SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharonsavage

Help - heirloom/saved tomato seeds did not germinate/sprout

sherryk
14 years ago

Greetings, I am new to GardenWeb and looking forward to gleaning some great wisdom from you all!

*I did post this to the heirloom board, and a kind lady there said I may have more responses from you all on the tomato board.

We have saved our various seeds for about 20 years - this year, none of our heirloom tomato seeds came up (not one cell). This was the first time this has happened to us. We do have a few more seeds, but not many and it is getting rather late in the game to start them. Has anyone else had this issue with their tomatoes? I don't know if they crossed with another variety last summer or we had some pesticide drift issues - I just don't know.

We had Brandywine and San Marzano. Also we purchased a "Super Italian" a great sauce plum from Lily of the Valley Nursery outside of Alliance OH several years back - I know the business was for sale - I have to check if they are still there. The plants did very well from them

Any suggestions, words of wisdom would be great. My husband is perplexed & heart-broken that our seeds have been compromised in some way.

Take care & happy gardening!

Sharon

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer