SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bvgardener

Hey Guys - I'm throwing in the towel......

BVGardener
13 years ago

I'm done folks. You have read my post about the leaf distortions and now with what I saw related to that on all of my plants this afternoon, I've come to a decision.

I thought about this back in 2009 when I was going through this same thing with the leaf and fruit distortions on virtually all plants. Back then, it was somewhat less of an issue because of when my plants started showing signs which was much later in the season. This allowed me to get a decent harvest. But even then I was thinking about the loss which was still significant.

Fast forward to 2010. Same distortions but much earlier in the season - early April. Of course ultimately it did not matter as the hail storm took care of those plants.

But now here we are in 2011 and I did not even come close to making it out of March and the leaf distortions were there. When I came home this evening, I walked out to the garden to observe all of the fruit distorted. All of the time spent moving the garden and preparing it. Setting it all up has come to naught.

Whether this is CMV or herbide, it is not practicle and for all intents and purposes, not possible to prevent. If this is herbicide drift, I can't control what the neighbors do and besides, the soil is already contaminated or will be recontaminated on a seasonal basis. If it's CMV, that can't be controlled either because it's primarily transmitted by aphids and from a practical standpoint, those can't be controlled either. Spraying for aphids will not work....it's just not an effective solution.

Beyond that, I'm not going to feed my family or anyone else herbicide laced tomatoes if thats what it turns out to be. Either way I'm in a situation where I can't win so it's time to call it a day. I've battled many issues over the years: nematodes - I won that battle. TSWV - it's never been a real issue and typically only affected one or two fruit per season. But in regards to herbicide or CMV, I'm not going to grow numerous plants each year while holding my breath that the plants will not once again become infected and ruin the whole crop.

So with that said, I'm moving on from gardening. It's a shame when you think about the time and money spent - the hundreds and hundreds of plants that I have grown. But it is what it is.

I may post here again in the future with a large seed offer to distribute my seed inventory which is quite significant.

Anyway, it's time to turn in.

Good Night,

Jay

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals