SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cleo88_gw

Carolyn - Sophie's wet feet?

cleo88
15 years ago

Hi,

In the tomato bible aka Carolyn's book, it mentions that Sophie's Choice seedlings like to have "wet feet" - that if they are too dry at an early age, they will be stunted and not produce much fruit (I would quote directly but I am out-of-state right now and didn't bring my bible!).

I have been having a lot of success letting my seedlings dry out before watering, as recommended, and they all look very happy, but now I am wondering if I should water my Sophie's more than the others.

I water every 4-5 days, from the bottom, leaving an inch of water in there for about a half hour - this is with Burpee's Tomato Mix which has great wicking properties, so the top of the soil is completely dark/wet before the half hour is up. The day I water them, the top is dry but it's not bone dry when you nudge the top dirt aside.

The seedlings are under a shoplight - the older ones which have been potted up once have a fan on sometimes. With the fan, the temp is about 66 degrees - without the fan it gets up to about 71. The younger ones are about 2 weeks old and the older ones are 4 weeks.

I am planning on giving some Sophie's in a container as a Mother's Day gift to my mom, so I don't want to screw them up!

Comment (1)