SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
argus_gw

Anyone grow Jade Vines?

argus
18 years ago

I was wondering about Strongylodon macrobotrys or its red cousin Mucuna bennettii. Everything I read says these get 75 feet, but is it possible to grow it on a regular sized arbor and still have it bloom? How do you care for these plants. Will they do ok for me in a zone 23?

Thanks,

Robert

Comments (61)

• fluffygrue
    18 years ago

I love these plants - I plan on giving them a go once we have a bit more room (and a conservatory.) I get the impression they need a bit of nurturing to get established, and once they're happy they take off..

Hard to come by, though. :/
    Melanie

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I'd love one, too..if anyone knows where these are sold, please advise..Thanks, Toni

• Related Discussions

Anyone grow Jade Bush Bean?

Q

Comments (13)
    I've grown Jade. It's expensive but I don't know why. It's a very good bean. Best if you can them or eat them fresh. They are easy to germinate. The soil must be warm and moist. What I do is plant the seed, water the soil,then cover the ground over the seed with weed block or old carpet. This will keep the soil moist and help heat up the soil. Old carpet works better. Just plant the seed and put the carpet over where they are planted and water the carpet real good. After 5 to 7 days check to see if the seed started germinating. When you see the first seed sprout remove the carpet. The other see will be up in a day or two. Now there you go! That how I germinate hard to germinate seed. Works good for carrots and any small seed that is slow to germinate. Also keeps the soil moist. If you need more moisture just water the carpet. That way you don't wash the small seed like carrots away.
    ...See More

Anybody growing the Jade Vine?

Q

Comments (10)
    Mike, Well my baby is just 8 months old and probably won't bloom for another year, it is not much to look at now. Hester, didn't you see one in your backyard, haha? Crowley's Nursery. Yes they are expensive, they're not prohibitive. Crowley's had the red one too as well as all kinds of other beautiful vines, too many to mention. Writersblock, that is very encouraging and exactly the type of information I was looking for. So many talented gardeners push the envelope of growing tropical plants here and I'm hoping to do the same. It will probably end up in a greenhouse, but either way. Now I have two excuses to visit the east coast, Katkin ;-) If anybody has seen one of these elsewhere I'd love to hear it. Thanks, Darren
    ...See More

Does anyone grow Black Jade?

Q

Comments (3)
    I had Black Jade for about 3 years and just recently gave it away, primarily because I found a mini of similar dark red that I like better (Salute), and I have very limited garden space and have to make tough choices. Black Jade has both good and bad qualities. Strengths are its unique deep black/red coloring and excellent form. It's a top show mini. Mine had fair amount of bloom, but not great. It also blows to fully open very fast and burns in our hot sun. I definitely agree with the above advice to give it part shade. Mine did best when I gave it only morning sun. Salute, which I mentioned above, is just a shade lighter and has good form, though not as good as Black Jade. But its a much better garden rose in my experience. If you show minis or plan to, you picked a good one. Black Jade is one of the best red minis for show.
    ...See More

Anyone grow Jade Vines?

Q

Comments (9)
    LOL doooglas that's kind of you to say. Yes, the heliconia is Bihai "Chocolate Dancer". Most people would not be able to tell that from the quality of this photo. I built the greenhouse to mimic a botanical garden house, and to be able to grow things like the Jade Vine and the Mucunas and palms that I could otherwise never grow here. I have perhaps 400 orchids in the collection, I am very partial to minis, bulbos and cirrhos, and vandaceous. I also love aroids and lost count of the different species of anthuriums, philodendrons and others I have collected. I have been at this for over 20 years now. Palms are another love of mine and I have perhaps 100. Licualas I especially love, and have several different ones. Here are a few others: Salacca magnifica Pelagadoxa henryana Licuala mapu
    ...See More
  • argus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info! Being in an appartment right now, I think I'll wait a bit to tackle this monster. Plus the spot I was thinking of was probobly way too small. I put some aristolochias in there instead bringing my number of species to 8.
    Is there any pictures of what the foliage looks like? Since it doesn't flower well here, I wouldn't mind seeing what it would look like covering a wall or house.

Thanks,
    Robert

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

hi
    There is a magnificent specimen of Mucuna benettii growing at Fairchild gardens.Or at leat there used to be
    Katrina or Rita may have fixed that lol. It was growing in a tree and was massive . i was told that it must get quite large to flower well and is extremely cold sensitive. Another thing to watch for is there are several species in the family but they don't have the glorious flowers of bennettii.
    Searle bros. in Ft. Lauderdale and both the red and green.
    I've always wanted to get one but "massive" and "cold sensitve" and the price have contained me so far lol
    gary

• Lukmee
    18 years ago

Mucuna Benetii and strongylodon are very easy to reproduce by cuttings. , at our local plant market, is cost 3 to 4 USD !

I got flower after the first 18 to 24 months normally in november, the beginning of the cool season

Lukmee

• brigittes_rarities
    18 years ago

hi, i sell these i have 3 available averaging between 15 -18 inches. they are $45 plus 7.95 for the shipping, please email if interested. i except paypal.

• john_dr
    18 years ago

Jade vine plants are available from the Redcliffe Garden Center, Snook St Contlaf Qld 4020 for about $A17 if anyone is interested

• bihai
    18 years ago

Hi Brigette,
    its not "legal" to advertize things that you sell on Gardenweb. You can only have a friend do it for you (LOL)

• mariava7
    18 years ago

My mother in the Philippines has a very beautiful plant of this climbing up a tree in her nursery. She said she was very unsuccessful propagating it through cuttings and it won't produce seeds either. Her friend who lives 50-60 miles away from her, by the mountain side, has one and it produces seeds. Does this plant require any special techniques to make it seed or propagate from cuttings? LUKMEE...How do they do this in Thailand?
    I searched on this in Hortiplex and they have one pic there and it was a blue flower grown in Hawaii. Is this the same plant with a different colored flower? If it is, where can you get one of this?

• tobee44
    18 years ago

but does anyone know where to go them in usa? logee's has to grow them for you. i ordered in dec and they will not be ready to ship until mid summer! looking for 2 plants for late may shipping??? anyone know?

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

I got mine from Logees a couple of years ago, kept it in a makeshift GH with just a heating lamp on cold days. This is the first time it bloomed for me and I did see hummers go to it. It did have more buds but the fell off b/c of the cold. Helena

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hug_a_tree
    18 years ago

What a wonderful photo Bihai. I live in Hawaii, and have not grown my own yet. This post has definitely motivated me to get one going. It's such an exotic and gorgeous specimen. Thanks for sharing!

• bihai
    18 years ago

You are welcome, hug a tree!
    I was out in the greenhouse on SUnday doing some work, and noticed with absolute elation that my plant is going to bloom again!

It had a total of ONE raceme of flowers last year, and again in Feb/March is bloomed with one, which has come and gone, but Sunday I found 2 more developing scapes! Hopefully it will have more and more as years progress now.

• williamr
    16 years ago

I have recently been interested in finding a Mucuna bennetii for sale. About 12 years ago I purchased some seeds from the tropical rainforest seed company (don't think this is still around)which were sold in the discovery channel store in the mall. They sprouted for me and grew so fast I had to plant it outside. Almost immediately after I did, the plant died. A few years later I found a seed on the beach here that looked exactly like the seeds of Mucuna bennetii I had gotten, but when I germinated it, it wasn't(some other mucuna species?). I checked Logee's website and it doesn't look like they carry it anymore, and Searle bros isn't open to the public. Thank you in advance for any info. Also is Mucuna bennetii considered a liana?

• Bill
    16 years ago

Searle brothers does open to the public, once or twice a year. The next one will be this fall. I have not been in a while, but last time they did have some nice specimens of Mucuna bennettii. I have also seen Mucunas at the Ramble Plant sale at Fairchild Tropical Garden, but I forget which seller had it.

Bill

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I recently bought a Jade Vine from Zone 9 Tropicals. It's beautiful, a few feet long, probably much longer because it's trellised and that was the quart size. It was only $25. They also have a gallon size for $34. Over the past couple years I've bought a number of tropicals from this nursery and they've all been large, healthy plants.
    Karyn
    http://www.zone9tropicals.com/strongylodon-macrobotrys-jade-vine-p-142.html

• siegel2
    16 years ago

williamr

I just got a Red Jade vine in the mail from Brian's Botanicals. Its a huge, well established plant. It was the first time I ordered from him, but I highly recommend his plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Jade Vine source

• williamr
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your responses.

• firegurl
    16 years ago

I agree with Karyn on the jade vine from Zone 9 tropicals. I ordered the gallon size and with shipping it came out to $46. It arrived in a huge box and was packed so professionally. The plant is large and even has new leaves on it. I'd highly recommend them.
    :) Danielle
    Firegurl

• jimiant2002_yahoo_fr
    16 years ago

I have actually some 10 seeds of Red Jade Vine. First time seen by the grower himself in 20 years. I am wandering how to make them successfully germinate. Any help thanks.

• bihai
    16 years ago

I have a large green jade for trade

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I wish my greenhouse was bigger!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I just saw that Zone 9 Tropicals has their Jade vines on sale. 1 gal is $29 and 1 qt is $22. I bought a qt size vine a couple months ago and it was huge so I can just imagine how big their gallon size plants are.
    Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone 9 - Jade vine

• bihai
    16 years ago

wow sure would be cheaper to trade for one.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Bihai you have such an extensive collection of plants that most people don't have something for trade that you don't already have! lol I'd love to have a quarter the collection that you have.
    Karyn

• bihai
    16 years ago

well, Karyn, I do usually get good trades, and you are right, a lot of them don't come from Gweb all the time.

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Sometime in 1996--97 my husband and I attended the bromeliad show at Fairchild in Miami and we fell in love with the green jade vine. We went and got one as soon as we could. It did very well for some time. but not having a conservatory and being in North palm beach zone 10 A we finally lost it. Us taking it and out of the cool / cold weather wasn`t enough.

A couple of years later we when back to Fairchild's to help out with the hibiscus show and was startled to find that they had less than 1/2 of the vine left. This was long before the 04/05 hurricane season.

The fact that they were having trouble sustaining the vine was comforting to us. Now , I haven`t been there in a few years....... it may be back to its full glory. But here in Jupiter, we would need to commit to as special outside room just for the vine. We get to cold.

Not to say I won`t try again some day :)

• bihai
    16 years ago

That one is traded but will have another to trade soon....

• gardenfll
    16 years ago

I just got a 1 gallon from Zone 9 Tropicals.

I saw the Jade at Fairchild's last month. It is huge, and healthy. It has tons of blooms.

Jupiterplants ,

I'm sorry to hear you lost yours. Can you say was it in Full sun, part shade, soil type, etc.

I am in Lauderdale and want to try to increase my chances of getting it to be happy.

Thanks!!

• gardenfll
    16 years ago

The 1 gallon arrive from Zone 9 Tropicals in great condition.

Did not drop 1 leaf, moist soil in a pot wapped in plastic and a cap to hold the soil. Top shelf packing job Zone 9 Tropicals did a great job.

I got it planted over the weekend in a part sun area under an Oak tree...now I am crossing my fingers it will like that spot.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I can't say enough good things about Zone 9's plants. Bob does a great job packing them and I've never had a plant from him die. My Jade has at least tripled in size since I got it a few months ago. I have it in sun but it's pretty shaded by some large plants that I'm allowing it to grow on. I just hope I can give it enough humidity when it comes in for the winter. I'll probably keep it in the same area with my cocoa which also need excessive humidity. We've certainly had enough of that this summer. I wish that I lived closer to Zone 9 or maybe I don't. lol Shipping rates to my area are getting pretty high so I haven't been buying as much. If he was close I'd be buying plants every week.
    Karyn

• gardenfll
    16 years ago

Since mid August my Jade vine is up to 9 feet tall. That is tall and includes 3 wrapÂs around a big Oak tree (so it is probably 13Â in total length in 2 months).

I've never had such an interesting grower. It will not grow at all during daylight just at night and then in huge spurts. 7" in 1 night is not unusual. I have been very painstakingly training it using bonsai wire to go where I want it to which takes a lot of patience.

I have given it miracle grow acid mix and read on another post that it likes micro elements so I have given it some palm tree fertilizer too. So far only mild pest spots but nothing too worrisome.

I plan on giving it a blast of EPIN and CIRKON hormones as soon as we get into dry season here (I know I am cheating but I hope that I can get it to bloom in 12 instead of 24 months)

• popper1
    16 years ago

gardenfll-

Have you had/seem any difference with EPIN and CIRKON hormones?

David
    pmbirds1@yahoo.com

• gardenfll
    16 years ago

David,

I have not had a chance to use EPIN and CIRKON yet as they need to have about 19 hours to absorb. We are in rainy season here and I have not seem a couple of dry days in a row for a while. I may get a chance next week by the look of the extended forcast.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I had to cut more then half my vine to get it in the GH for the winter : ( I'm trying to root a few pieces that were cut but it's not looking too promising. If it makes it through the winter I'll have to be more careful where I put it when it's time to go back outside.
    Karyn

• gardenfll
    16 years ago

karyn1,

How large did it get during 1 growing season for you?
    What zone are you in?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

It must have put on well over 10' of new growth but it was hard to tell because it had grown around other plants and a railing. It wasn't in the best spot and really needs to be further away from other plants next season. I have to find somewhere that will allow for more vertical growth. I'm in zone 7a, just outside of Washington, DC.
    Karyn

• o7sugar
    16 years ago

Hi Karyn! I too am interested in the jade vine and also live in zone 7, however I'm in RI. I was wondering where you kept this plant outside. Full sun, shade?? How cold is it for this plant not to be able to tolerate being outside? In your opinion, and anyone elses, do you think it would survive inside a house for the winter?? Any information would be great.
    Thanx,
    -Nicole-

• s_p8987
    15 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a jade vine at Arbor Gate in Tomball, Texas earlier today. There was only one left - but I got it for $7.95. I also got a Vigna caracalla for the same price. It's a wonderful nursery - next time I'm on my way out to houston - i'll stop by again

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Nicole I didn't see this post and if you happen to see it wanted to answer your question. This is strictly a greenhouse plant outside of the tropics. It wouldn't survive in a house over the winter. I keep it ouside in filtered sun during the growing season but it goes back in the greenhouse when temps begin to drop. I'm not keeping my GH as warm this winter and don't know if it will make it or not.

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

Gary, you should be fine growing it in zone 10 FL. Mine is up and growing all over the house. Fairchild does have a nice specimen as does Flamingo Gardens, which have the plants on occassion, they get them from Black Olive/Living Color on Griffin Rd in Davie.
    Dont know about the rest of every one on here, but if you are local, it would be good to get them there but they are in 3, 5 and 7 gallon pots. We put ours in probably about Feb or March, took a couple months for it to get going, now it is covering 1/4 of the side of the house.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

I think gaza has said since this (05 post) then his Jade vine in Culver City died from the cold of 07. And i dont think it got to freezing but it was just too cold too long that whole month of Jan 07.
    On the positive side,if somebody planted one the next spring in 06,it would be close to flowering size again. Why you never give up to freak freezes.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

oop,meant spring of 07.AND it's been very mild since then.

• uyeahu
    12 years ago

I grew one in a greenhouse for several years. It was in a 5 gallon pot but eventually rooted into the ground. After 3-4 years it put out several racemes of flowers and they were amazing! Probably my favorite vine grown for flowers, the color is like those blue-green neoprene gloves you see in hardware stores! The vine always seemed to suffer through the summer, the greenhouse regularly reached over 100 degrees and the vine, of course, was close to the ceiling of the greenhouse. Eventually it died and although I was given some cuttings from a Botanic Garden, they were difficult to root without mist and they all dropped their leaves and died as well. So finally broke down and order one on line. It came in a tiny 4" pot but was healthy with good roots. It was transplanted to a one gallon and it put on a burst of growth in December and then pretty much stopped. As soon as the weather is warm enough, it will go into a 3 gallon and be put outside in semi-shade. The greenhouse is too hot and sadly our outside climate is too cold. Plant to make some kind of structure that will fit in a pot, allow the vine to climb and allow the flowers to hang freely, then keep the plant sheared to about 6-7 feet to keep it manageable. Can't wait to see it flower again!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I haven't seen this post in a long time. I finally gave my Jade vine away. My GH has too many other plants in it during the winter and there just wasn't enough room. I was having to cut it back so much. The last straw was when I began letting it get down to around 50 at night in the GH. The Jade didn't respond well to that at all. I realized it was never going to thrive in the conditions I could provide so I gave it to someone in zone 10. I've seen a few specimens in bloom in tropical climates and they really are a spectacular plant. The color is so unusual for a flower.

• Nichole14
    11 years ago

Karyn1: I am from NW Florida. I recently saw your posts about jade vine. While visiting the Big Island of Hawaii, I first saw the jade vine. I'm in love with it. It is beautiful. I've been tempted to send one to my mother back home. I have to say I'm in horror to hear you gave it away. I'm sure you found it a good home.

I have found two places on the web that sells them: Logees in Connecticut and Zone9Tropicals in Houston, Texas. I'm not sure if the World Botanical Gardens in Hilo, Hawaii sells them, where I saw it.

All the best...

• karyn1
    11 years ago

The jades from Zone 9 are really nice and a great price. Logees generally has very small and over priced plants. I've been buying from Zone 9 for many years and have never been disappointed but would never buy from Logees. It's such a temp sensitive plant that it needs greenhouse conditions even in So FL and it gets huge. It's a spectacular looking plant in bloom. The red variety (Mucuna benettii) is also beautiful.

If I hadn't found a new home for my vine it would have eventually died.

• bobkathy
    11 years ago

In Kailua-Kona, HI, we planted a red jade vine 2-3 years ago. It is growing fantastic with beautiful thick foliage, but no flowers. Any advice to get it to bloom?

• HU-721289306
    3 years ago

Hi, would anyone know, why does my one year old plant of Jade Vine / Strongylodon macrobotrys have discoloured rusty leaves. It has been growing happily inside and since about two months it is outside (green house with filtered light) and was doing very well, till recently when it started to shed some of its old leaves, first creating brown-rust like spots on them. It has lots of new shoots so seems to be regrowing well.
    Would anyone know, what is my plant missing? Thx