SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

WANTED: Forest Park Fort Worth swap / trade ?

mikeandbarb
18 years ago

HI: All I am not able to travel very far and I'm so missing out on trades and swaps. Just wondering if anyone was interested in doing one at Forest Park? The trades I'd have is three types of salvias and some good old mondo grass. I'd have to look up and see what else I could come up with.

Barb

Comments (41)

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Hey, Barb, as you know, I love swaps!

But where're you talkin' 'bout???

Isn't Forest park the big street in front of Trinity Park, where we've had the spring & autumn swaps before?

I love that site!

• weldontx
    18 years ago

I'm getting rid of a lot of plants this week end, I'm sure
    there will be some left. WHEN & WHERE?
    Weldon

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Fort Worth February Seed Swap

Q

Comments (26)
    Son of a - Guys, I hate to do this to you, but I'm going to have to bow out. A few of you might be aware of this situation we've got. In short, a friend of mine has been staying with us while she was pregnant. She was in a bad spot, we had the room, so here we are. Anyway, she had the baby on Thursday, and she's coming home sometime Saturday but we don't know when they'll discharge her and the baby. So I'd better be available Saturday. Gah! I'm sorry I won't be able to make it, but I've got to choose taking care of her over socializing with my beloved gardening buddies. Sorry again! I hope you guys have a blast!
    ...See More

WANTED: Have: Part two of Fort Worth Autumn Swap

Q

Comments (34)
    Well I don't think I have had that much fun since I was a teenager! LOL! I am just in love with all my new plants. And as if I didn't bring home enough, my next door neighbor saw all my new plants and decided to gift me with some irises and honeysuckle:-) She wants to come to the spring swap. I think I may be able to get her addicted to gardenweb. I also have a friend that brought me a lilac and a turks cap and he seemed highly interested in all my loot. I haven't gotten everything planted yet. The toddler is making it hard to get things done this week! I just moved a bakers rack to the front of an east facing window so that takes care of the houseplants and everything else is in a protected staging area until it gets planted. Oh I am going to have too much fun. I had a great time and it was so wonderful to meet so many nice generous people. I have never felt so comfortable amongst strangers! Debbie, is it okay if I steal the above pics for my blog? Oh and Marti8A, I think it was you that gave me a goldfish plant and then the old rose.....It bloomed the day after I brought it home and it is GORGEOUS! The prettiest girliest shade of pink I have ever seen and it smells delicious. My girls are really going to enjoy picking roses all next year. Julie, the boxwood shrub is a hit in my house. Everybody loves how it looks like a little miniature tree. Okay, I have to shut up now. My son is getting into EVERYTHING! Becca
    ...See More

wanted: head count for lunch/oct 24/fw swap/forest park pavilion

Q

Comments (12)
    My wife and I will be there for sure. My Aunt and Uncle may attend and possibly one other. I will try to let you know for sure a couple of days prior. We will also bring a covered dish or two to share, trade, give away or whatever. It just dawned on me that I sort of invited myself and being new to this forum, I should have asked first, let alone inviting others. Forgive my forwardness and please let me know if I stepped out of bounds. I promise I will not be offended. Cheers!! Bill
    ...See More

Fort Worth Autumn swap Forest Park October 21st 2017

Q

Comments (24)
    Seems like everyone is very busy, so autumn swap is cancelled. I will be at Brown childs Park on Farley Street just south of 287 bypass in Waxahachie on the 14th, was some of the things I already have potted up, hope I won't have to care for them all winter long LOL.
    ...See More
  • mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

UPDATE.........

How does April 22nd sound?
    Time: 11:00 AM
    Place: Trinity Park

Trinity park is on University Drive the park entrance is right across from the Botanical Gardens. Once you turn into the park you will come to an end to go left or right you need to turn left and follow the road around till you come to the pavilion, it will be held next to the pavillion.

Plants I'm looking for, Passion flower vines and whatever is eye appealing =)

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Yay!

Those Trinity Park swaps are always such fun!

I'll pass the word to everyone I can think of!

• barefoot_in_texas
    18 years ago

Great. My mom recently passed away and I wasn't quite up to the Iris tour/plant swap this past weekend, so this will be great for me. Count me in. I know I will have some hostas and will have to check on others I may have.

• weldontx
    18 years ago

barefoot, if I can make it to the swap, I'd be interested in hostas. I'll have an assortment of roses. Will try to post a list closer to that time.
    Weldon

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

As always, I have the easy-to-grow & the cannot-be-killed.(think of it as a Darwin Garden: survival of the fittest!)

orange Kwanzo daylilies
    chocolate mint
    lamb's ears

& I need to divide some historic irises,
    so I'll have for sure:

Crimson King
    Gold Imperial
    Iris Albicans (old-fashioned white cemetary iris)

may have Indian Chief

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

just talked to Bobbie Mason, who had the Tour & Swap at her house recently.

She has an Iris Society "event" that day (she's presenting the program!), but I'm to stop by her house & pick up some "stuff", who knows what at this point.

Her plants are always big, healthy, & well-established.

& I separated & potted quite a bit of mint; I don't know what kind, need some of you with keener senses of smell to identify it!

may also have some blue mist flower.

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

My neighbor says it's the ever-popular spearmint!
    I have several pots of it.

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sylvia, Do you know of what plants Bobbie would like to trade for in exchange for some her great plants?

I have potted up some Henry duelburg salvia only have 3 of these, I still need to pot up some on the lady in red and Tropical pink salvia, still looking to see what else I'll have to bring.
    I know one day I will have so many plants I'll be begging ya'll to come and get the extras.

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Just talked to her:

She wants phlox, ajuga, & any color daylily.

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

I have
    quite a number of blue mistflower,
    1 Salvia Black & Blue,
    1 Salvia East Freesland (blue),
    2 pots brilliant red/purple Louisiana irises (can pot up more if needed).

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

I put a few itsy bitsy white daturas in pots,
    hope they settle in so that I can bring them.

I have a couple of Cinnamon Girl Iris, will dig up only if somebody requests.

& a few reealllly tall blue/purple ones, name unknown. They've bloomed already;they were 48" tall!

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sylvia, I'll take some Cinnamon Girl Iris

Barb

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Okey dokey!

(I'll dig it up the morning of the swap & bring it wrapped in newspaper, so you can plant it directly into the garden.)

• taterbug
    18 years ago

Do you think it would be worth the drive for me to come to this swap- all the way from Abilene? I am a newbie, never been to a swap. I have MANY winter sown seedlings. I am not needing any Iris. How many people do you think will come? elisabeth

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Welcome, Elisabeth!

It's hard to predict how many people will be able to make it to any gathering, but I did post a separate "roll call" thread, so maybe people will check in there.

I looked at your trade list, & I do know that I'll have Salvia Black & Blue (plant not seed), & I may be able to put my hands on a Lady in Red.

Don't know how far Abilene is, but, if you have Saturday late morning/early afternoon free, I highly recommend the plant swap:

You'll come home with stuff you want (& stuff you didn't know you wanted until you saw it),
    you'll learn at least a little more about gardening in Texas...
    & you'll meet some of the nicest people around!

• venessa
    18 years ago

I'll be there as long as it doesn't rain. I will have some rooted roses, unnamed pink or white old garden rose and a few others but will need to look through the greenhouse before I list them :O) I may also have some fall perennial aster if it transplants well and some blue mist flower (Eupatorium coelestinum) may have some artemisia limelight if it handles being dug up :) I will see what else I can find.

I am looking for rose cuttings.

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Venessa!

Hey, girl, where you been???

I have roses, evidently don't know how to take cuttings, but I'd be happy to try:

Duchesse de Brabant
    LaMarque
    Belinda's Dream
    Lavender Lassie
    Mrs B R Cant
    Pat Austin
    Rosette DeLizy (or something like that)
    Martha Gonzales
    Betty Prior

• kay75052
    18 years ago

hi everyone, my sister and I are newbies to the garden web as well as the plant swap. We don't have much to offer as trades since this will be our first time. I do have lots of chives if anyone is interested, I will bring some of that. I'm not sure what else I can dig up at this point.
    So for wants, my sister is looking for lots of monkey grass and I would like to have some hostas to put around my elm tree.
    Thank you.

Lena and Sue

• venessa
    18 years ago

Oh Sylvia I'd love to get cuttings of:
    Duchesse de Brabant
    LaMarque
    Lavender Lassie
    Mrs B R Cant
    Rosette DeLizy
    Betty Prior

Are you looking for any roses? I may have something in my stash.

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gang,

I have monkey grass Lena your welcome to it.
    I have 3 Lady in Red salvia, 1 black blue salvia, 3 potted grape Hyacinth These I dug up at my granny's old house so I have no idea how these transplant. If anyone knows please tell me.

• remuda1
    18 years ago

I am coming and bringing my mom :). This is our first plant swap and we're both looking forward to it. Sylvia, I will be bringing you some of the Turk's Cap if you would like it. Trouble is guys......I need advice on how best to transport the stuff. I have heard the some just use plastic grocery bags with soil in them...is this acceptable?

I can bring the Turk's Cap, some Gayfeather if anyone is interested and Irises (purple and yellow bearded). I also have some liriope I can dig.....any advice is welcome.

Also, do we bring a dish? And what time will the swap begin? I think that's all of the questions I have (for now!). Looking forward to it and thanks to everyone involved in organizing this event.

Kristi

• tina_2
    18 years ago

Hi all. Hey Weldon : I have some very nice Hostas, for you! What are you bringing ? Sylvia : Can I have some - Cinnamon Girl Iris & Bluemistflower.

I will be bringing :

a pond net cover - 6 x 10 ft.

daylillies - mixed / full sun - perennial.

jewel of opar / reseeding annual - full sun -pink
    star flower.

running bamboo - perennial/ for sun.

fragrant creeping phlox - purple flower -
    perennial / for shade .

fragrant 4 ' oclocks -hot pink /reseeding annual -
    for sun.

quart size pots / by request please. Don't be shy,
    just ask.

I will be looking for :

annuals

perennials

groundcover

ornamental grasses

herbs

tropicals

vines...etc.... & whatever.

Also, I really need a pump sprayer for my roundup!!!
    If anyone has an extra, I would really -- love it.

And I need trellises for some vines/roses.

And Welcome to all the new gardeners, please come !

Don't worry, if you haven't much to bring.

I'm sure we can get you started, with several new
    plants.

I can't wait to see eveyone!

Happy Gardening - Tina_2

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Welcome, Kristi!

Looking forward to seeing you & your mom!

People bring plants in all kinds of containers.
    Almost all the plants we see at the swaps are for outdoors, so no one plans to keep the plant in the container it comes in anyway.

(Just be sure your bags are waterproof & be sure to put them in the car tightly packed together to prevent tipping, or you'll be cleaning that car from now on!)

I try to have mine in pots, so they'll do better if they don't get planted right away.
    but I bring some things, like iris & cannas, wrapped in newspaper, & people often bring cuttings in plastic soda bottles & such.

(& if you need pots for future use, you can ask if someone will bring some!)

I'd love to have some Turk's cap!

My Aunt Lillie grew it under the swamp cooler/evaporative fan/water fan every summer, & it thrived & bloomed its head (heads?)off where the water dripped.
    Homely little story, but remembering it makes me smile.

The start time is 11:00 AM (it ends when we all go home!), & we're bringing snacks, drinks, & munchies to share.

Try to have everything labeled, &, if you do any pre-trades, put each person's plants in a box with a BIG label, & keep your pre-trades & the things you're taking home separate from the things you want to trade.

Barb, I think taterbug wants some B & B & some Lady in Red Salvia, & she has winter-sown seedlings.

I'm bringing some B&B too.

(The "roll call" thread has a list of what people are bringing/wanting, which might be easier to read than scrolling through all these messages.)

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

How did I miss a whole bunch of posts?

Duh.

Venessa, I'll bring 'em!
    I'd love to have a rose, preferably not very thorny (I already have every single thorny rose in the universe, & they all try to get me every day!).

Tina, I'll bring Cinnamon Girl & blue mistflower.

I can use some quart sized pots.

• remuda1
    18 years ago

Thanks Sylvia, looking forward meeting you and eveyone else......especially Tina (with the quart sized pots!!)LOL.

By the way, my leaf lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson) is going nuts, it's only my husband and I and if anyone would like for me to harvest some and bring it, I can do that too. If not, I will just have to make huge corsages out of it for all of you and everyone will be pointing and saying "look all of the "crazy garden people"!

Kristi

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Kristi, I love leaf lettuce!

Last summer I went on a salad binge:
    every day at lunch I had red & green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing, & a little fresh-ground black pepper.
    Yum.

What kinds of things are you looking for?

Even if it's not listed, someone may bring it if asked.

Just happened to think:

I'm looking for TOMATO PLANTS, loofah gourds, yellow summer squash, stevia, & cucumbers.

• remuda1
    18 years ago

Okay Sylvia, I have your leaf lettuce "fix" :). Your question would have been easier if you had asked "What are you NOT looking for." Seriously, I am interested in just about any perennial I can get my hands on. Love daylillies, have tons of irises but they were here when we moved in and I haven't done any research on them. I would still be interested in other types/colors. All I have are yellow or purple and all bearded.

As far as tomatoes, I have super sweet 100 cherries and the larger early girl. I don't have extra "plants" but if you don't mind cuttings, I can bring you those.

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

I'd love to have tomato cuttings:

A vendor at Dallas Farmers Market last year told me that tomatoes will grow more roots if you put more of the stem underground.

I did it, & I had more tomatoes last year than ever before.

I can bring Cinnamon Girl iris, photo above, if you like the looks of it, & I have plenty of the blue/purple one as well.

• remuda1
    18 years ago

Sylvia,
    I would love to have a couple of both irises as well as your daylillies. Them tomato tip was a good one. I usually make a small trench and lay the original root ball and about 1/3 of the stem in it and plant that way. Also makes for a really sturdy plant. My goodness, this is going to be fun!

• venessa
    18 years ago

Oh Sylvia sorry but all my young roses are the painful ones :) I do have Reine des Violette which is thornless that I can try and root for you. It would be ready maybe this fall but for sure next spring. I checked the roses I have and maybe something will catch your eye. Abraham Darby, Tropicana, Lady Elsie May, The Green Rose, Cherry Parfait. I have others but will have to wait for them to bloom to id them becuase they got knocked over and lost their markers :(

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, I only have one BB salvia but she's welcome to it.

Remuda, I'd love some Gayfeather and turks cap.

See y'all Saturday

Barb

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Oops, Barb don't worry, I'll bring more than one B & B Salvia so we won't run out!

Venessa, Abraham Darby sounds luscious!

• yoyo75052
    18 years ago

Sylvia,
    I would love to have some Cinnamon girl iris if you still have extra to share. I bring loofas for you. TT

• venessa
    18 years ago

You got it Sylvia. It smells wonderful, I just brought some in to put in a vase.

• remuda1
    18 years ago

Barb,

I'll be happy to bring you the Turk's Cap and Gayfeather. Look forward to meeting you.

Kristi

• tina_2
    18 years ago

Hi - Kristi- I would like some of the Gayfeather plant. I will bring the pots you want. Also I, would like the loofah vine - TT. I have tried to grow both & had no luck. Please save some for me?
    Thanks so, much. Tina_2

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Great! Yoyo, I'll bring some Cinnamon Girl for you!

• weldontx
    18 years ago

I HOPE that at least some of you can catch this. Sorry I'm so late getting it on the list. If things go well, and I make it to the swap by noon, I will have the following:
    For Barb -- white datura plants
    For Cathy C.-- Old Blush + another of her choice
    Roses: 1 pink mini; 1 red cascade; 1 Chrysler Imperial; 1 Paul Neyron; 1 Monsieur Tillier; 1 Sea Foam; 1 Kordes Perfecta; 1 ? lost the tag; 1 runt Belinda's Dream.
    Veggie: Heirloom Tomatoes; a few basil, 2 broccoli (all these are small)
    Flowers: 4 Tx Heritage hollyhocks; 2 lemon balm; 3 yellow columbine; about 6 Tiger eye marigold; lots more datura; 3 cosmos; 5 catchfly
    WHAT I'D LIKE TO TRADE FOR: Probably not much, could use horse manure, potting soil, 6" and gal. pots. OR if someone has a nice big urn shaped pot.
    could use time, space and patience.
    Hope to see you there

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

It was lots of fun, saw a lot of old friends, met a lot of new ones!

I'm trying to post photos:
    Please bear with me.
    I don't know if photobucket is messed up, aol is messed up, my computer (shudder) is messed up, or *I'm* messed up, but...

I'm having trouble.

Will get the photos posted as I am able.

Thanks to everyone who made this swap such a success & so much fun!

sylvia

Sponsored