SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdinthepalm

Anyone growing Bouvardia ternifolia??

birdinthepalm
18 years ago

I just noticed last summer after adding a hummingbird feeder, that though I had trouble getting a hummingbird to visit the feeder, it found my bright red Bouvardia ternifolia very appealing, and that was just another new plus to be added after many years of having the same plant from a small cutting I bought from Logees perhaps ten years ago. One source said they're best treated as annuals since they're short lived??? Not from my experience, and though it's undergone some serious abuse and neglect almost every winter indoors and some very brutal pruning to remove the weak spindly growth it often makes in the winter, when it's relegated to sometimes gloomy locations, it always bounces back with the incresing sun in late spring and especially when moved back outdoors to a sunny location. It can sometimes be a bit late reflowering , but aferwards will flower almost non-stop for months as long as temperatures are warm. It's even trying to keep flowering indoors much later this year despite not getting much sun on our many overcast and dark days this fall. Anyway, I finally got three new "insurance' cuttings to root after a long over two month rooting time, though fall isn't the best time to root them, so now I can add more to the lonely one I've had for years, and the hummingbirds will be thrilled next year.

Anyone else growing them? The leaves are on the "bland" side being not the prettiest leaves I've seen and sort of a pale green to bluish green , but you can't beat the intense red of the flowers, and the reblooming.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals