SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aninocentangel

Tomato Blossoms Malformed? (pics)

aninocentangel
16 years ago

Hello. This is my first time posting to this forum, so please forgive any mistakes. It's also my first garden in many years.

Tonight my son and I were mulching the veggies and I checked the tomatoes to see if the blossoms had survived his over-exuberance. Happily they appeared to have survived fine, I noticed that two have even begun opening. However, I've never seen tomato blossoms that look like these. Two of my plants each have one, although I only took pictures of one flower. Sorry for the poor picture quality, it was very overcast and I was using my cell phone.

To describe, the blossoms do not have the typical conical stamen with a fringe of large petals that makes the star shaped tomato blossom that I'm accustomed to seeing. They are still in the process of opening, but they resemble a sunflower, or a dandelion that doesn't have any center and the pocked base is exposed. They have a textured center, with a fringe of small tubular petals.

As you can see, from a profile it appears to only have calyces and no other structures.

The plants have full sun, are in a new, raised bed with approx 1/2 peat and composted manure, plus a bit of vermiculite for drainage and lime for the pH. They have not been fertilized, and have regular irrigation.

The variety is Red Brandywine (whatever strain Bonnie's grows) and they were purchased as transplants about 6 weeks ago. Their total height from original soil level would now be approximately 20", this morning they were about 10" tall, after mulching they're back down to 6-7 inches. These are their first flowers.

I know that tomato plant characteristics can differ from variety to variety, but I hadn't heard that the blossoms differed, so I'm wondering what's going on. Are these early flowers sterile, are they mutants, do some varieties have daisy-ish flowers, or is this just a bit of self expression before they settle down and begin churning out the real deal?

Assistance would be lovely, and very appreciated. Thank you!

Enjay

PS

I did search quite a bit to see if I could find any mention of odd tomato flowers, which lead to other interesting posts, and threads, and links, and, well, I'm finally getting around to posting, 5 hours later! LOL

Comments (4)