SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_frog

WANTED: 3rd annual wny plant swap - update important!!!

garden_frog
18 years ago

Ok everyone,

If you are interested in attending the plant swap, this is very important!!!

I have sent an email to all people who have contacted me and/or attended in the past. HOWEVER, as I was going through my list, I realized that for some unknown reason, my outlook contact list is missing some people that I know have attended previously. So even if you have attended, I may be missing your email address.

SO, as I said, I've sent an email to all people for whom I have addresses. If you do not get an email from me, please email me and let me know you are interested in attending so I can add you to the list. I apologize if I've left anyone out. I can't understand why most are still there but some aren't.

Here are the details for the swap...

Hi all!

June is fast approaching which means the plant swap is too!! YAY!!

OK, so if you've received this email it means you will continue to receive updates on the swap as they come. If you don't want to receive details about the upcoming plant swap, please let me know and I will be happy to remove your name from the mailing list.

Details:

DATE: JUNE 4, 2006

TIME: 11am

WHERE: Gaines/Albion NY, my house. Directions and address will be emailed as we get closer to the date of the swap.

WHAT TO EXPECT: The swap will be pretty much the same as years past...we'll have prearranged swaps and the plant swap first, then a pot luck and a Chinese swap. PLEASE BE SURE TO RSVP FOR THE CHINESE SWAP AS WELL AS WHAT YOU WILL BE BRINGING TO THE POTLUCK!!

The Swap will consist of:

Prearranged trades/gifts: I encourage people who are looking for specific plants, to work out prearranged trades with other attendees. Hopefully most of us have trade lists up on Garden web. This is a great way to find plants that you are looking for and/or find homes for plants that you have. There is a thread started already about what people are bringing, so that may be a good spot to post about possible trades. Also this is the time for anyone who may have brought a plant with someone specific in mind without wishing anything in return to give their plant to that person.

General Plant Swap: The method of swapping in past years seemed to work well for the general swap so I think I will use that same plan this year. (Unless of course there are any strong objections) As people arrive, they will be given a number (I may do this consecutively or have people draw from a hat, I'm not sure yet.) Once the swap begins, the person with number one will select one plant. Then the person with number two will select a plant, then number three, and so on. Once we are all the way through, we will start over again. If you reach a point that you no longer want anything, you may opt out of the trade at that point. Any extras/leftovers will be up for grabs for anyone.

Optional Chinese Swap: There will also be an optional Chinese swap. I will explain this again for those of you who do not know what it is. In a Chinese swap, everyone brings a wrapped gift of a set value. Every one participating draws a number out of a hat. Once all the numbers are drawn, number one picks and unwraps a gift. Number two can then either pick a new gift or take number one's gift. If #2 chooses #1's gift, number one gets to pick a new wrapped gift from the table. Next, number three can pick a wrapped gift from the table or #1 or #2's gift, if #3 takes one of the unwrapped gifts, then whoever she took it from takes another wrapped gift and opens it. This continues until the last person goes...who either picks anyone of the unwrapped gifts or the last remaining wrapped gift. The basic rule is if someone takes your gift, you can only pick from the wrapped gifts, not from the other unwrapped gifts. I know this sounds confusing, but it is a lot of fun, and very funny!!! If you would like to participate in this, please bring with you a wrapped garden-related gift with a value of $10-$15. (Again, if people think the price limitation is off, please let me know). If you are still confused, let me know, and I will try to explain it better. Also, when you RSVP, let me know if you are going to participate in this so I can be sure we will have enough people for it.

Potluck: There will also be a potluck meal at the swap. I am asking everyone to bring one dish to pass. If you do not like to cook, there are many acceptable alternatives (i.e. soda, chips/dip, plates/napkins, etc.), please feel free to ask me for suggestions if you can not decide what to bring or can't think of anything. Please also include what you will bring to the potluck with your RSVP , so that I can be sure that we have all areas accounted for and not 20 pasta salads but no drinks or anything else!

Time to get to know other garden enthusiasts in the area: The best part of the swap is that it gives us all a chance to get to know other garden "nuts" in the area. There will be plenty of time for people to chat and visit.

RSVP: If you are planning on attending the swap, you must let me know as I will not be posting directions to my home over the internet. If you have received this via email, you are on my list. However, if you are reading this on Garden Web, and have not received an email from me, you are not on the list. Please contact me so I can ensure you are not left out!!! IMPORTANT: For those of you I do have on the list...please be sure to email me about what you are bringing to the pot luck and let me know if you wish to participate in the Chinese swap (both of which are explained previously). I will email directions to my house at a later point to all people who have RSVP'd.

More Details and miscellaneous information:

What to bring to the swap: Please feel free to bring any plants you would like, of any size. Trees and shrubs are also acceptable. Other garden related items are also welcome including garden tools, books, seeds, bird feeders, etc.

How to package your plants: I ask that all plants come in a LABELED container of some kind. It does not have to be a pot, but it should be something that contains the plant and will allow the plant to stay healthy despite exposure to sun. Bareroot plants will not survive the day in the sun at my house! Also, please be sure to label your plants with AS MUCH information as possible. Some things to list: Common name, scientific name, sun/shade exposure, color, care instructions, your name or email (so that people can contact you with questions), etc. Please be sure that your plants are watered before they get here!

What else should I bring? I ask that every person attending bring (and wear) their own name tag listing BOTH their gardenweb name and what they would like to be called by. I'll have plenty of blanks on hand for anyone who needs them. If you can, please bring a folding chair or lawn chair of some sort...I have some, but I'm sure I don't have enough! Anyone with extra folding tables, please bring them along. I have a few, but I am sure I don't have enough. Also, it's a good idea to bring boxes or plastic sheets of some sort to transport you plants home in!

Parking: When you arrive, feel free to come down the driveway and unload your plants. Once you have unloaded your plants, please drive back down the driveway and down the street to the grass driveway on our side yard. I will have flags or cones or something else marking the spot so you will know where to go. Please do not drive across the lawn from the driveway to the parking area on our side yard as there is a low spot where the cars sink in. If you are unsure where to park or how to get there, just ask Scott or I when you arrive.

Just an FYI: As always, my gardens are a work in progress so please excuse any unfinished projects we have underway! And, just to let you all know, I have three dogs. They are extremely friendly dogs, but they do love to greet new visitors. If you are very afraid of or allergic to dogs, please let me know in advance so that I can anticipate your needs.

Tara

Comments (22)

Sponsored