myself. Still more than I would have normally wanted to put out, but I think at that time, I had a bunch of money!!!!! He's a little over 5' tall. Shirley, why not take a different month? And I'll light a fire under Carol's butt....she's just coming back from her grandson's wedding, so it takes her a little time to get back in to the groove. I fell like I have been doing laundry all weekend...two loads to go for the wash and then i'm done for a few weeks or more. Got all the new Christmas clothes down for everyone, and everybody gets new sheets and stuff, aside from the regular dirty stuff, and i'm pooped. kitchen is clean, dog is bathed, i'm halfway there with my contribution for new years. this coming week i'll tackle my granddaughter's room...best to do that when she's at school. then it's time for the basement which I dread, but it needs to be organized, once again Well, hope everyone has a great New year celebration. We are heading up the mountains, probably the last time until the spring. We'll spend it with some dear friends - no muss, fuss or drama, just good laughs and memories. dreary day today ~~ cold and rainy...bone cold YUCK! stay well, stay warm, maryanne
    ...See More
  • sguanzon
    16 years ago

Here's one for you ladies.....our LOW temperature... yes our LOW temperature today was....................
    94 degrees.

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Wow, Sue sure feel for ya, geezzz it hot as heck here, but thats just terrible! Stay safe, I'm trying to get your box put together, if you have any special wants please email me. I'd love to know. Otherwise, I'll do the best I can. Is it too hot there to ship plants? I can always send an IOU for maybe Aug. or Sept. You just let me know.

Sassy

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just a little quiz winner will recieve a white
    bird feeder:)) with glass sides hummingbirs
    etched in the glass .

will check back in tomorrow am for our winner:))

match the following words and definitions:

a. Rock************* 1. very cold, with a thin layer of white ice covering everything:
    b. Swing************ 2. to move easily and without interruption from one side to the other
    c.Bushel************ 3. a type of popular music
    d. Fun************** 4. a unit of measurement equal to approximately 36.4 litres in Britain or 35.2 litres in the US
    e. Frosty*********** 5. to walk in an energetic way and with more movement than necessary
    f. Prance ***********6. pleasure, enjoyment, amusement.

• sassyd
    16 years ago

A. Rock #3
    B Swing #2
    C Bushel #4
    D Fun #6
    E Frosty #1
    F Prance #5

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WINNER SASSYD :))

WILL TRY TO GET OUT ANOTHER QUIZ THIS WEEKEND .

just found out yesterday that my sisters Hip replacement
    Surgery has been postpone do to they found dead tissue in her heart ????? don't know all the facts as of yet
    going over later today.
    her Daughter & sil & Gd from Idaho came in thursday night to be here for the surgery now it is postponed :)
    she is heart broken right now for she can hardly walk .

anyway shirley & sassyd your gifts will be going out in mondays mail.
    have a great weekend ladies .
    susie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    16 years ago

Debbya your box went out today and Susie your hostess gift as well. Hope you both find something in there you like.

DC#'s:

Deb 03062400000275399466

Susie 03062400000275399442

Merry "Christmas in July"

Theresa

• sguanzon
    16 years ago

Sassy,

Plants are ok as long as not wrapped in plastic, my mailman is nice about dropping off as soon as he can so they don't sit in his truck. it's cooled off a couple of degrees but now it's getting humid because the monsoons are coming. I can't complain I guess - I still live here - LOL!

Thanks for the lyrics Maryanne, that's one of my favorites too.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi, I am Trina and I would love to join the swaps, I know I am too late for this one but please remember me. I have a beautiful garden (without all the South Texas rain, we had a lake in the back yard the past few days but hopefully its over!!!). I hope ya'll have a Wonderful Christmas in July!!! Flowers are the stars of the daytime, they sparkle and shine bright!

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

trina, hello and welcome to garden web. a swap was recently set up for newbies who might have an interest in joining our on-going group. i believe you might have missed it timing wise. but i'm more than happy to give you some information on Our Bloomin Friends group.

Weve been together since April of 2006. Each month the swap changes, based on what the host has selected as her theme for the month. Themes have already been selected for the year; although there are instances where the hostess and/or theme could change barring unfortunate circumstances. We share both gardening and non-gardening items; but focus on plants during the growing season.
    Packages are sent within the time frame set by the host. Requirements are that you are a fair, honest and reliable trader; should be a member of GW for 3 to 6 months and have had a trade with a few members of this group. If you scroll above in one of the posts you can see a listing of the group membership names. This is not a one month group, it's committed. You dont have to participate every month, but commit to anywhere between one-half to ¾ of the swaps that go on yearly. Even if you are not participating, still come to the boards and chat, discuss your garden, share your blooms/pictures, etc. Each month you should always check the new post and comment whether or not it is your intention to play and then check back for assigned partner.
    We also "reward" the hostess of the particular month's swap with a small token of appreciation for putting it together and keeping track and all the in between - it could be a plant, seeds/bulbs, personal trinket or anything of your choice. You must also post when you send, which should be done so with confirmation number, and for certain post when you receive your package.
    If this still sounds like something you would be interested in, please email carol (veeja3@wmconnect.com). We are a wonderful group, if I do say so myself!

Maryanne

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    My aunt's 90th birthday party went very well. Her daughter, who is also my Godmother, put together a collage of photos from her life. I love to see those old ones. She gave a framed photo of her mother to each family that came. I thought that was a great party favor.
    Yesterday was one of my nephew's birthday.He turned 6. My sis-in-law rented one of those bouncy houses. Yes, I was the only adult to go in with all the little boys, lol. It was fun, but boy, it took a long time to get my bearings back!

Maryanne,
    Yes, we do have a wonderful group : )
    The daylily Ming Porcelain that you sent me last year started to bloom. There was such a perfect looking one this morning when I went outside to go to work. I wanted to turn around and get the camera, but I didn't have time. Hopefully I can take a pic next bloom.

Susie,
    Sorry to hear about your sis. Did you find out what they meant by the dead tissue? Is she going to have to have heart surgery? I sure hope she is going to be alright.

Sassy,
    I actually did pot up a few rose cuttings! Hopefully I get some to take.

Sue G.,
    My goodness I don't think I could take that heat!!

Have a goodnight everyone,
    Remy

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Thank you Maryanne, Sounds like alot of fun and great fellowship too! I emailed Veeja today.

Ya'll have a great night
    Trina

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you maryann for being on top of the new request for membership realy helps :)

remy as for my sister she had a doctors apt this morning
    her girls went with her & i plan to go over tonight
    to my niece's place to find out just what is going to take place ,
    after margaret leaves to go to her sisters for the week & i get daddy in bed for the night :)

but also wanted to post that
    I received 2 very nice hostess gifts today

Jean/sandlapper_rose sent me a crocheted dish cloth red & white :))) & then Blue Batchlor Buttons seed :))
    2007 book marker& calendar & a 2007 mini calendar for my purse witch i can really use for many times i need to look up the day & date & don't have them , I usually put a small calendar in my wallet the 1st of the year & did not do it this year so thank you jean for all the very usefull & thoughtfull gifts :)

Theresa :)) has sent me a Book called "SLEEPING WITH A SUNFLOWER " She told me it was for the times i cannot get in the garden well I have to say some of the pages that I have glanced are sound very interresting & I do plan to read more of it before I have to fix super :))
    great book it has love potions like I really need them for me but might work on others :)))
    Flower wines , Beauty secrets Now you have my attention :))
    thresea I do love the book along with those COLONIAL AT HOME FRESH PICKED COTTON FRANGRANCE SHEET :))
    MARGARET HAS ONE PACKED IN HER SUITCASE ALSO IN HERS & DADS CLOSET & i HAVE ONE IN MINE OH THEY SMELL SO GOOD :))
    sorry about the caps my pinky finger did it ;))

thank you so much for the thoughtfull gifts .

shirley your gift on the way conf #
    0306 1070 0001 0518 0963

sassyd your gift on the way
    conf# 0305 2710 0002 5680 5493

Mellen Box 1 on the way
    Conf# 0306 0320 0003 8797 3838

well I guess I have about cover everything except
    I'm sorry I didn't get the other game posted & will try to do one this week yet .
    well better go get margaret ,s packing finished up
    you all have a great evening try to get back in soon .

susie

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi all, I would love to do a private trade with anyone. I am still going through my gardens but have listed some plants on my trade page, I am still working on that and on getting the right names there. I also love to make seed packets and laminated plant markers.

Thanks,
    Trina (pixiesluvplants)

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    I just wanted to stop by and tell you I got the new job at work today! I still don't know when I will start training for it, but at least I got it.

Susie,
    I sure hope you got good news with your sister.
    Remy

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ladies sorry for delay in the games just had to
    get my mind to work with so many things going on this
    week. I will try my best to put one up tomorrow .

anyway sister is meeting with the heart dr on weds noon :) to find out if he feels she can go through the surgery guess they will not be putting her under it will be a local but she will not know what is going on arround her .
    we should know by weds eve.

have a great evening
    susie

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Wow, can't believe I won something! Thanks Sue! I'll look out for it & wishing the best! (Hugs!)

SueG....I'll do my best on your box, will be out soon, I'll let you know. Jeezzzzzzzzz.......we think its hot here in SC!
    I'll be sure none are wrapped in plastic. My goodness, sometimes I don't know how we take this heat & humidity, I'm going to stop complaining tommorrow, I promise!(At least for 5 minutes)

Quick shout out to Trina! You'll be in before you know it!
    We all love fellow gardeners!

Remy, lol, I can see you bouncing now! You go girl! I would need some big balls to make me bounce! Okay, THAT did NOT come out right!!!!!!!!!!

Wishing you the best on the rose cuttings! (If they take please remember Sassy (*wink*) OMG! Wishing you the very best on your new position!!!!! Can't wait to hear more, let us know, k.

Susie, please keep us updated. We're thinking about you and wishing the best.

Nite everyone, nice to see more posting going on, its too darn hot to be outside and with my 'babysitting' lol, I can't get out there much anyway. I want pics!

Maryanne? Where are all of yours pics we were supposed to see? Bring em' girl.

Night all.........& thanks Susie. Will be on the lookout.

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Ok today is the old ladies birthday, hope it was a great one
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

A belated Happy Birthday, Susie. If I had my act together, I would have thought to include a birthday card with your hostess gift. It sounds like you have been having a busy month. I hope you get a good report on your sister's condition.
    Theresa, you package is ready to go. After I come back from the post office, I will post the delivery confirmation number. Sure hope the plants survive the heat. They got some water yesterday but whenever I water, the sun bakes everything dry in 1/2 hour or less.

Sandlapper

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday SUSIE!!

Theresa's package arrived during a really bad storm yesterday. I didn't find it until this morning. The post man usually rings the doorbell to let me know he left a package there.
    The trees were half way down, it was hailing, lightening, poor mail man, I'm really surprised that he came out of the postal truck at all!

Theresa sent- Clara Curtis Daisy, Dianthus "Spring Beauty", Daylily "Mystical Rainbow", Antique Rose "Perled`or".
    Jelly beans, ribbon pinecone ornament, cotton fragrance sheets, Debbie Macomber "Susannah's Garden" book, Lee Bailey's Country desserts book, Gourmet America book!

Thanks Theresa for such a nice package! I love everything you sent!

Deb

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Theresa -

Your package has been mailed.
    Confirmation Number

Sandlapper

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Thank you for the Welcome, Sassyd I love the graphics. Remy CONGRATS on your new job. Susie, your sisters in our prayers.

Hope ya'll have a wonderful and smiley day.
    Trina

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK LADIES HERES YOUR NEW QUIZies :)))
    WE NEED A NEW WINNER :))) .
    HAPPY GARDENING
    SUSIE

In the Victorian-era language of flowers, a red rose means true love, a white rose innocence or purity. What does a blue rose mean?

The song, "In an English Country Garden" celebrates the abundance of flowers to be found in those gardens. Among others, the song names roses, foxgloves, snowdrops and:

1.In Sweden, a common Christmas decoration is the Julbukk, a small figurine of a goat. Of what material is it usually made?

A) Candy
    B) Straw
    C) Uranium
    D) Fir wood

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

Susie, Happy Birthday! Please keep us posted on how your sis is doing.

Remy, congratulations on the new job.

Ok, here is my stab at the quiz:
    Blue roses mean The unattainable, the impossible.

How many kinds of sweet flowers grow
    In an English country garden?
    We'll tell you now of some that we know
    Those we miss you'll surely pardon
    Daffodils, heart's ease and flox
    Meadowsweet and lady smocks
    Gentain, lupine and tall hollihocks
    Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
    In an English country garden.

Julbukk is made out of straw

I'm so glad to have a couple of days off! I'm going to be playing and digging in the dirt. We were lucky today and had a couple of nice showers.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Annie, I am going to send (at least pray very hard for) rain your way. Talk about Cabin Fever in the Summer!!! We have had more than our share of rain and this weekend are expecting more! I am one of those that CAN'T live without sunshine! (DAILY SUNSHINE!!!) It has finally been sunny here so I have been able to enjoy outside. I feel for the ones that need the rain we have been getting and truly wish it would come ya'lls way! Tired of "playing in the MUD". (but then it has saved on ma water bill!!!)

I hope everyone has good dreams and a great night with good sleep.
    Trina

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

good morning everyone, hope this finds you well.

it's been hot as all he!! these last few days and today is supposed to be the last day of the heat wave. i've been scraping paint/wallpaper from one of the bedrooms and what a PITA that job is. i've also been spending MOST of my time with the baby - boy is that exhausting (but oh so enjoyable).

my garden is in full bloom. early morning is when i really get to enjoy it, taking a walk around, trying to make sure all the daylilies in bloom are properly marked (NOT!!!!) and pulling a few weeds. there's one bed that has been overtaken by weeds, and if you ever saw my beds in person, you would know just how anal i am about absolutely, positively NO NO NO weeds. i think perhaps the mulch wasn't treated/screened enough, because that's the only thing i can think would cause it. i'm not a sprayer or user of any chemicals, i like to pull them - great therapy.

did i say i've been spending time with the baby? oh my goodness, i just can't get enough - i'll have to post some new pix on the thread. i also have so many flower pictures to upload. it's just been so hot up in the room where the computer is, but i finally had the ac unit put in and now i can sit up here comfortably.

prayers and well wishes to all that need them.

so, anyone watching big brother this season? how about that pirate reality show?

can you believe it's almost mid-july? the baby turns one on the 17th, so i'm hoping we have some type of celebration and if so, i think it's going tobe here which means cleaning the house YUCK!

my niece was married on saturday (7/7/7). one of the hottest days and the ceremony took place outside and it was not on time. no canpoy, no tent, no shelter MUCHO HOT sitting in that strong sun. the luncheon was inside. she married a guy from another country, so the ceremony and some other aspects of the wedding were in his language. it was an interesting wedding to say the least and one of the most boring i've ever been to.

i have so many tomatoes on all of my plants, but not a one close to red yet. by this date, i should have had a few reds. i guess with how the seasons and weather has been, we're behind a month.

yesterday, i went out on this job interview which was a little too far in my eyes to travel everyday, but what was nice, it was about 10+ minutes from two of my elderly aunts and another one from out of townis staying with them, so i popped in. i thought i would just stop in, say hello and chat for a while, but wound up staying for dinner and got in after 9 last night. what a wonderful day it was - job or not!

trina, have you had any success with setting up a private trade yet? i looked over your list, however, nothing indicated as to what you are looking for - why not give us a little idea of what plants you might like to get and it would make things a little easier on setting things up. i can't committ to anything until this heat passes; but i did see a few things on your list of interest to me.

happy birthday to our july birthday girls - a little late to you sue (sorry)

prayers and well wishes to everyone

be well
    maryanne

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Maryanne,

I have a trade with a lady, but I haven't seen her in this group. Really I am looking for anything that flowers as I pretty much lost most of my flowering plants. I as still working on my gardens, getting them back in order and trying to figure out exactly what I do have left. So really I would be willing to trade for anything.

Smiles all
    Trina

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Annie's package went out today, USPS #0307 0020 0004 7458 0200.

Hope you enjoy it!

Deb

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry annie you have 2 of the 3 right so maybe you can take another shot at it :))

i posted this earlier today don't know what happen to my post some one ate it i guess .
    so now i have to start over .

trina Happy to have you with the group & maybe we can find someone here in the group to do a private trade with you ,
    I would be happy to if we ever get any rain here , right now everything is so very dry ,& my hose will not reach the field :( & to far to carry water .

beth are you still in a dessert also ???

better late then never be notice :))) maryanne ty :)
    b-days are just another day for me .

by the way where are all our gardeners hiding out at ???
    please stop in & say hi to us & let us know how your garden in growing .

well time to lay back have a great evening everyone .
    i will post a new game tomorrow again .

good night all
    susie

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

Ok, here is another try.

Blue roses are symbol of mystery and intrigue?

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday Susie. I don't know how I forgot! My one brother's birthday is July 8th. He turned 40. I almost forgot to send him a card, lol.

My friend at works son, Neil, did really great tonight on So You Think You Can Dance. Thank goodness! He was in the bottom 3 last week, but did an excellent survival dance so he did not go home.

Sassy,
    Congrats!
    Big balls, lol.

Deb,
    Hope your plants survived the storm ok.

Annie,
    It is nice to have a couple days off and garden : )

Maryanne,
    I'm glad you've gotten to spend a lot of time with the granddaughter and elderly aunts too.
    I'm not sure what people are thinking, putting guests outside in the hot sun.
    I've got a good amount of tomatoes all green of course. More seem to appear everyday. High tomato season doesn't start until mid august here. Do you grow a lot of early varieties? Most of my favorites seem to be longer season ones.

Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

RIGHT ON ANNIE :))) CONGRATS Your special Gift will be in the mail soon .
    JUST GOT BACK HOME HAD TO TAKE MY CAR BACK TO THE FORD DEALER TO FINISH THE REPAIRS THEY DID NOT DO RRRRRRRR.

going to go look for a much harder game for you all :))
    hugs & Happy Gardening
    susie

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What is the Irish custom of "feeding the wren" or "hunting the wren" on December 26?

A) Taking one's in-laws out to dinner
    B) Carrying a wren door to door, to collect money for charity
    C) Leaving a basket of cakes at the door for passers-by
    D) Putting out suet and seeds for the wild birds

There is one pretty purple flower that does not belong in your salad; its very poisonous. Which flower is it?
    In Greek legend, malicious creatures called Kallikantzaroi sometimes play troublesome pranks at Christmas time. What should you do to get rid of them?

WINNER WILL RECEIVE 2 FUDGE SUNDAE DAYLILY

Have a great day all
    susie

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I have a question that ya'll, I am sure can help with, I have read here several times about day lilies and becoming addicted to growing them. Are they hard to grow? What kind of sun do they prefer? I have a couple that I planted in the spring, in the front of my house and they haven't bloomed yet. They are just in regular dirt between the sidewalk and the house. Do they take a special fertilizer or am I just not doing something right? (pretty much full sun til midday (house faces east), I don't know what kind they are, just yellow ones that someone gave to me, they get water (maybe too much lately)). I hope ya'll can help because I would love to be able to grow my own day lilies and become addicted too!

Thanks and smiles
    Trina (pixie)

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

#1 B

#2 Wisteria

#3 Burn either salt or an old shoe

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

#3 Burn either salt or an old shoe

The pungent burning stench drives off, or at least helps discourage, the Kallikantzaroi. Other techniques include hanging a pig's jawbone by the door and keeping a large fire so they can't sneak down the chimney.

What a fun quiz, Susie!

• skohler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

winner #4 is debbya CONGRATS :)) it was fun finding the ???? 's :))) for this one :)

mellen sending you an email soon .

will put up a new game over the weekend .

uploading more pictures to the photobucket will share a few tomorrow .

oh sis has to have a heart catheriation on the 24th & then a stress test on the 26th to find out if she will be able to have the hip replacement .
    Don't make since when they plan to do just a spinnal & something so she won't know whats going on .

just a waiting game :(

well I need to go lay back you all have a great night .
    susie

• veeja11
    16 years ago

earthly your heat is here 103 yesterday we drove 60 miles to mt ranier where there was snow. we seattlights don't like heat. someone please set up a trade with trina even later is good so she can be a member of our group. hazel nutbunny I will be your big sis and you are in if Susie will =please send you a copy of our rules and you agree to them, my computer ate everything bf related. daughter and 1 grandaughter arrived, rest will be here sat. grandaughter spent part of her graduation money to come, her dad is a truck driver and got a load to phoenix then to here so looks like they will all make it. boy am I excited. my box will go out after this excitement. hugs to all carol

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    16 years ago

OMG it was really X-mas here today when SandlapperRose's package arrived. She really outdid herself. I feel so fortunate to receive such a well-planned and thoughtful box. And since I haven't really been doing much plant trading this year, it was such a treat to receive a box packed with plants! Despite it being July, everything was perfectly healthy looking too. Where to begin? Well, several gifts were wrapped in Christmas paper which my boys also thought was just great! They helped me open these:
    M&M's
    Hershey bar
    (They claimed those two things for themselves and in doing so kept me on my diet except for a few bites) :)
    A box of peppermint tea (one of my favorites which I have been out of for quite a while)
    glycerin soap (Frankinsense and Myrrh)
    A Christmas novel

The following plants:

Solidago Fireworks
    Campanula Elizabeth
    Pink Rose
    Red Veined Dock
    Anise Hyssop
    Peppermint Stick Balsam
    Iris 'immortality'
    Daylily 'Distant Galaxy'
    Daylily 'Strawberry Candy'
    lavender Bee Balm
    Rose 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' (been wanting this one for a while)
    Scented geranium cuttings (been wanting these too)
    Jeanne, I love all these things and all the plants as well. I can't wait to get everything planted!
    Okay, I saved the most special thing for last.....Check out the wonderful Christmas ornament she made:
    {{gwi:1281466}}
    Jeanne is such a crafty person and this is so beautiful and so thoughtful. This will always remind me of my garden friends across the miles. Sending out a very sincere thank you for this one Jeanne. You are a great friend.
    Theresa

• mellen
    16 years ago

Susie, I got your box in the mail yesterday, and I am just sooo thrilled with the contents!!! Thank you so much for the following:
    -candy lily
    -2 daylilies
    -campanula-I'm pretty sure that is correct, Susie
    -treats and a ball for Lady
    -Ghirardelli dark chocolate squares with raspberry filling-yummy!
    -a very pretty satin, felt and sequin Santa box containing little plastic seed bags and fertilizer sticks
    -a beautiful pot stake angel holding a butterfly
    -a gorgeous white ceramic angel holding a candle-on her head there is a place for a candle-Susie, she is so perfect!!!
    -cinnamon apple tealights
    -wonderfully scented multi-colored potpourri including the colors of red and green
    -white and red candy shot glasses that are just too cool-yes, they are real candy!!! LOL

All of this came wrapped in shiny red paper with poinsettias on the paper. It was so beautiful to open the box and see all of this, Susie. I truly love it all and am so appreciative. Thank you bunches, my friend.

Mary Ellen/Mellen

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Jeanne,
    I love the ornament! Your so crafty! ;)

Theresa,
    The plants you sent are doing very well! I have them planted in a new sidebed! I'm slowly finishing it up and need a few more plants to complete it. It's been so hot here for 2 weeks 102*/105* temperatures, that I've done nothing much except water everything 3 times a day! It cooled off the other day when severe storms rolled through. It's only 75* chilly degrees, LOL! And at night 55*, perfect weather! So, I've been working my tail off the last few days, taking advantage of the fantastic temps! I know it's not going to last! A couple more plants, couple bags of mulch, and I'm done! ;)

My garden's doing very well! The tomato plants are well above the stakes! They always grow so well in the heat!
    I emailed Trina to set up a trade.

Deb

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

oh jeanne, what a lovely ornament. when we first started adn laura was my partner, she made me a canvas bag that i use all the time with our logo.

carol, i'm so thrilled to hear all your family is coming. have the greatest time. what a treat your graddaughter is. too special.

everyone sounds like they are getting great boxes. our heat is subsiding somewhat, thank God. so much to do outside and i'm expecting a shipment of daylilies soon, not to mention the zillion other things.

more to say, but the dogs are going bananas. talk to you soon.

prayers to those in need.

maryanne

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

I GOT MY BOX FROM DEBBA TODAY. WOW IS ALL I CAN SAY!

Deb, THANK YOU! You always send such nice things.
    Enclose was:

Hosta- Night Before Christmas

Christmas Fantasy- Christmas Catus (this is my very first one)

Succulant Ground cover

Candy Swirls- African violet

2 Angel soaps- Lemon Verbena scented (love the smell)

The Spirit of Christmas Cook book. (SOOOOOOOO NICE)

Not one ornament but a box of the 12 days of Christmas! They are so cute I will post a picture of them later.

Photo Key Chain!

Jeanne you are so talented;I love the ornament you made.

Carol, I'm happy that you get to see all your family.

I hope everyone is well, and keeping cool.

If I missed anyone, I apologize in advance.

Deb, again, thank you so much!
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Sue just wanted to let you know the birdfeeder arrived, thanks so much I love it!

Sassy

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Deb, my computer went down yesterday so I have been slow to answer your email. Thank youuu sooo much. I am soo excited. I (YES I DEAR LORD) thought I knew everything there is to know about plants so I hang ma head cause I knew nothing cept about dirt and mud pies it seems! Thank you all for being soo sweet!

Smiles
    Trina (the Pix)

• veeja11
    16 years ago

my house has finally calmed down , Anita your box went out today con # 03070020000172914239, hope you like it and it arrives alive. hugs carol

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Mellen,
    The box from you arrived today. Wow! I was thinking it was like Christmas morning as I pulled one thing after another out of the box. The only bad part is that I am almost certain that I was here when the mail was delivered (probably around 1:30 or 2 p.m.) and the postal worker did not let me know. They usually beep the horn so you can walk out and get the box. Around 7:30 p.m. I said to my husband that maybe we should check the front porch in case the box came and there it was! My husband was a dear and helped me get the plants either in the ground of in pots for the night. You sent me so many plants that I love, I just hope they settle in okay. I put some water on them even though it was almost dark at that point. Anyway, I can't possibly list it all - Mary Ellen sent a beautiful Christmas ornament decorated with fancy lace that I will certainly keep from year to year. I also got a candle, memo pad, journal, angel plant poke and squirrel pot hanger (these two are so cute!) With the journal, I decided I will try to keep myself a little better organized with my plants and will write it what I received and who it came from. I completely lose track of that. Mary Ellen also was a true treasure as a friend because she had already prepared plant markers with the plants' names to stick alongside them. That is so good. I usually rush to put them in a pot or the ground and think I will remember and do a label later and I don't get around to it and forget the name. (I know no one else does that! LOL)
    Anyway, as for the plants, I got: Sweet Potato Vine 'Marguerita' (I have two sweet potato vines but didn't have this one), a Polka Weigela - it is a shrub - couldn't believe it when this came out of the box! - a cigar plant, a Sum and Substance Hosta that I have wanted for a few years now, a heuchera 'Chatterbox', two daylilies - Heron, and Custard Candy, and a flowering maple (also called Abutilon - I have a different variety that I bought at the Botanical Gardens plant sale this spring and it bloomed all summer and I love it so I am really happy to have another!) Does anyone grow these? I am wondering how to get more (root or save seeds)? I also wonder if they are winter hardy in our weather. Guess I will do a little research.
    Anyway, I know I did not list some of it. Thanks so much Mary Ellen. I know you weren't feeling well and I don't know how you put all this effort into the box that you sent. Thank you so much!

Sandlapper

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

I also wanted to say thank you for the gardening magazines. I had not read any of them and enjoy magazines and books. Also, the memo pad is so pretty and the candle holders... Gee, what else did I forget!
    Thanks again.
    Sandlapper

• mellen
    16 years ago

Jeanne/Sandlapper, Gosh, you got your box already? I just sent it out on Monday? I am happy that you liked what I sent. I had no idea what magazines you get so I just sent one of each of the ones that I get. You are welcome!
    Mary Ellen