SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

Can you disclose any of your deepest well kept secrets!

cats39
19 years ago

Hi All!

Have any of you any secrets that you'd like to share as we approach the growing season?

I can't say that anything I do is secret or hasn't been tried before but on occasion I've been told, "What a great idea! I've never seen that done before."

One that I personally like to do can probably be called, "Watering from below." It seems one of the biggest problems we face when we start plants indoors or begin to transplant seedlings into larger containers is how much and when to water. All to often it seemed I always watered to much or to little only to find it was to late when I went to correct.

I got this idea of watering my plants from below by cutting 3/4" PVC pipe into 3" and 4" lengths after buying a couple of inexpensive 8 footers. After I potted up my transplants I stuck my finger in along side and then replaced it with the length of pipe, 3" for small containers, 4" for the larger and leaving a little over an inch exposed. Depending on the pot size 4", 6", 8" or 10". I used one 3" for smaller than 6" and two 4" - one on each side - for the larger.

I got a syringed turkey baster and marked off a half ounce and one ounce with a magic marker. When I felt it was time to water I sucked up half ounce for the smaller plant and one ounce for each tube on the larger. Yes it takes time but it also saved watering in the end as there was less evaporation.

I should also point out that I use melted snow from a five gal pail and then rainwater afterwards.

Has anyone else tried this watering from below method?

Jim

Comments (7)