SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cattman_gw

rollinia, soncoya seedlings

cattman
11 years ago

I will soon have some seeds arriving for "Soncoya" -- annona purpurea (I think it's also known as the ilama). I have ordered these before, and also "Biriba" -- rollinia deliciosa -- at least twice.

Every time I plant these seeds I get good germination, but the babies seem to just fade away over weeks or months before they can get very large.

I've germinated many, many kinds of tropical trees and grown them up to maturity, but I've basically always been working with variants of the same potting ingredients: milled peat, perlite, and sand, adjusting the perlite and sand higher or lower depending on how critical drainage is.

I've got a seedling atemoya tree here that I raised in Atlanta (in a pot) before a good 8 years before moving to Florida, and last year that tree bore me a bumper crop of fruits. My grafted kampong mauve purchase is doing well. Even my young soursop tree -- purchased from a vendor -- is in its third year here now and actually bloomed late last year.

Can anyone give me some clues on raising seedling soncoya or biriba? Do they need sweet soil, which I'm ruining with the peat-based mix? Like to be kept wet, and I'm ruining the mix with too much sand? Can they handle South Florida sun right away, and I'm just starving them for light by keeping them in the shade? T.I.A. (thanks in advance!)

Comments (6)