SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

The Real First Sign(s) of Spring 2007

cats39
17 years ago

Hi All!

Realizing a few don't always stray south, a week ago Friday 3/2 I had a pair of Robins in our backyard. The following day, Saturday, my wife and I saw a Turkey Vulture soaring as we were driving to some friends. I thought this sight much more unusual for Central New York especially with below zero temps still in the forecast for this neck of the woods.

And although I raised pigeons as a kid well over 50 years ago just the other day and for the first time ever, I saw a pair of Morning Doves mating on a neighbors rooftop. Even with all of the snow on the ground the signs of Spring were beginning to come to life.

Then yesterday 3/12 I went for a ride and walk with my son to see if there was any open water or possibly to wonder how long it would be before the ice would melt on a favorite fishing spot. Surprisingly and even with the below zero temps of this past week there were indeed a few open spots. As stood thinking how long it would be before we could cast a line my son said, "Look! A mosquito."

But on the way back to the car we found out that what we saw wasn't a mosquito at all. As we walked with occasional stops we noticed the insect we thought was a mosquito was crawling over one foot of hard packed snow and ice and numbered in the hundreds. It was then we knew it was a (trout) hatch of Midge Fly's.

Although the Sun was out and breaking through the clouds it was still a little on the cool side. Even then with the temps in the 30's I still had my insulted jacket zipped against the breeze and thought isn't nature amazing? Here, we complain of the cold and snow and these little creatures can survive the elements so that other creatures can live, fish and birds alike, and some of those other creatures includes us, up at the top of the chain.

But today for me came the first real sign of Spring came at 07:25 AM. It was a flock of Redwing's and Grackles that numbered in about 100 or more. So Spring is almost here. All we need now is the warmer temps to melt away the rest of the snow and ice and hopefully not to quickly.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm