SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Denton County Plant Swap

melvalena
12 years ago

In Case you're wondering, Yes we're on!!

No date has been set.

It depends on how the spring weather goes and how fast our gardens wake up.

Looks like it will be sometime between the end of April and Mid May on a Sunday afternoon so we can avoid the Saturday soccer crowd.

More info coming soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Last year's spring swap thread

Comments (121)

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

She can have yours.. they're already potted up for her. :)
    I bet they have her name on them already!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

It does, but it really doesn't matter if you guys already had something worked out. As long as she gets one.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: 2014 Denton County Spring Plant Swap

Q

Comments (61)
    Such a fun swap. Thank you Gail and Gretchen for organizing this, and thank you to everyone for your generosity. Besides the awesome plants I brought home, I also love the handmade gardening apron, the handmade scarf and other non plant gifts. Dan and I even brought home an original drawing by Grace.
    ...See More

HAVE: Denton County Swap

Q

Comments (62)
    What a great swap, it was good seeing old friends & meeting new friends. We were hoping to off load (hehe) more stuff & we ended up coming home with the same amount after getting our wonderful new plants. Thank You to all that swaped with us - now to free cycle the rest. Hope to see you in the fall. Gail & Carrie you did a fabulous job!! Debbie
    ...See More

WANTED: Kudos to Rebecca

Q

Comments (10)
    Yeah I had a flat tire. I had no trouble finding someone to help me. As he was changing the tire, he but ran into trouble when one of the lug nuts was the locking kind. I had no idea.. I never did get a key to it. But by the end of the day I got it all worked out, new locking lug nuts with the key, and a new tire. The Swap was still totally awesome and I learned something new.
    ...See More

Garden Clubs in Denton County

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Jayne! I live just across 407 from you, close to Marcus High School. In my quest to find and hook up with other Denton County Gardeners I've just set up a Meet Up group to see if that helps. Since last Friday 3 people have joined who didn't know about this forum and I just got an email from a 4th who is joining the group. I've done no promotion for this group. Why don't you join us? There are 2 meet ups planned right now. One of which is the Plant Swap on Sunday that Carrie mentioned, which is very close to you. I will continue to use Texas Garden Web and use the meet up group for the more local or private gatherings or outings. Here is a link that might be useful: Denton County Gardening Meet Up Group
    ...See More
  • freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Melvalena ~
    I missed the fall aster in your list. Can you spare me one? Is that the same planted in the hellstrip across from the castle house @ Greenridge & Bethel School? If I get any more plants from you, I'll owe you one of my children.

Ruthz ~
    How yellow vs cream are the Sunny Knockouts?

Did someone say Garden Hop????

2 pallets & mucho cinderblocks still waiting for a good home. I'm dismantling my compost pile b/c my compressed L2/3 won't let me work it anymore.

~ freshair

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I may be interested in the cinder blocks..........need to ask hubby first.

• weldontx
    11 years ago

freshair. Take a look at my list. I'd be glad to trade for cinder blocks. Use them for raised rain barrels.
    ruthz - if you have one available, I'd be interested in a firespike.

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Weldon & Carrie ~

I have 28 (8"x8"x16") cinderblocks -- depending on how many y'all need, I can help both of you. Also, I don't think I'll be able to get them in my van (unless you just want a couple), so you'll need to follow me home to pick them up or swing by later on -- I'm in Coppell.

Honestly, Weldon, no trade is necessary. If y'all don't take them, I'll just post them on CL for free.

~ Amy

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amy,
    its been so long since I've been in the neighborhood so I can't say for sure what is planted at that house but here's a photo of some from Carrie's house. You can click on this one to see it a bit bigger.

These are photos of the plants Weldon has:

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Amy, last year we didn't have a fall plant swap. The summer was so brutal we were lucky anything survived much less multiplied! Plants were just too stressed by then to even think about dividing them.

So we had a Garden Hop instead. It was fun.
    We visited 4 Denton County people's gardens and had dinner at my place.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Oh my, those daylilies are gorgeous............take a look at my list, Weldon, and tell me what you want in exchange for one of each of them.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

freshair, the Sunny Knockout blooms out yellow, then turns cream but the overall look is more cream
    Weldon - I put your name on one of the Firespikes

• weldontx
    11 years ago

Carrie, The New Paradigm has rust so I will not bring it. My seedlings (2011 seeds planted last Sept. so will not bloom until next year) do not have rust. They are at the back of the house. I will bring some seedlings and let you have first pick!
    Thanks ruthz for the firespike.
    Gail, is there an electrical plug at the pavillion?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Weldon there is a plug at the pavilion. I hope it is working. I'm pretty sure it did last time.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Thanks, Weldon.............what would you like from me??

• nana_7b
    11 years ago

Here is my list;

HAVES

1 Red oak (about 3ft red fall color)
    1 Bald cypress (3rd year about 4ft tall)
    4 small Pink skullcap
    4 small Rock rose
    1 Stonecrop - Sedum reflexum
    4 small John Fannik phlox
    2 Calamondin lime seedlings about a year old
    2 Tropical Guava seedlings - year and a half old
    1 Curry leaf plant
    2 small Aloe Vera

I can dig and bring the following;
    Dwarf Nandina
    Blue mist flower
    Salvia 'Henry Duelberg'

Celete fig cuttings

WANTS

Fig cuttings/plants from good tasting fig trees (NOT Celeste)
    Plastic pots 1 gallon or larger
    Spear mint

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Nana, are you saying you want mint? I have a lot of chocolate mint.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Melva, if you still have salvia greggii to share, I'd like one. One of mine has partly died back and I don't know why. I'm going to cut it back but would like an extra to replace it if necessary...and put elsewhere if not.

Carrie, I can come dig some wooly stemodia in May if you don't have the time/inclination to do it by Sunday. If you have extra chocolate mint, I'd love to try some cuttings and see if I can keep it alive this time. Every time I buy it it seems to die on me. If you want another redbud, I have another seedling...or if anyone else wants a redbud, let me know!

My mint's not coming back as quickly as I'd expected, but I can still pot up the perilla if someone wants it. And if anyone wants an heirloom purple iris or a purple/black iris from Wallyworld, let me know. Carrie, just let me know how many you want. A number of them bloomed this year, so they should transplant well and bloom next spring for you.

If you want something from me, let me know so I can dig it up.

I'd love some mist flower, I love blues and keep looking to add more to the garden.

Nana, I have a fig tree/bush and would gladly give you a cutting, but I don't know how tasty it is. I loved figs when I was a kid, but I can't get excited about this one. My neighbor, on the other hand, picks most of my figs and his wife makes them into a jelly/jam/preserve. It may be that my tastes changed in the last XX years.

• baaska
    11 years ago

Hello all,

My name is Baaska. I am new to gardening (and really enjoying it!!!) and I am so glad I found such a lively and passionate community of gardeners!!! This will my first time to plant swapping event.

So here is my list:

I have:

1. One type of a groundcover plant (3 rooted cuttings) that I do not know the name of. I do not nkow

2. Periwinkle (3 rooted cuttings)

3. Can bring asian jasmine cuttings if interested

4. Can bring honeysuckle cuttings if interested

5. I will bring soaps, lotions, good chocolate, and ethnic arts.

I'll take any of the following:

Double knock out roses, clematis, dwarf mondo grass, blue mist (would like to form a hedge on the side of my house), salvia, tulips, red robin/photinia, or any evergreen shrub that grows 4-5 feet tall.

I look forward to meeting you all!

~Baaska

• baaska
    11 years ago

Re: The groundcover that I did not know its name.
    I just found out! It is wintercreeper! I have three rooted cuttings sitting in water (and doing well).

Oh yes, I can also bring english ivy cuttings too, if anyone is interested.

• Gretchen W.
    11 years ago

Finally can say what I have and it isn't much.

Butterfly bush - think there is 4 growing. Gail do you want 2 of them? or all of them.

Oak tree seedlings lots of them.

1 tree of what I don't know but Carrie can identify.

I wish I had more to offer to many irons in the fire.

On a happier note my Garden Shed will be completed today!!!

I hope they come cause I had problems with the company I hired.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Sarita, digging in May will be great ......just let me know when and you can get the blue mist flower and mint at that time. I am through digging for this swap ..cut it off Wednesday.

• Jayne61
    11 years ago

I'm new to this ... and found it completely over whelming with all the names of plants etc , but it sounds wonderful . again like some of the others I don't have anything to swop this year but I will be there !

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome all you new posters! This is going to be so much fun!
    Be sure to label all your plants so everyone knows what they are getting.
    Bring a folding table if you have one.. table space is very limited at the pavilion.

Gretchen, 2 butterfly bushes will be fine. I hope your shed gets all finished today!

Sarita, I'll put your name on one of the salvia greggii.

Nana, I have a medium sized pot of mint. I have no idea why, and I'm not sure what kind it is but it just might be spearmint. I smells like it to me.
    I think I bought it for using in iced tea then never did.
    I'll put your name on it.

I have 2 or 3 blue mist that I will dig up and divide for people. Should be plenty for those who want to get a start of it. It doesn't take much to get a good stand of it in time for the fall migration.

• weldontx
    11 years ago

Nana, I have 2 spearmint already potted and will bring them for you or who ever else might want them.
    Carrie, I'm interested in the wooly stemodia and/or the verbena on a stick. I also have a fan of the daylily Palo Duro Canyon for you.

• debbiedo7
    11 years ago

**(copied from other post)**
    Weldon I'll hook you up with some Stella de Orro & the unknown oak, Yes Yes Yes to the Plumaria, if no one is asking for the 2nc one I know that Donna would like it!!!!!! Also interested in the comphrena - Strawberry Fields, also any extra daylillies.

Donna or I'm looking for Dark Blue Salvia, Bearded Irises, and well as plant addicts a multitude of other stuff. HAHA

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahh.,.. sorry Debbiedo.. I see you already posted over here!

I was going to post that unless someone wanted those plumaria I wasn't going to even bring them.. glad you spoke up.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Got you down for both of those, Weldon...........the stemodia will be bare root..............no time to pot tomorrow. It will be fine like that though.

• baaska
    11 years ago

Hi Melvalena,

Is it too late to request:
    1. one or two of your Golden Celebration roses,
    2. blue salvia, and
    3. plumeria?

Would you be interested in ground covers and climbers (english ivy, wintercreeper, honeysuckle, periwinkle)? Some are rooted cuttings in water, some will be just cuttings in water (with root hormone)? I am new to gardening, so I apologize for not having much to swap with you.

~Baaska

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Baaska,
    You are welcome to the roses. We will have to arrange a time for you to come and help dig them up.
    They aren't huge, but I won't have time to dig them up before the swap. They will need to be cut back before we dig them up. It won't take too long to do that.

I will bring some blue salvia and some plumaria for you as well. They will not be potted up but it will be easy for you to plant them.

You do not need to swap me anything for them. I am happy to pass them on to someone who wants them. :)

Do you live close to where the swap is being held?

• Gretchen W.
    11 years ago

I am looking for Vitex for my friend Travis. So if anyone has this plant it would be greatly appreciated.

I think this is going to be a good turn-out and I look forward to meeting everyone.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I have Vitex seed I can bring, but the seedling won't start showing up until it gets a little hotter.

• weldontx
    11 years ago

Please remember the small decorative pots, or at least small pots that can be "dressed up"; ribbon and clear-colored or foil paper. These are for nursing home "gifts" and prizes.
    I supply the plants and one of my wife's caregivers dresses up the pots and takes them to a nursing home to be enjoyed.

• nana_7b
    11 years ago

Carrie, I would love to try your chocolate mint. No need to pot just bare root is fine. Thank you!

tx_ag do you know the variety of fig you have? What color/size is the ripe fruit?

Melvalena, I'd like your mint too. Thank you!

Weldon, I would like one of your mints too. Also, your Thyme and G. Oregano. Thank you!

I have a recipe that uses mint that I like and too much cant hurt!

Gretchen, I have a volunteer Vitex next to my tree that I can bring you. It will be bare root though.

Let me know if you all are interested in anything on my HAVES list.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Nana, I have no idea what variety it is, it came with the house. It's a tall and wide open bush, taller than the electrical lines coming to the house and about as wide. The figs are an "average" size, I guess, and I think turn kind of brownish when they're ripe? I wasn't able to get out to look at them last year and my neighbor picks them for his wife to make into jam/jelly for him. I'll keep an eye on them this year and let you know, if you're willing to wait for the cuttings.

• baaska
    11 years ago

Thank you, Melvalena! I can help dig them up. I live in Denton.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Sarita, that sounds like a brown turkey fig......is the fruit small and sweet? That is absolutely my favorite fig.
    Nana, since you don't have an email address listed, why don't you shoot me one?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Baaska,

please send me an email, click on my name to find my address.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Carrie, they're not real small but I guess they're sweet. I tried one almost 8 years ago and realized that I no longer care for figs. I guess they're about the size of a large egg?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

It isn't the brown turkey if it is that large.......they are small figs.

• Gretchen W.
    11 years ago

Thanks for the Vitex.
    Baaka I do have salvia that I can dig up.
    Gail I am feeling much better today. Food poisoning was bad but I had it mild compared to my son.

Adding to the haves list: shasta daisy.
    My garden shed is completed. My husband called and made a dispute with the credit card company and all of a sudden we were on the list to get it done.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you're up and at 'em today! YEAHHHH for your shed being completed!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

i would love a shasta daisey, Gretchen. Didn't know you were ill, but glad to know you are better.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In case anyone has a problem finding the place here's my cell phone number:

469-438-7002

Don't forget to scroll back up and re read 3rd and 4th posts. They list all the things you need to bring or do.

I sure hope someone plans on taking some pictures!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

See Teri's post in discussions.

• davideo66
    11 years ago

Wow! The plant swap was so much fun. I really enjoyed getting to meet all of you and learn more about gardening.
    Thank you Gail, Carrie, Weldon, Ruvan, Gretchen, Bob, Baaska and anybody's name I've forgotten. Thanks for the plants, the advice and most of all, giving me such a warm welcome for my first plant swap.

Gail, I'll contact you about a planting happy hour party at my house soon.

Carrie, I'll get in touch with you some time this week to see about getting some donkey-doo.

Cheers to gardening!

David

• carrie751
    11 years ago

You are very welcome, David, and thanks to you for all your help. Looking forward to seeing you again.
    It was a great swap, and really great to see old friends and meet new ones.............this is what makes swaps so specail.

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

It was great to finally put faces to some of the GW names I chat with, & I came home with a bazillion times more than I brought . . . y'all were incredibly generous!

Now to find a home for each of these lovelies . . .

~ freshair / Amy

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had such a blast at the swap, only sorry I didn't get to actually meet or talk with everyone! I think a few escaped that. :)

I was especially glad to see the newbies and some old gardening friends.
    I learned that Nana and I were at our first Plant Swap like 10 years ago, it was held at the Lewisville School District Outdoor Learning Center, it was also about the same time I met Carrie, I think.

I went home with less than I took, which was my goal...Still came back with more than I had planned.

Pictures will be posted in the Gallery when I get my hands on them. My friend Kelly took 75 photos so I'll have to go through them and pick the best ones to post.

Thank You everyone! Its you guys who make it such a good swap!

OK get your goodies planted and plan your propagation for the Fall Swap.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photos my friend Kelly took are posted!
    There's a thread in the gallery with a link
    or you can click below.

If anyone else has photos you'd like me to post on the meet up groups site, just let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Denton County Gardening Meet Up Group Photos

• mistidawn3
    11 years ago

Been a while but saw this post and could not believe the swap was so close! Hope everyone had fun. Miss ya'll

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yes, we had fun. Sorry you didn't find us in time to join in.
    Keep an eye on this forum and the meet up site for future swaps or garden hops.

Sponsored