SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Northern Cal Bailey's Mango update..and proto fruit pics

As you can see the fruiting inflourescence is much shorter than most var. It could be that developing sinc ethe end of Jan in temps that I would say ave. 62-64H and about 45-48L might have caused that -I have nothing to compare too.

There are three of these on a near 7' tree.

Full size

Comments (3)

• mangodog
    13 years ago

They look short and pugnacious, Stan....is this a recent picture.....if so, they sure bloom late, and is this potted or inground????

keep us posted how this one does this year....I think Bailey's is a nice mango from what I've heard....

mangoD

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its potted. Just a tall variety that refuses to branch horizontal. I tried last year tip pruning..nada. It sent out more vertical shoots. Right now its in a great spot for warm,but the clay soil needs to be amended big time-for a mango- or a raised bed to add winter soil warmth and drainage...this is where that Florida and soucal/Arizona sandy soil really has a huge advantage.
    It seems to have set heavily-I'm used to that one in a hundred fruit set that Avocado's have here,but of course the grow into huge tree's with more than enough fruit.
    If I can get two good growth flushs..I should get fruit.
    Also M.D.,this is as early as they come for the bay area..it was forming flower buds in Jan. If it does what my Manila did..ripe fruit by the end of June-Sept.
    Let's just see...

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Those short inflorescences are not characteristics of Bailey's Marvel....at least not on mine here in Florida. The cold may have had somewhat of a stumping effect. Fruit might set regardless.....so hang in there.

Harry

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County