SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lil_green_thumb

obf june swap #2

lil_green_thumb
16 years ago

OurBloomin Friends Friendship Swap Group was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between the group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you. Please be a successful member of garden web and have had a trade with two or three of our members. Membership requests should be directed to veeja/carol via email.

**TIME FOR OUR JUNE SWAP!!**

THIS MONTH'S THEME IS PATRIOTIC. JULY 4TH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER! SO WE ARE HAVING A JULY FOURTH BASED SWAP!

WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE TO SEND SHOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE THEME.

FOR EXAMPLE:

--PLANTS THAT BLOOM RED, WHITE OR 'BLUE'.

--PLANTS WITH THE WORD AMERICA (AMERICAN) OR FREEDOM OR SOMETHING THAT HAS PATRIOTIC SYMBOLISM IN THE NAME

--FOR NON-PLANT ITEMS, BE SURE TO INCLUDE THINGS STICKING TO OUR RED WHITE AND BLUE THEME AND THE FOURTH OF JULY.

--ALSO PLEASE TRY TO INCLUDE A PIN, STICKER OR OTHER LITTLE SOMETHING FOR YOUR PARTNER SHOWING SUPPORT FOR OUR TROOPS!

SIGNUPS UNTIL JUNE 4TH. PARTNERS WILL BE POSTED THAT EVENING.

BOXES TO BE MAILED OUT BY JUNE 25TH!

ANITA--SENDS TO--CAROL

SUSIE--SENDS TO--SHIRLEY

JEANNE--SENDS TO--SUSIE

CAROL--SENDS TO--DEB

DIZZY--SENDS TO--JEANNE(SANDLAPPER ROSE)

REMY--SENDS TO--ANITA

SHIRLEY--SENDS TO--KIMBERLY

DEB--SENDS TO--REMY

MARYANNE--SENDS TO--DIZZY

KIMBERLY--SENDS TO--MARYANNE

-Kimberly

Comments (59)

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

George Washington is credited for saying: "We take the stars from Heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity representing Liberty."

Ok, now you have me searching about the flag.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• dancingmoons
    16 years ago

Hi all!!
    Hope all is well with everyone and your gardens are growing like crazy!!...I know i am not in this months swap, but i read it at least once a day!!..I cant help but try this trivia, as my DH and i were just discussing this the other day, with our son... DH is a huge history buff, and when i told him about the trivia, he said i should try it, so here goes:

The Continental Congress left no documentation as to why it chose the colors of the American flag. Legend has it unofficially that George Washington interpreted the elements of the flag this way: the stars represented the sky, the red was from the British flag's colors, and the white stripes signified the secession from the home country of England. ~~ IF i am right please this months players names in a hat, a pull out a winner!! Blue skies to all! Trish/Dancingmoons
  • Related Discussions

NEW: obf june swap sign-up!

Q

Comments (99)
    MARYANNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! I received your box today, and lady, you sure pack a great swap box!!! HOLY-COW!!!! Gals, this huge box was FULL of plants and she also managed to get a few fun items in too! For reds - 5 fans of Granny Garnet Iris, Lillium in 1) Samur, 2) LaToya, 3) Avignon Whites - Yarrow, astilbe "Rock & Roll", White leaf with green margin hosta Blues - Halycon Hosta, tradesandia "Purple Profusion", Night Ember daylily and of course, Blue Fescue grass! LOL!! And just for summer fun, there was also a nice clump of mint as well as FIVE Rose of Sharon starts!! Now, for the fun stuff - Earthly also sent a red/white tablecloth, 2 plastic USA cups, the cutest little wooden Americana angel, incense, a new fairy/frog address book, a flag keychain, a great tin sign in Americana which says "3 cheers for the red, white & blue", and even a US flag! To top off this red, white & blue theme, she included a Patriot Hosta!!!!! MaryAnne, I really am thrilled with EVERYTHING you included in this great swap box! And I did not have any of the plants, except the Patriot hosta, which I LOVE & wanted more of! Thank you so much!! Susann
    ...See More

update: part 2 obf june's special friend swap

Q

Comments (72)
    Shirley - #1 Sheri's box -( Sherri sent/ Shirley received). Sheri - #12 Susan's box - (Susan sent/Sheri received) Jayeanne - #10 Shirley's box (Shirley sent/Jayeanne received)) Nikki - #7 Sharon's box (Sharon sent/Nikki received) Erica - #8 Jasmine's box - (Jasmine sent/Erica received) Sharon - #9 Beth's box - (Beth sent/Sharon received)) Jasmine - #5 Jayeanne's box (Jayeanne sent/Jasmine rec) Laura - #11 Suzanne's box (Suzanne sent/Laura received)) Suzanne - #3 Carol's box (Carol sent/Suzanne received) Beth - #4 Erica's box (Erica sent/Beth received)) Susan - #2 Nikki's box (Nikki sent) Carol - #6 Laura's box (Laura sent) Almost finished with this swap..sure hope Carol's box arrives. Sharon thank you, I enjoyed it. Shirley
    ...See More

OBF Wacky June Swap

Q

Comments (126)
    Margo-Congratulations on your first grandchild -soon-to-be. So sad to hear about your bird....I love when they can talk to you that is so cool. We get so attached to our pets and it is hard when we lose them. Hugs coming your way. Thanks for all the happy anniversaries...I remember when Eddie asked me to marry him and I said no way. I hate needles and told him no blood tests for me. He said he knew we could go to SC and not have to get blood tests so that is what we did. Jeanne-lets pray the treatments get scheduled soon. Keep us updated. Glad you received the daylily and hope you see tons of blooms. WE have had so much rain it is unreal. I don't know if my bearded irises can withstand all this rain, they are bad to get bacterial soft-rot with too much rain. Sue G - I received the daylilies and will ship out your Freda James Daylily Monday. Thanks A Halloween anniversary sounds interesting. Eddie always says everyone celebrates our anniversary with all the fireworks. Shirley
    ...See More

update: obf: june white elephant swap #3

Q

Comments (2)
    I recieved a great box from shirley- I got: Japanese Iris - Center of Attention Japanese Iris - Edens Starship Japanese Iris - Mount Fujiyama Asiatic Lily - Beverlys Dream Asiatic Lily - Grand Cru Asiatic Lily - Patricas Pride Bearded Iris - Bel Espirit Bearded Iris - Stairway to Heaven Bearded Iris - Silverado Bearded Iris - Thornbird Louisiana Iris - Black Gamecock Hosta - StripTease Columbine - Barlow Black Mint - Chocolate Daylily - Aragon Daylily - Piano Man Daylily - Tooth Crocosmia - Emily McKenzie Thanks you so much!
    ...See More
  • sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

So glad the box got there, Susie. Traveling is rough on the plants so I always hope the post office speeds the box along. At least the glad bulbs and the seeds should make it regardless. LOL
    As for winter sowing, I had never done it before this year and am totally hooked. I guess 80% or more of my seeds germinated. Sorry you had such poor luck with it. (I did have a packet of seeds from a swap that were supposed to be pink petunias though that are definitely not pink petunias. I am guessing "ice plant" although I won't know for sure until they bloom. For now they are "the mystery plant.")
    The white calla lily was grown from seed about 2 years ago. I had never gotten seeds on my plant prior to that. I saved them until the next year and every one of them germinated. It amazed me. My mother plant stays in a pot year round and comes back up and blooms every year. I have thyme planted in the pot as well and the thyme drapes down the sides of the pot.
    The Salvia 'Red Spelndens' was planted towards the end of March and is from a late winter sowing. I have some here that are getting ready to bloom and the bud sure looks like the flower will be white, so we shall see. (Another packet of seeds that came from a swap...) I will be even happier with them if they are white!
    Balsam "Peppermint Stick,' Gallardia 'Red Flame,' Red Veined Dock, and Summer Poinsetta were planted from seed - probably in late March or Early April. I didn't write the date down. Summer Poinsettia is so beautiful if it grows well for you. This is my second year trying it. For some reason, mine stays tiny and doesn't "do its thing." It will be interesting to see if it likes your climate better.
    Lavender 'Spanish Eyes' was planted Feb. 27 from commercial seeds that I had since 2005 and I had a really high germination rate with it and have many, many of the plants in bloom right now. Love the fragrance!
    Perilla - here it tends to send its seeds traveling so you may want to cut off the flower and not let it go to seed. I let some of mine go to seed and they love to travel around the yard. Anyway, the deep burgundy colored leaf is what is special about it, not the flower.
    I also planted the Bush Basil from seed. Can't remember when. Anyway, this reminds me that I need to put my basil plants in the ground. They are still growing in their little germination pots.
    The other plants are ones that were purchased awhile ago or are from swaps. Gee, I have my whole plant history here for you! LOL
    With the tiny plants that I sent being from seed and some being annuals rather than perennials, I tried to make sure that I sent lots of extra types hoping a decent number will survive for you. Glad they will allow you to try some different things! Enjoy.

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I did a little research and Jenell is right.

Frequently Asked Questions
    What do the red, white, and blue of the flag represent?

The Continental Congress left no record to show why it chose the colors. However, in 1782, the Congress of the Confederation chose these same colors for the Great Seal of the United States and listed their meaning as follows: white to mean purity and innocence, red for valor and hardiness, and blue for vigilance, perseverance, and justice. According to legend, George Washington interpreted the elements of the flag this way: the stars were taken from the sky, the red from the British colors, and the white stripes signified the secession from the home country. However, there is no official designation or meaning for the colors of the flag.

Stars- Taken from the sky
    Red- British colors
    White- Home country

Deb

• skohler
    16 years ago

good evening all just wanted to let you know i will be working on our july swap will try to post it by sunday
    so that everyone can deside to play or not :::))
    Hope to make it a fun one :)

have a great weekend ladies

susie

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LoL - even have Annie and Trish playing! Trish, Annie answered 2 minutes before you did! lol Good Going you two! Annie said earlier to give it to someone in the swap.....Trish says draw names........ How about if we give it to the first one correct that is in the swap? So Deb you win this trivia question!!

Legend has it unofficially that George Washington interpreted the elements of the flag this way: the stars represented the sky, the red was from the British flag's colors, and the white stripes signified the secession from the home country of England.

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Thanks Kim! The trivia question was interesting, and I learned something new! How fun!

I'm so busy today, I'm having a Birthday party for my Mom and Brother in Law and have a million small things to do! I'm not even sure where to start! Better get off line first, that will help, LOL!

Have a good weekend everyone! Hope everyone is staying cool! It's 93* today and so humid!

Deb

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Was 77 here earlier......mostly cloudy and several thunderstorms again today.......

Deb, Anita, Maryanne - your trivia gifts went out this morning.

Maryanne - your box will go out later in the week coming. I haven't dug up any plants or anything yet but it's like a little voice is telling me something is missing - just don't know what it is! Everything but the plants is packed and ready.

Shirley - my swap box arrived this afternoon also! OMG was it loaded!! above and beyond!
    -Gloves
    -Red White & Blue M&Ms (yummy! - hid those in my desk drawer! lol! but Kiddo saw me do it so I will have to share LoL!)
    -patriotic wall plaque with hooks! Am going to put this by the door for keys!
    -clown sedum
    -sedum purple emperor
    -white campion (i have rose campion! ty so much for the white)
    (never had sedum before! - all the plants are new to me!)
    -crocosmia
    -Iris - celebration, rootbeer, lets boogie, apollo one.
    -Day Lilys- Frankie's Fantasy, border sentry, to barbare, all american eagle, red volunteer
    -Siberian Iris -Ceasars Brother
    -Japanese Iris - raspberry gem, pleasant sandman
    and
    cuttings of Purple Heart - which as you said on the note is very fitting for all the soldiers who give their lives for our freedom!
    Ty so much for a great box...........

watch for another trivia question to come in a few days.....

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Deb, one of your boxes should arrive from parks seeds soon, I will get the other out by thursday, still tired from moving. I ordered you a couple of plants also only to see they will ship in fall, hope they at least tell you what they are. sorry hugs carol

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Hope everyone has been well! I've been busy at work because of Father's Day. Also Gary's grandmother died and we had her funeral last week too. She was 90 and sick for awhile and starting to lose her mind too. So it is all for the best.

Kim,
    Great trivia question! It is hard to come up with ones that are not easy to do a quick search to get the answer.

Anita,
    I plan to mail on Wednesday. I already have some things potted and ready to go, so it should happen : )

Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Quick Hi To All,
    Have tons of wedding stuff to take care of, as I spent Sunday with DH & yesterday I just plain took the day off & did NOTHING, it felt so good.

Kim,
    Thank you soooooo much, again dizzy thank you, I got my pooh box & had to start crying when I opened it & not only did Kim send me the 1 pooh, but, SHE SENT BOTH of them, words can't thank you enough for your kindness, I will cherish them forever, will post a pic when I deiced just the right planters to put them in.

Carol,
    Will let you know when I have yours ready.

Remy,
    I'm in no hurry:)

Hope you all are stating cool & having fun, :)Anita back to packing wedding things away till the next one:)

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anita..... thank Dizzy and Maryanne. Both ladies wanted you to get both pooh planter thingies! I have been keeping my eyes open for more too!

Have a great day all!

• dancingmoons
    16 years ago

~~~ lil_green_thumb~~~ Kimberly!! Thank you so much for the birthday card you mailed!! I recieved it today. That was so thoughtful of you, thank you again for your kindness!..I will be the big 50 this year!!..Which is a shocker to me, as when i was a kid i thought i would never be that old LOL !!

~~~We have been "renovating" and i use the term loosely, as $$$ is tight, and have dipped into our savings as my job cannot pay for all we need/want to do...First thing we did was re\-do the downstairs bathroom, put in a new sink, painted, etc...Bought two truck loads of mulch, and did mostly all the garden beds, and front of the house, looks much better! We still need to paint the whole inside of the house, but have already done most of the ceilings and the stairwells..Our gigest job, is painting the outside of the house!!..Such a project!., First we need to scrape off whatever old paint we can, (good thing we have a power washer to help!) and right now we are priming the whole house in that white paint called "Kilz" before putting on the final coat of color! At least the kids are helping too, so that is a plus...We may need to sell the house so the painting and exta yard work we are doing will help fetch a decent price (i hope) if we do have to move...So that is why i have been MIA on the forums lately... ~~~I do read then all at least once a day, and try to keep up with everyone and who is planting what, and what is blooming where, and who is still un\-packing, etc!!...My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you that need rain, or who are getting too much rain also, our rain seems to be just right this year so far. ~~~I love reading who is getting what this swap int here boxes ~~~Kimberly, again i thank you for being such a sweetie!! Blue skies and soft winds to all!! Trish
  • Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Kim,
    My trivia prizes arrived, thanks so much Kim! They look so festive in the kitchen! I never have enough towels, potholders!

Your Hostess gift went out today, USPS #0306 1070 0004 0387 1075. I hope you like the package!

Deb

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    I just finished watching So You Think You Can Dance. The woman at work's son, Neil, is still in it. I just voted for him. I think she was ready to kill me last week when I said I didn't, lol. I wasn't worried that he would go home. I was right, but I know she is getting very nervous.

Anita,
    I got your pkg. out today, DC# 0303 0103 0000 1798 0191. Hope you like it : )
    What is the wedding stuff? I must of missed something before.

Kim,
    I still need to get your hostess gift together. I have it partially finished. I'm so behind lately. I'm not sure why.

Trish,
    HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you have a great day tomorrow : )
    Sounds like the house is looking great. I do hope your DH finds some work soon.

Remy

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

One day, a long, long time ago, there was a man who surprisingly, was not full of **it!

But that was a long, long time ago....and it was just ONE day!!!!

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Having man trouble Maryanne?

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Trish. I hope you have a wonderful day. Can you believe 50 is beginning to sound young to me? LOL

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just dropping in!

I have to run out of town til Sunday Morning.
    Maryanne your box will go out Monday afternoon.

Have a great weekend all!

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Deb your non plant box went out today confirmation # 03070020000349294478. have you heard from parks yet? Kim, I'm late, but will get it done, need your addy too. hugs moving dazed carol

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Carol,
    The parks envelope arrived today!

Carol ordered seeds for me from Park's seeds!
    Columbine -Cameo Mix
    Sedum -Hardy Blend
    Penstemon
    Campanula (White)
    Campanula (Blue)
    Acroclinium Goliath/Paper Daisy

Plus 2 plants that are back ordered-
    Clematis Avant
    Dianthus (Blue)

Thanks so much Carol! I love Park seeds! They usually do so well for me! I'm going to have to look up a few of these to see what they look like!

Kim,
    I just read that your leaving until Sunday. Everything in your hostess box is 'live' so I hope all the plants will be ok. Hopefully, you received the box before you left. I mailed it a few days ago (by priority).

Deb

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Trish, Happy Belated Birthday, Hope you had a great one!!

Remy,
    Thank you so much, I got my box, Have not had time to unpack it yet, have my GS, WOW I don't recall a 2 year old having as much energy as he has:)
    Remy sent me:
    Red- Foliage Salvia (Knock Out)
    Red- Centranthus (Jupiter's Beard) She winter sowed
    White- Geranium Alba- She winter sowed
    White- Eupatrium Ned to look up
    Blue Veronica (Royal Blue)
    Blue- Campanula Latiflora She winter sowed
    White- KLEENEX, Yes, that was funny:) But I can use them
    Red- Cherry scented candle
    Blue- Sun Catcher
    White- Dwarf Goats Beard She winter sowed
    Hardy Cactus
    & Groovy Pooh stickers.
    Thank you so much, now to find the right places for everything.
    Wedding stuff is, I do weddings here, I have all the decorations & do all the bouquets, corsages, flower girl baskets & ect, 6-16-07 was the 6 one DH & I have done, we have another 1 to do August 11th.

Kim, dizzy & Maryanne, Thank you all so much for me receiving the Pooh pot sitter's, I LOVE them.

Kim & Carol,
    Your boxes should be going out Monday.

Off to do laundry, have a great day all..:)Anita

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deb - my hostess gifts (for both swaps i am assuming-i know it was for OBF hostess and there was another note in there also) arrived yesterday afternoon. I got them all planted and settled in nicely before i left. I didnt bring a list with me ..... but i can remember some....... there was like 10 houseplant cuttings in the box. one begonia beatrice haddrell (never had a begonia), two AV leaves each of windy day and ice cream, a succulent, string of hearts vine, 3 types of wandering jew, rope hoya, heart hoya, and seems like im missing one- just cant think of what it could be!
    ty so much deb! since i lost all but like 3 of mine back at easter these are GREATLY appreciated!
    ty ty ty!!!

~Kim

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Anita,
    Glad the box made it there ok. Sorry about my bad writing. The unusual plant is Eupatorium perfoliatum. It is a native wetland wild flower. Butterflies like it. It will grow in a big pot right in your pond, like I have mine,(it stays right in pond all winter) or in a damp spot in the garden. It gets about 4-5' tall. it will develop white flower heads. I'm not sure how much it will bloom this year because I had to cut it back to make it fit in the box, lol.

Kim,
    I'm mailing out your hostess gift on Tuesday : )
    Remy

• dizzydaffodil
    16 years ago

Hey y'all, hope everyone is doing well. I swear this entire month has rushed by without a rest.

Jeanne, your box is going out Monday. Sorry to take so long, but I was waiting on an item to arrive "any day' after the 14th. Jeez, just got here Friday. Anyhow, I'll post the del conf as soon as I get it.
    Kim, your hostess gift will go at the same time.

Looks like some great boxes have been received! Have a great weekend all!
    Susann ~ Dizzy

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

No problem at all. I will watch for the box and let you know when it gets here.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• dizzydaffodil
    16 years ago

Jeanne, box one is 0103 8555 7490 0255 8346
    will post another small box & Kim's hostess later.

• dizzydaffodil
    16 years ago

Jeanne, box 2 is Delivery conf #0103 8555 7491 3996 6304

Kim, your hostess box is del conf #0103 8555 7491 1899 4786

Hope you like your goodies!! Happy 4th of July!!!

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Other people's drama made for a busy weekend for me! lol
    My best friend is having a rough time right now so I spent the weekend with her..... look for a trivia question later.......
    will be the last one!
    maryanne im slow and your box is packed.....will get it out shortly........

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Kim,
    I got your hostess gift out as promised. DC #0303 0130 0000 1798 1860.
    That was very nice of you to spend the weekend with your best friend.

Maryanne,
    I forgot to ask. What happened the other day? Some man treat you bad?

Anita,
    Did you get to look at the suncatcher yet? I hope I remembered correctly that you like what is on it. If I was wrong, save it for a gift, lol.
    Remy

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Dizzy, a box from you arrived today. Thanks so much for all you sent. You had a great technique for packing the plants! I will just list a few of the plants, but there are lots in the package. Thank you so much! I know it's hard to dig and ship in this heat. I'll bet we have similar growing conditions - at least when there is a long stretch with no rain here. Hot, hot, hot!
    For the others, here are a few that I received from Dizzy: a 3-in-1 hydrangea (red, white, and blue on one plant - how cool!!!), daylily "May May', 'Helga' mum, Stonecrop 'Dragon's Blood' and Verbena 'Red Obsession" among others. I do quite a bit of planting in red, white, and blue so this swap was a great one.
    Thanks again.

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Carol's box arrived! Carol sent a bunch of festive items!
    Fan visor (perfect for the garden)
    Red, white, blue necklace & bracelet
    Candy boxes-red sour/blue sour, plus a big sucker
    Red Cardinal beanie baby
    Flag body jewelry
    Red poppy seeds, Blue forget me nots
    temperature gauge
    Blocks that spell "Bloomin" (how cute)

I hope I'm not forgetting anything, if so, it's not on purpose! I can't read my own writing!

Thanks Carol!

Deb

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Kim,
    Your D/C # 0103 8555 7491 4042 4626, Sorry for being late:(

Carol,
    Your D/C #0103 8555 7491 3034 5771, Sorry for being late, you will have another box from me, I have had a very bad week, I need to call the DEC & see what can be done about the bear that thinks I should feed it, I have been unable to even go to my gardens for fear that sucker will come out, he/she has found a new home behind my barn, I am down 1 suet feeder & 3 bird feeders, not sure what he/she will go after when they are all gone. My dogs? My cats? My pond? My grill? I so hate this bear.

Remy,
    I did get to look at it, Thank you:0)

Anita off to call DEC.

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maryanne......your box went out tuesday
    DC# 0306 3030 0003 6038 4751

I checked and it arrived in PA today...... hope you get it today

I promise one more trivia question........I couldnt get online last night due to the severe storms here...... sandlapper are you getting hit too?

i have things to do this afternoon.......if storms hit again tonight i will post it late or in the AM........

Happy Hump Day all!!!!!!!!

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

No, lil green thumb, not a drop of rain where we live. The storms seem to be hitting other areas. There was a bad one east of us on Sunday afternoon and I heard a bad one in some areas of Columbia recently. Here in our area, I am still outside holding the hose several times a day!
    Dizzy, when I potted up the hydrangea last evening I wasn't sure if it is one plant or more than one plant. I didn't want to tug too hard so I just left it alone. It is supposed to cool down to the 80s this weekend so if it does I can get a few things in the ground. Right now anything new is in pots and in a shady spot.

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

kim, the gigantic box arrived. I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

i'm going through it now, i'll post in a bit.

maryanne

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

What an absolutely incredible box I received from Kim today. This extra large box was just jammed packed with goodies in a patriot theme.

There were these neat little red, white, blue, silver and transparent stars sprinkled all throughout the box - like confetti at a party.

Kim sent me a red noid daylily (not a fan - an entire plant!!!!) that was from her grandmotherÂs. (Not to worry, IÂll give them my own name and pass it on to you). I just love having a piece of an old-timerÂs garden among my flowers. This is an entire plant, scapes and all and thereÂs a bud which is bursting open, so IÂll be able to see it right away. I also received a clematis - firecracker. I am learning to have an amazing appreciation of clematis and IÂm thrilled to add this one to my list. ThereÂs even a bloom on it! I also received a hosta Âdorset blue another fine addition to my collection; a red gerber daisy, which will find itÂs home in this new ceramic pot I just got and Delphinium Âshooting starsÂ. I have the perfect spot for this one, since I just dug out some other things and have a blank spot!

Oh an while I was unwrapping one of the plants, out came a bug - one like IÂve never seen before. I was in a mood, so I squashed it. Sure hope you didnÂt mean to send a pet LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Then there was all this red, white and blue patriot stuff which really tickled me. ThereÂs a set of bucket citronella candles; a long wind twister and then one shaped in a star; two American lawn flags, a star party centerpiece; three strands of garland and a kitchen towel/potholder set and several boxes of sparklers and a Âsupport the troops car magnet.

To keep in the red, white and blue themeÂthere was sweet pea hand cream, a mini hummingbird feeder and feed, strawberry cream savers, a guardian angel key chain and a combination nail file/key chain.

Kim, I just love everything you sent me. I am so thrilled to have received this box so packed with a little bit of everything that encompassed the entire theme of this monthÂs swap. I will continue to enjoy everything you sent me for a very long time. I even picked out all those little stars and will sprinkle them on the table when I set it for the 4th!

Thank you again I LOVE IT ALL!!!!
    BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Maryanne

• dizzydaffodil
    16 years ago

Whew! So I wasn't the last one to send out my box??!!

Yay! You got it Jeanne! Watch for the other one - should be today. Really hope you like the plants I sent and that they arrived in good condition - using those bottles really helps keep them from getting squished. Had to get one of those 3-in-1 hydrangeas for myself too! LOL! Not sure about the make up of it either, so guess we'll learn together. ;p My May-May s haven't bloomed yet this year, so maybe you can still get a bloom from that one. Both of the stonecrops will do great in sun & even a tiny piece laid in moist soil will root.
    That Helga mum likes sun - will do okay in most soils, but loves almost moist dirt. Last year it bloomed 1/2 cream & 1/2 almost yellow, with a slight pink tinge to the edges, so even though that IS the name for it, I make no promises what color you'll end up with - they were gorgeous though.

It's been in the 90s here and we haven't had much rain, so we've been breakin out the hose every other day, at least - but I am getting some great blooms this week with the heat.

Anita, a bear? Wow! Be careful!!

Y'all have a great day,
    Susann

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Hi, Susann -
    I hope you found the other message in the July section. LOL
    Anyway, I think all the plants will make it. It was 9 pm last evening before I could pot them up, but I made sure to get them in pots yesterday. They are in the garage for a day or two to try to settle in. Next they will go outside in the shade and then I'll gradually let the sun lovers get more sun. It's a strain for any of the plants to keep going in the hot sunny weather we are having. Yes, we will have to compare notes on what the red, white, and blue hydrangea does. I wonder if it's grafted? Didn't check it out carefully yet. When I saw the red, white, and blue I wondered if there were three in there and I needed to separate them. Luckily, it was so late that I didn't even try...
    Now for a better description of the second box: I got various flags (from flags to decorate with to a flag magnet and key chain), some things have Nevada on them so I love things that reflect other areas and that is great, fruit punch, seeds, and a red, white, and blue cookbook (normally we have loads of blueberries in the summer so I am always looking for blueberry recipes - this year the late frost got them. No blueberries at all - sure will miss them - but this will be wonderful for future years!) Also there were magazines, garden gloves, a welcome sign, notepaper, a candle that smells great, a horse shaped pen (never saw one like it), a windchime, Rootone, and a retratable Sharpie marker... had never seen those before either! I may not have remembered all of it, but let me tell you that box was full!
    Thank you so much, Susann. You have showered me with things - it's like Christmas ... oh, but that is the theme for the July swap... LOL
    Jeanne

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

IT WAS A FAIRY TALE...i forgot to state that in the post subject. no man trouble here - just temperature trouble, damaging storms and not enough "normal" rain. i need to get outside and work the yard/gardens, but that isn't happening at all...it's been killer heat.

anita, i'm sorry to hear about your bear trouble. get a gun.

everyone has received such wonderful boxes this month. what a wonderfully, generous group of gardeners this particular group is - and so creative. i love the themes.

maryanne

• dizzydaffodil
    16 years ago

Kim, I hope your hostess gift arrived intact. :)

Jeanne, I'm pleased that you're pleased! LOL! That recipe book sure has some yummy recipes in there - too bad you didn't have a bumper crop this year. :(

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This will be a sort of long post........I have been without cable TV or Internet since 6:00 yesterday afternoon. The storm knocked out something in one of those little green boxes on the side of the road. They got that replaced around 1 but the internet still didnt work so that just got fixed like 10 mins ago! lol

First - dizzy you will have to tell me how you use bottles to send plants! I would love any ideas that may help ship seedlings. Your hostess box arrived yesterday...... packed with lots of goodies! thank you so much! it had a red white and blue lei, a red white and blue with stars beachball, american note cards, flag key chain, red thing to go on keychain that has little scissors etc like a mini swiss army knife, two colorful butterfly appliques, an adorable blue pen with a teddy on top, two red flower suckers, a calculator and pen set that is a perfect fit for my pocket book! ty! i need one so much! and a wonderful wall plaque that reminds me of a shadow box and that has a star spangled banner verse and a silver flag. Seeds for crimson clover, dames rocket, and red poppy. WOW what alot of goodies ty so much!

Sandlapper - I am in upper spartanburg county - yesterdays storm hit us hard and then totally bypassed gaffney sc which is like right up the road.... from downtown chesnee to downtown gaffney is 10 miles...... Where i live is near rutherford county (NC)-- and i am only 4 miles from the cherokee county line (SC)....... I love the rain......although my basement is horrible right now.......I can definately do without the thunder, lightening, and wind.

Maryanne - so glad you liked your box! I thought the citronella candles in red white and blue buckets was neat!
    The things I was looking for that actually seemed to be missnig was the red gerbera and the keychain..... found them at the same time and said oooo thats it! lol.......
    and Maryanne!!!!! OMG a bug!!!!!!!- sorry......must have been Rex's roommate lol!!!!!!! and i rinsed all of those off with the hose before i packed them! and then left them outside a bit to dry so the leaves werent too wet. Geez!

ANd last but not least- final question........

******************************************** TRIVIA ********************************************

Marilyn Monroe was born on June 1, 1926. What was her birth name?

I just love these....... I got a pack for myself also.... am going to poke them in some of my planters on the deck! They are citronella!

{{gwi:1278000}}

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Hi Ladies.Looks like you all are having a wonderful time with Kimberlys swap.Great Job Kim. I loved the theme you chose : ))
    I gotta tell you all,I am having major withdrawals sitting out 2 swaps in a row but the good news is I am finally getting back to my old self.YES!! Hmmm I don't know for sure if that is all that great of news LOL.That means I will need to really start cracking to get all the weeds out of my garden.They have taken over.It will feel really good to slowly get it all pretty again.I am hoping I can enlist the help of a few of my neighbors.They offered to do it while I was down but you know how that goes.I wanted to make sure and be out there before anything was done because..Yes... I was afraid they would pull out good plants along with weeds like Hubby always does.Heaven forbid I let him get a weed wacker in his hands!I am sure more than a few of you can relate to that.Oh I am Really looking forward to July and being back in the swap.
    Well heck I guess I have blabbed enough.Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone and i end up writing a book.Hope you all have a Great Weekend!
    Nancy.

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Kim,
    How about Norma Jeane Mortenson :)Anita

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nancy - Nice to hear from you! Glad things are getting better!

Anita - That is Correct! Now hoping they get there in time for the Fourth! Will scoot to the post office shortly!

Maryanne - the daylily i sent - i just usually refer to it as Irene lol my grandmothers name.... i keep checking daylily sites and am not sure what it is....... I know my grandmother had it for over 18 years. because she always had daylilies. I would say she had it at least since 1983 if not before then at her other house......

Carol - I havent seen where your swap box arrived for this month. did you receive it?

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anita.........got the trivia gift in the mail around 1130. I sent with DC and priority to get it there before wednesday!
    lol
    DC # is 0306 1070 0001 9492 9900

I have been tryin to dry out my basement. Well its not exactly a basement. you cant get there from inside the house. and it still has a dirt floor. but if we re-waterproof the cinderblocks and put down cement it will be same as basement.
    I have sunlamps and things down there for some of my pain in the butt plants, and starts and cuttings. My house is i think like 1600 sq foot and the basement is the same. ive taken the whole back wall (front of the house) for my potting nad plants. it is MUDDY and SOAKED down there. No thunderstorms are forecast for tomorrow. but are for today. SO tomorrow i will be pulling out my soil, pots, etc all but my potting table and spraying with bleach water and bugspray. blah i hate that.
    It is so wet I am losing cuttings and plants. So most are out now. even with a sunlamp, one of those hallide lamps and 2 fans its not helping. So I have a busy time next few days. wish there were WINDOWS lol......only a backdoor and vents.

THANK YOU ALL FOR PLAYING IN THIS MONTHS SWAP! HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT AS MUCH AS I DID!!
    SEE YOU ON THE BOARD AND IN THE MAIL!

Remy - Hostess gift arrived. TY so much for the tablecloth! Was just telling DH thursday I needed to get one today or tomorrow! I love it! a pack of Buffalo Lemonade! I will definately be trying this! Bet it will be awesome on those hot humid days we have here! and i LOVE the maple syrup and bottle! You cant find it here (not REAL maple lol beautiful color! and never such cute little bottles!-going to put it on my kitchen shelf where no one will get into it lol.... although i probably cant resist it for long lol) ty so much for such a great gift.

Anita - hostess gift also arrived today... ooooo goodie goodie gumdrop! Houseplant cuttings of Christmas Cactus (mom has my grandmothers. She just repotted it so i didnt want to take any from it. ty so much i love these!) green spider plant, varigated spider plant, pencil cactus and purple wandering jew! TYTY am well on my way to getting built back up. now for them to just grow in! lol TY so much! I am off to the kitchen to pot them up (DH will have a fit if i get dirt in the sink! lol)

ANITA btw - found something cute yesterday-thought of you and picked it up - BUT i am going to save it for when I get you in a future swap!

ONE MORE TRIVIA QUESTION.........JUST FOR FUN!!

True or false? The red bell pepper was proven nonpoisonous on June 28, 1820.

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I received a great box from Anita today lots of bulbs
    6 tuberose, 15 ssparaxis, 20 red glads, 10 brodiae, 15 mexican shell flower, 5 wine & roses glads, 5 winter snow, 5 blue, 15 blue anemones, a ladys slipper a brug cutting that didn't travel well a journal and a warrior horn which is an indian carved in an antler, matches my wolf theme love it all. you did send to my old address new one is 242 169th st e spanaway wa 98387. so it was forwarded brug didn't like that. thankyou Anita. hugs carol

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I'm glad you liked the maple syrup. I was thinking it might be a bit unusual down your way.

I'm going to take a stab at the trivia(I did not google) and say that it is a yes. Though I think I remember a story about tomatoes and someone eating one in the early 1800's to prove he would not die.

Speaking of tomatoes. A very odd thing happened to me other other day. I sent Maryanne a link to the story(on an unmentionable site), but maybe you all would enjoy it too.

I got home from work this evening, and I went to sit down to eat and see that tomato seeds from Yugoslavia(can't remember which new part) are on the table. A gentleman originally from there that works with my husband went back for a visit. My husband asked him to bring back tomatoes for me in the store pkgs. from there. So I got 3 packs of St. Pierre, a French tomato?(if you about this tomato, please give me some info,) in the original pkgs. from there. Ok, that is not that weird. Hold on it does get wierder.
    Now I have just picked up these pkgs., and I'm examining the foreign words, and the door bell rings. My husband answers and then he is yelling for me, and I'm annoyed because I just want to look and eat! There is a guy at the door wanting to know where we purchased our new apple tree and how much did it cost.(Our old one died in the local freak October snow storm.) It is grafted with a few antique varieties. My husband doesn't remember the mail order company. I tell him and then he is asking if I have a catalog, so I get up and go look for one, and I finally got to the door.
    There are actually 2 men, one about 40, one about 70. The younger man is apologizing for the older man who can't speak much English. The older man is pointing at the apple pictures saying with a thick accent, "Yes, yes." as if to say that he does want a tree like mine. He must of made the younger guy stop. My husband say to the younger man, "Where is he from? Yugoslavia?" To which the older man says one of the new parts of Yugoslavia. Then I say, "I just got tomato seed from there!" The older man says, "tomatoes?". Then the young man says, "Don't get him started on tomatoes." I went back in the house and got a pack of the St. Pierres, and hand it to the older man. He smiled and said the word Paradajz(tomato?) from the pkg. The younger guy says the older man has a huge vegetable garden. I then point telling the older man I have a garden in the back. He looked like a happy little kid, and just starts heading back! So we took a garden tour.
    We came back out front and the younger man thanked us and told the older man to give the seed pkg. back to me. I told him no, to keep it. Then they left.
    When we got back inside, my husband looks at me and says, "How weird was that? What are the chance of that happening?"

Remy

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Remy......... It was tomatoes! not the bell peppper - and I love tomatoes so I am so glad someone tried them to see if they were poisonous!

and Yugoslavian tomatoes and a Yugoslavian visitor in the same day! what a cool coincidence!

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Anita-DH says he would love to get that bear for you. He lives and breathes that bear hunting.

Remy-What a story thanks for sharing. I'm sure glad they found out tomatoes were not poisonous I sure do like them. I planted so many this year I'm sure I will have to give half of them away.

Shirley