SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

What is causing this on my mango trees?

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

First off, I want to say that I hope all of our Florida memebers made it thru this past winter with minimum damage(Nanci I know you were one of the most seriously affected by this winter! I hope your trees are recovering nicely!)

I know that this is not going to be easy sinceI cannot post any pictures right now. I still have yet to get my USB port fixed.

About a few weeks ago, I noticed that a branch on my 'Lancetilla' mango was dessicated. The branch itself was brownish/black colored. The leaves that were attached were new new leaves that had yet to mature. The leaves had also turned brown, and shriveled and dropped. I touched the branch that was dead and then further down on the main bark of the tree and it was sticky and also had patches of brown that was turning black.

Is this anthracnose or another type of fungus? I emailed Harry about a week ago and asked him about it. He had mailed me a bag of copper fungicide powder and I mixed 2 teaspoons in a 22 oz spray bottle and sprayed the entire tree. Before spraying, I used a towel and wrapped it around the soil inside the pot to protect the surface. I thought that I had read here before that you have to be carefull not to let the fungicide come into contact with the roots.

Did I approach treatment the right way? If so, how often would you guys recommend that I repeat this treatment.

My main concern is that I lose these trees. So far, it is just on my 'Carrie' and 'Lancetilla'. I did not find any on my 'Maha Chinook' but I sprayed it as a preventative. All 3 trees are in very close proximity to each other due tothe fact that I only have 2 600 watt HPS light.

For this reason, and the fact that I am going to need more growing space, I will be buying at least 2 more lights next year so if I have trees that are infected with any disease, I can isolate them from the others.

One more question. My 'Day' avocado also had severe die back and I am now wondering if it also could have been affected by this.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really am hoping to get this under control. This is the 1st year that I have ever had my mango trees look this good(up until this point) and I really am hoping to get them back to good health.

My 'Carrie' is flushing new growth and also small inflos. I have about 4 new branches growing on it.

The 'Lancetilla' is going thru growth flushes right now. I lost one nioce branch but I have a few more that are just starting to grow.

My 'Maha Chinook' is also going thru its 3rd growth flush sinceI got it in August of last year. The 1st growth flush was the largest but this happened outdoors under full sun. As of now, this tree has grown about 1ft since I got it. I am very proud of this tree. Even though I have said before that I had wished it would grow inflos, I know that it needs to grow larger to be able to produce fruit.

This spring once it goes outdoors, I will be repotting it.

Andrew

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville