SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yardenman

The seedlings are going into dirt

yardenman
16 years ago

Well, the soil temp in the framed beds is 60 at 6" deep, the seedlings have gotten 5 days of gradual exposure to sunlight (one extra hour per day), they look stocky and healthy, the weather is predicted to warm for several days.

They are going into the dirt! We are on our way for the season... I am growing Suddith Brandywine, Caspian Pink, Cherokee Purple, Prudens Purple, Aunt Gerties Gold, and Tennessee Britches. The last 2 are new to me. My seedlings are home-grown, and about 10" tall with 4 (some 5) pairs of leaves. I will plant them 6" deep.

Also growing Black Cherry from a hanging 5 gallon pot.

This year I'm going to artificially pollinate some blossoms, isolate and mark them, and save the seeds of each (following the detailed instructions from here).

I plan to foliar spray (kelp meal) biweekly, desucker after 3rd stem, in cages, and I'll use red plastic on the ground. I've dug in 3 inches of good compost in good friable soil plus "some" 2-6-6 organic fertilizer. I will also give them a spray of "soap-shield" every other week (between foliar sprays). I have 3 separate sprayers for (organic) insecticides, foliar, and herbicides.

I'm placing a sheet of plywood painted bright white behind them to increase light exposure (I get only 6 hours sunlight at this best spot).

I am growing a 2nd set of seedlings to put out in late May (backups).

I intend to weave wandering tomato branches back into the cage. If I'm missing anything, let me know.

Wish me luck. LOL!

Comments (9)