SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cleo88_gw

Another 'funny and interesting' story

cleo88
15 years ago

In 2007 we had an addition put on our house, which necessitated replacing our septic tank in May. (Perhaps some of you can see where this is going...). Part of the tank shattered as they removed it, and they didn't do a great job of removing all the pieces of concrete. This grossed me out, so I raked all the little pieces of concrete into a pile and planned to ask the contractors to remove it. Then I forgot about it.

A month or so later, guess what I noticed growing out of the pile of rubble (which was in the shade, by the way)? Five tomato plants. I couldn't figure out how they got there, since my tomato garden was all the way across the yard. I figured maybe some animal carried a tomato there.

But then I read in The American Tomato (I think) that tomato seeds can survive both the trip through the body and the trip through sewage treatment plants, and then the light bulb went on - these plants were from seed that my family ATE! EEEEEWWWW!

Thank goodness even before I figure this out, I had no inclination to eat the fruit from these plants, since it was growing out of septic tank rubble.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery