SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrisofla

Should I pick Nam Doc Mai???

terrisofla
12 years ago

I feel like I should change my name to terriNamDocMai. I have asked so may questions about it on the forum. Thank you all for all your suggestions. I did finally go to Homestead and purchase the 0-0-51 fertilizer and also got some liquid kelp concentrate while I was there. Took my daughter and we made a stop at fruit stands for lychee (she decided she loves them)and milkshakes and other assorted tropical fruits.

I'm sort of experimenting with my tree. Well really, everything in my yard is an experiment, but I did quite a bit of reading online, and came to the conclusion that I may have a boron deficiency, or potassium deficiency on top of the fungus problems. I made a spray of fish emulsion, kelp concentrate and 1 teaspoon per gallon of borax. Also fertilized with my new potassium fertilizer. I did this about 10 days ago and see no ill effects yet. I'll write back next year and let you know if my tree is any happier and hopefully not worse.

Now to my question. I have several fruit that may be ready to pick. They are both still hard to the touch. One has yellow and pink blush because it's on the outside of the tree and weighs a little over 12 oz. The other is green, on the inside of the tree and weighs a little under 12 oz. The problem is, I found an immature fruit on the ground this morning that had been "tasted" by squirrels. I have waited over 5 years to try a Nam Doc Mai, I'm getting close and don't want to blow it by picking too early, but will be heartbroken if the squirrels beat me to it. Should I pick them?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES