SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbirddaisy

UPDATE: Hidden Treasures in flight

hummingbirddaisy
18 years ago

Post all of the goodies here. Let all of us know what you picked out!

Remember to post when it arrives, and when it flies back out.

Remember to post the conf.# as well.

Try not to keep the box more than 3 days.

Ok, let's have some fun!!!!

Blessings, Tina

Comments (100)

• efrosty1
    18 years ago

well i got home from a looooong hooooot day in a factory with no air and a small little tiny fan.. and guess what was on my door step................the box was so full it was about rounded out of it sad sqaure shape.. lol.. ok i'm i driving you crazy yet? eheheheh

it was very hard to decide.. so i let me daughter help me out in choosing..we picked a frog back scrubber,and coolie ice pack (because they wouldn't fit after we filled it), uncled sam ball point pen, and a note from mellen for hosta chinese sunrise and honeybells..... so we packed it up with all the things we added and shipped it out..
    and yes----we shipped it out already,i received it at 3:45 and had it at the post office at 4:15.. that way someone else can get it before the weekend.. or on saturday.. i can't remember the name because we were going so fast lisa in negley ohio it's on its way... conf#0305 0830 0003 8274 4740

• efrosty1
    18 years ago

Cleaning Poem

I asked the Lord to tell me
    Why my house is such a mess.
    He asked if I'd been 'puteing',
    And I had to answer "yes."

He told me to get off my butt
    And tidy up the house.
    And so I started cleaning up...
    The smudges off my mouse.

I wiped and shined the topside.
    That really did the trick...
    I was just admiring my work...
    I didn't mean to 'click.'

But click, I did, and oops I found
    A real absorbing site
    That I got SO way into...
    I was into it all night.
    -Sigh-
    Nothing's changed except my mouse
    It's very, very shiny.
    I guess my house will stay a mess...
    While I sit here on my hiney.

• Related Discussions

Hidden surprise

Q

Comments (23)
    I have seen that once before in the foliage, but not as good as that. I've also seen it in some photos. You sould probably do some sibling crosses, and self pollinations. If the siblings have the same trait hidden the resulting offspring should show it. Selfing will often intensify a trait in the next generation. I will self Daylily seedling blooms when I see something I like, it will usually come out stronger in the next generation. Sibling crosses do the same thing. Back crosses can also be a good tool, you still have clones from the original parent plants. The problem with using unrelated stock in these kind of project is they lack the genes you need, unless its a dominant gene, which this probably isn't or we would see more plants like that. If you only use unrelated stock, your chances of sucess are probably not very good. I learned a lot about genetics from the late Dr. Joanne Norton, who was a geneticist, I think she worked in agriculture industry, but we shared a love of Tropical fish, and Daylilys. She worked with both, her work in Angelfish genetics was and is still ahead of its time. She raised and introduced Daylilys, and probably understood their genetics better than anyone. Its either something rescessive you've unleashed, or some new genetic break. You probably produce enough seed, and grow enough plants to tip the odds of something new in your favor. There is the possibility that (and I know you don't use them much if any) some kind of chemical brought that on. I have read about people using some herbicides to alter plants genetics. There is even someone using microwave ovens to change Hostas genes, with some interesting results. They actually micro wave seed. You keep refering to it as a chimera, why? I know what they are, but what leads you to believe it is one? The pattern looks pretty stable.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Feb updates for Secret Squirrel

Q

Comments (108)
    Beth, by the great people, you must be talking about me, and the corn must be Jeanette. Right?!?!? I live about 3 1/2 hours drive from Council Bluffs. From Des Moines, I live 50 miles north on I35 and 15 miles east. Yes, our state is larger than you would think. And not really as flat as most people think, either. Yes, there are flat places around the state, but also many nice, small rolling hills. Plus some of the best dirt in the whole world. Oh, by the way, I received the squirrel box today. Just thought I'd bring that up here. :) Jeanette, thanks for the squirrel. Gee, I hope you got one, too. My friend, where DO you find these treasures? I do love it because it came from you! Jeanette also sent the following nuts still in the shell: Brazil, almond, English walnut, pecan, and hazelnut. She also included more peanuts--except these are the larger orange candy ones that are shaped like peanuts plus more Reese's PB cups. Besides all of this, she sent Hershey's n' more creamy fudge, caramel, and marshmallow cookie bars. Yummmm mmmmmmmmmm.....Thanks so much, number 1 angel. I won't be able to get this box out til Thursday, but I will let you know when it goes. Thanks for a VERY fun swap, Beth, Jeanette, and everyone! Mellen
    ...See More

UPDATE: Petal Pushers July White Elephant Swap #5

Q

Comments (152)
    1) Tracy #4/#12/#1/#4/#6/#12/#2 2) Sassy #5/#3/#5/#10 3) Carmen DONE! (wins Box #9) 4) Karen #2/#5 5) Pat #8 6) Lisa DONE! (wins Box #3) 7) Priscilla #4/#13 8) Deb #5/#9/#12/#9/#5/#12/ 9) Denise #3/#5/#3/#12/#5/#2 10) Vic #13/#11 11) Shirley #4/#12/#4 12) Fran #1 13) Alana#6/ Apparently, I was wrong on a couple of these numbers yesterday, but I wasn't sure where that was. Does someone who understood it want to make the corrections for me? Tks.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Ara's Round Robin

Q

Comments (56)
    Ladies, I hate to say it but it looks like this box is a goner. All my attempts to contact Sarah have failed. I thought that perhaps she is just temporairly without phone or internet, and that since the mailing list is inside the box, she would go ahead and forward it on to the next person on the list. It's been ten days since the box was delivered in California. I'll wait a few more days and see if it shows up at pedalpusher's before doing anything else. Carmen, Susan and Marie; I am so sorry this happened so late in the game. I promise you that I WILL NOT leave you ladies hanging. At this point it looks like I have no other option but to put another box together and continue from there. I'll keep you updated. Ara
    ...See More
  • woodenzoo
    18 years ago

Well, jeepers!
    lol I'm in Ohio too!
    How many of us are in Ohio?
    I've been quietly patient...
    But the suspense is killing me!
    This is my first round robin!
    Is it ever going to get to me?
    Alright... I feel better now :)... carry on everyone...

Love the poem efrosty!
    And love that little graphic of your's NewNC!
    Cathy

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    18 years ago

Yippee I'm next! Hey Cathy...how about if I send it to you next...since you're so close. I'll let you all know when I receive it. - Lisa

• cassiet
    18 years ago

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Mary Ellen I didn't see that chinese hosta I would have swiped that up too... I love hostas... I really loved the little note things Tina and thought this was a great idea and so very creative. So Mellen what exactly does a chinese hosta look like?

Cassie

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

instead of flowers cassie, it grows chopsticks! lol

• mellen
    18 years ago

Cassie? What Earthly said. Mary Ellen : P

• NewNCgardener
    18 years ago

Wooo Hoooo!!!!! TGIF, It's Finally Friday, Yeah!!!! Hope everyone has a great weekend. Let's get dressed up and go dancing, lol....

Jen

• woodenzoo
    18 years ago

Lol
    I agree 'TGIF'! Just got off from work, so ain't up to dancing though!

Lisa,
    I knew that efrosty is in Ohio, I just didn't know anyone else was! Send it to whomever you'd like! I'm sure we are all anxious to receive it!

As Jen said, Have a GREAT weekend all!
    Cathy

• lilyroseviolet
    18 years ago

ok ok when is that robin heading my way?!

note the dirt in the finger prints that is premanetly stained from gardening. lol love that gif!

• cassiet
    18 years ago

Jenn do they make those pics that you post with WV on them instead of NC or did you just make it up. I love the old lady bumping... hehehehehehehe.

Cassie

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    18 years ago

Hi friends...the Robin was waiting for me when I came home from work on Friday! She is a fat one... and I chubbed her up some more! Cathy, as promised, she flew off to you on Saturday with a box full of surprises. The Delivery Confirmation number is: 0103 8555 7494 6786 7816.
    Thanks Tina for having me in your Robin and for coordinating this! - Lisa

• woodenzoo
    18 years ago

WooHoo!
    The box full of Treasures has arrived! Thanks Lisa!
    I'm still going though the many items before making my final decision on what to keep. So many goodies! (It got here late this afternoon/early evening. I guess the postal workers were taking it slowly in this heat! And I am on a walking route! Heat index of 104º here.)
    I'll try to have it out tomorrow, if I can fit it into my schedule and get to the post office. Going to pick up a new box for it and repack as this one has a rip in the back of it. Have an errand to make first (got to get my car tags and license in the morning so depending on how crowded they are!? And have to get to work in mid-afternoon.) Also have to check where it's heading next! Nearest person... hmmm... would that be Ill?, Maine? or perhaps Mich.? lol
    Will let you know when it flies again and the confirmation #!

• NewNCgardener
    18 years ago

Cassie,

I get them made at delphi forums.. They make special sigs and snags or gifs with your name upon request. Email me and I will send a link.. Membership is free.

Hope everyones weekend was good. It is hot hot hot here. In the hundreds tomorrow and wed. Ughhhhhhhh..... Plus, not to mention, I came down with an upper respiratory infection, yeah. Just my luck. Been coughing, and fever, and chills, the whole nine. Makes no sense in the middle of summer. Oh well. lol...

Good Night, Got my nyquil and my blankie, lol...

Jen

• woodenzoo
    18 years ago

Alright, got it send this morning!
    Confirmation # 0303 0830 0003 82474 4757
    Thanks for the fun RR!
    Cathy

• cassiet
    18 years ago

We received a beautiful chinese evergreen from some wonderful person in this swap!!! My daughter Jenn skipped all the way up the steps of our townhouse... she is determined to make it grow in the HOUSE!!!!! Thanks secret pal... for the unexpected gift!!!! Earthly it DID NOT have any chopsticks on it either. HA! Grin!!!!

Cassie

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

give it time cassie, it will. you'll see, you'll be waiting for flowers and out will pop chopsticks! LOL

(back me up on this mellen!)

• mellen
    18 years ago

Yep, uh-huh, that's right! I have chopsticks all OVER the place here. Way too many to even count. Whew! Mellen

• skohler
    18 years ago

well what a nice pick me up today daddy brought me in a
    box popping at the seams with all kind of trinkets :))
    I keeped a ceramic frog /candle & a powderRoom sign for my powder room :)) and I replaced with other surprises.
    my brother stopped out to check on us & he has taken the box to the post office for me .
    conf # 0305 0830 0003 8274 4764
    heading northeast

happy gardening all
    sue

• efrosty1
    18 years ago

mellen--sorry i haven't posted sooner. i received you hosta's. they arrived in great condition..thanks so much they are planted and happy as clams..thanks for such great gifts lol erica

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Do we know where the box has landed?
    Just curious :-)

Thanks, Tina

• skohler
    18 years ago

Your item was delivered at 10:11 am on August 01, 2005 in BERNARD, ME 04612.

tina this is all i can tell you about the box I sent out . don't know the gw name .
    sue

• NewNCgardener
    18 years ago

who's got it, who's got it... lol... just checking in...

• skohler
    18 years ago

it is in maine thats all I know .
    sue

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

Bernard ME is lilyroseviolet

• northtexasgirl
    18 years ago

What happened to our Robin? It sure seems to have slowed down. Does anyone know who's next?

Leona

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I due believe that Sue Parsons has it. She might be on vacation.
    E-mailing her today to check in.
    Blessings, Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is this Box MIA? I have been reading several of the RR threads, and it seems that ALOT of our boxes are disappearing! What's up?
    Can someone send me an e-mail with an explanation?
    Problems arise, that's ok, just send an e-mail to let us know what's going on.

Tina

• nitelite
    18 years ago

I don't know the status of this RR, but I would like to ask that when someone gets ready to send this to me, [i don't know who will choose me] I need a heads up, because on the 22nd i am having surgery and won't be 'myself' for about 12 days, I'm not saying don't send it... Just give me a heads up so I can get someone else to pick it up for me at the PO [another reason why i need a heads up] and help me open, pick, fill and resend...

Thanks in advance.
    Blessed Be
    Carrie Ann

• lilyroseviolet
    18 years ago

I recieved the package last week and havent been able to get to it as we are so busy at this time of the summer and it should pass soon and I should be back to normal soon. The robin will be going out by Wednesday in 2 DAYS...so sorry to have it so long...everything was fine on arrival except for one broken picture frame. Mostly the packaging looks good. Again so sorry to have kept it so long, time got away from me.

I will be going out on Wednesday and I will post it and to whom then.

• NewNCgardener
    18 years ago

ok Tina, take me off, I am gonna be away next week and probably the week or two after, so I am sorry but I am gonna have to exit. I will check for another RR with everyone at a later date. Hope this don't cause any problems....

Thanks again

Jenny
    NewNCGardener

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone.
    I was so relieved to hear from Lilyroseliolet. Girl, you are usually right on top of things, and when we didn't hear from you, I seriously got worried that something had happened. I was for sure that the RR box had not gone to you, LoL.
    I understand about this month being hectic, I hear ya, smiles!

Whoever reveives the box next, can you please cross Jenny from NC off of the list? Thanks.

Remember to post when you receive and send :-)
    Post what you decided to keep. We want to hear about the goodies!

Have a wonderful weekend....last one before school starts.

Blessings, Tina

• northtexasgirl
    18 years ago

Hi Tina. Please take me off the list too. Sorry but we have some things coming up that weren't planned and I may be away from home for a week or two and am not sure of the dates yet. Maybe I can catch the next one. :)

Leona

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We also need to cross Leona off of our list as well. Sad to see you two leave :-(.
    We are having a bit of difficulty with the RR box at the moment. I will update when I know more.

May I make a suggestion? Please don't send anything in the box that you, yourself would not like to receive. Make sure the things that you send are cleaned up, if used, make sure it is worth sending. We don't want to send "junk" in these Round Robins. These RR's are suppose to be fun and exciting. We look forward to receiving the box with all the goodies inside. Please do not send things that you don't want anymore, just to get rid of them. Make sure they are nice item's that others can enjoy.
    So far, I have had two concerned gals e-mail me. I have to say, that for the most part, everyone has been sending great things, but there has been a few items in the box that, well, are something left to be desired honestly. Don't just find things to shove in there to fill the box back up. Candles (even tea light), gardening magazines (even used), seeds, plant markers, little animal figurines, tarts, little tubes of hand lotion, nail brushes, cooling feet rub lotion, things that we can all enjoy and use. These are nice little inexpensive item's. I'm sure there is a ton more as well. This is just an example. Sun block, chapstick's, etc.

And please do not send dangerous item's. Rusty or molded items are very unsanitary.

I honestly hope I do not upset any of you by posting this message. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail them to me. I will do my best to take care of any concerns you have.

Thanks for listening to my "nag, nag, nag" speach. :-)
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Respectfully,
    Tina

• woodenzoo
    18 years ago

I should have stated this before, but I took out a CD-R (still in it's wrapper), a tea candle set, a candle, a 'waffle bar'and one of Tina's 'plant' notes. I replaced with things that I brought at the local Family Dollar/General Dollar store. (Candles, the little frog candle/holder that Sue picked out, floral wrapping paper and some hosta seeds from a great trade!) I hope that the things that I chose to send will/have pleased others.
    This has been my first (and only! so far!) round robin, and was quite pleased with the variety of items in the box. I was tempted to keep many of the other items, but there were some that, though they didn't interest me, they may interest someone else. I would have liked to have sent some other things, but the box was crammed full already! lol
    Anyway, I guess, I just thought I mentioned that I had no idea as to what to expect, and definitely no idea what to send out until I received the box. Thankfully, it arrived at a time that I could afford to go and buy 'little somethings' to add back and had the hostas seeds to share, that I thought someone would enjoy. I wish that I had at least another year of gardening behind me, I would have included some 'notes' of my own!
    I'm sorry to see people dropping out of this RR, as I had found it to be a really nice surprise package!
    Thanks again, Tina, for starting it!
    Cathy/Woodenzoo

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Cathy!
    Sounds like you put in some really neat item's! I'm sure the person after you was thrilled to receive the box.
    And there isn't anything wrong with going to the Dollar Store! I'm so happy you enjoyed the RR!
    Tina :-)

• nitelite
    18 years ago

do we know the status? i know lilyroseviolet said she was sending the box on wednesday, that was 5 days ago?

argh, sorry, i'm getting 'ansy' about everything right now...

scared about monday... i know there is nothing to be scared about, but surgery is scary in its own right when you are not put to sleep for it. *shivers* just trying to stay busy and not having an easy time of it.

Can't wait till the box comes my way!
    Blessed Be,
    Carrie Ann

• cassiet
    18 years ago

Tina,
    Do you have any idea when you will be shipping the hostas? I'm asking cause I will be returning to grad school tomorrow and things will get busy for me then and next month I will also have to be travelling for work quite a bit. It's been quite a while now since the start of the robin and I was just wondering

Cassie

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cassie, I sent you an e-mail hun.

Ok...... Obviously we have had a set back. First with the box being delayed at lilyroseviolet for approximately 20 days. Now, it has to be sent back to me to be refilled.
    One of our gals has suggested that since this has happened, maybe we should have it take a second pass around. I relaize that there are still quite a few gals that haven't even received it a first time. So, let's vote. Post here, a yay or nay on the second passing of the box.
    Please accpet my sincerest of apologies for the inconvenience. I realize we have had two real sweet gals drop out already due to the procrastination of shipment of this box. I'd hate to lose any more of you! I think the rest of the gals here will stand by their word and be responsible.
    Why don't each of you post some ideas as to what you would like to see in the box. As it stands right now, there is nothing salvagable, so this will be a brand new box, with all brand new item's.
    Again, I am very sorry for all the hassle.
    Thank you,
    Tina

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Oh, my goodness Tina What happened to the box?? I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble with this!! I am happy with whatever you would like to do with it! I am patient, I am one of the ones who has not yet received it. But if it does take a second pass I think that the other ones who haven't recieved it yet should be first(I don't mind being towards the last!) but it is whatever everyone else thinks! I think that everything that you had put in it the first time sounded great especially the little plant notes. That is an awesome idea!

Carly

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I have to vent somewhere. I was informed of where all of the original items went from our RR. They were sent to someone else in another RR secret pal swap! This is very dishearting. The only thing I can say, is the person who ended up with it is a great person, and maybe they will enjoy and get some use from the item's. Wow......I'm speechless.

Carly, I will e-mail you tomorrow. Thank you for your input sweet girl.

Good night,
    Tina

• nitelite
    18 years ago

i am one of the ones that haven't received the box yet as well.. and the one who suggested another 'run through' again, its only if everyone else wants to do it as well...

i felt bad for what happened with this RR and feel that what has happened was extremly wrong... Again Tina, i'm sorry this had to happen to your RR...

I vote for the box going around a second time.. [after everyone that hasn't received it yet gets it..] Maybe the 2 who dropped out would be willing to 'rejoin' And the guilty one of destroying your box be removed of course.

Blessed Be,
    Carrie Ann

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

I feel bad for you too, Tina. I'm another who has yet to get the box.

Here's my "wishy-washy" vote -- whatever you decide is just fine with me.

• cassiet
    18 years ago

Tina,
    I hate to ask but that wouldn't be that they were sent to someone in my swap were they? I am asking because lilysviolet is a participant in my swap. I'm just asking or was this before her or what. As I have received I personally would like to see all those folks who have not received get the box before it comes back to me because they have not had the pleasure of even receiving a first time yet.

Cassie

• djm906
    18 years ago

Yes, it should be sent around again. It will be fun and if there is something still in there that you put in the first time, then just pull it out and replace.

• efrosty1
    18 years ago

oh Tina,
    i am so sorry to what happen to your box.. i would love to pass it again (after the other receive it of course..) please let me know..maybe less people it would go faster/safer. erica

it seems alot of robin boxes are getting delayed lately.

• skohler
    18 years ago

gee what's going on from this forum? am i being accused of taken the items out of the box and sending them to a secret pal in witch I'm not even signed up with ??? & replaceing with junk to this gal in maine ?

let me inform everyone right now that was not the case
    I would never do such a thing I posted what i took out of the box & then i add 3-4 items & sent it on to sue in maine .
    if there was a mixup in the boxes & with robins it was before it got to me .
    hope we can clarify that .

susie

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, I want to make one thing very clear, and I hope I don't get booted from GW for doing this, but the person who is responsible for the current condition of our RR is lilyroseviolet. Oh my gosh Skohler (Susie), I can't imagine anyone ever thinking you could do something like this! I really, really enjoy being a part of gardenweb. I have met some wonderful people here (met my best friend here!)I have learned (sp?) so much from some really versesd gardeners. I have received some beautiful plants that I didn't even know existed. I have just been opened up to a whole new world here. I honestly would be very, very heartbroken if I wasn't allowed to be apart of this place. I hope lilyroseviolet doesn't become vindictive, and get me kicked.
    I've not even seen what was in the box yet, but from the description of everything, it was basically junk. In my opinion, that is ust not acceptable. If someone doesn't have much to put in, then just put in what you can, and pass it on. I have been bashed, and called a dime stare and dollar store junkie, that I go on dime store binges. I have been accused of promoting the way society is becusse I shop at department stores. She speaks of my mentallity because some things in the box was make in China.
    It just went on and on. Then she procedes to bash me on another thread, after she has told me to refrain from contacting her ever again!!!
    THis IS NOT my way of getting back at her. I am simply letting all of you know what happened to your things in this robin...the truth. Honestly, I have no intentions of "getting back" at her. I have not contacted her since she told me not to. I don't plan to. I am just disappointed and hurt. But, I will get over it, smiles. It's not a life threatening situation, LoL.
    Susie, I am so sorry that you thought that I was insinuating that it was you.

Tina

• efrosty1
    18 years ago

i like dollar stores Tina....hehehehehe they are my second home...lol

• djm906
    18 years ago

Sue, You aren't accused. You sent out a very good selection of things. I know what was in the box when you sent it out, and there was good stuff in there. A box anyone would love to get. The problem was after the box left your hands. Please forgive me, Doris