SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stropharia

considering new fruit trees

stropharia
12 years ago

Hello all, I'm pretty new to growing fruit trees; within the last year I've acquired four citrus and am growing them in containers (in Al's gritty mix) to great success. I've been considering expanding my fruit collection by purchasing four more trees from Pine Island within the next few months, and I think I've got it pretty narrowed down:

-Mango. This seems like a no-brainer to me, as I love mangoes, they're expensive, and fresh is 10x better than imported. However, I have no idea what variety to get (there are so many), so suggestions are appreciated.

-Avocado. This one is also pretty straight-forward: my lady loves avocados, and many are somewhat cold-hardy, which is always a plus. Again, no varieties chosen, though Oro Negro looks very promising.

-Guava. This is more of a whim, as there are so many different fruits to choose from, I couldn't possibly know where to start. I've heard of guava, it is tasty, and supposedly fruits within the first year or two.

-Lychee. I had never heard of these before reading around on GW, but they sound tasty. I would get the Sweetheart variety.

I thought I had a decision with these four plants, but then realized that PI also sold...

-Miracle Fruit. I've been hearing of the phenomenon of miraculin for years, but have never had the opportunity to try one of these fruits. I would love to grow one of these plants. They do well in containers, and the ones from PI are supposedly often already bearing fruit upon purchase!

My current situation: I live in Louisiana, zone 8B, and will until the end of this year. At that point, I'll be moving to southern Alabama (same zone) for at least 6 months. Obviously I'll be keeping all of these in containers for the time being. I know I'll have to protect all of these plants (and my citrus) in the winter.

With all of the above said, I would appreciate any advice you might have:

Which four of these five plants you would choose, and why?

Perhaps you would suggest another besides one I've mentioned.

Also, any suggestions on specific varieties would be very helpful, particularly if geared towards fruit quality and container production.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?