SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Sunworshiper Yard Update 5/17/2011

sun_worshiper
13 years ago

Here are a few shots of my baby fruit trees growing in. On another thread we had been discussing companion plantings. So I'd be happy to discuss that here too if anyone is interested.

Dwarf Brazilian Banana:

Cogshall putting on good growth (pots in the background have passionfruit seedlings getting started):

Ice Cream Banana:

Longer view showing bananas, peach and lemon.

I've used a lot of bulbs around my fruit trees. Close up of narcissus foliage fading away and being replaced by pineapple lily.

Lemon Tree:

Manilita Mango I pugged a few weeks ago has responded really well. It is underplanted with perennial peanut.

There are two mango trees on the ends of this bed. Too small too see almost, but I put them in the same bed as the hong kong orchid tree (center), because it is a water hog and will soak up all the extra sprinkler water.

Here's a close up of the mangos - an Angie:

And a Pickering:

Ponkan Tangerine - underplanted with Purple Queen.

I like ornamental grasses a lot and they've been great as fruit tree companions:

I put society garlic around some of my fruit trees because it has low fertilizer needs and that garlic smell helps deter pests. Plus it attracts butterflies:

The lychee is putting out lots of nice new growth:

Underplanting my Atemoya with Strawberries has worked pretty well. The cold protection I gave the tree also covered the berries, so I has strawberries from December until now.

That's the update for now.

Comments (16)