SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

new: fotess may salad send off!

sjc48
9 years ago

Evening All!!
I know that both Flat McGregors are still busy traveling around the country, but I thought I'd better get the May swap posted.

May is National Salad Month and I thought we could celebrate by doing a Salad Send Off! This is going to be a take off of sorts of our Christmas Swap. If you sign up, you will Send Off a Spring-type card and a copy of your favorite salad to two other members of FOTESS. Very simple and I PROMISE you will only send to two members.

In the event you don't have a "written" recipe for your favorite salad, you can write a short, instructional note instead. I know I've never had a written recipe for my potato salad.

Salads are many and varied. There are pasta, bean, chef, egg, tuna, chicken, lettuce, garden, potato, jello, fruit, macaroni, Waldorf, Cobb, Ceasar and many others. And they are one of my favorite foods: quick and easy!

Sign ups will end on Friday, May 9th and I'll email you your secret partners that evening. You will have all month to mail out.

Any questions, concerns?

All righty then, if you would like to Send Off your favorite salad recipe to two other members, sign up quick!
Shirley!

Comments (124)

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Hi Shirley....yes I got the names thank you so much...I am mailing mine off this morning.

For some reason I am not getting any emails or posts that are coming through from GW. any ideas?

Happy Monday ladies!
    Jayeanne

• smitties
    9 years ago

I have to get up and going but finding I am a bit sluggish this morning. The temps are quickly going up so that will help.

Heidi, you are absolutely correct about keeping kids working. The University of Cincinnati is a fabulous University with the coops. These are paid positions and Taylor is getting paid 22 dollars an hour and has learned so many things at the place he is working. I love that they give the fair wages since these students are really working. The University here in Bowling Green has internships and they don't pay. How fair is that? Anyway, Taylor loved his position last year and he did well. He is going into chemical engineering so it will be nice if one of the places he works at hires him when he is done. He will be going to school for 5 years because every other semester he is working. He sure won't have much debt when he is done either. My daughter just graduated at Ohio State and is having difficulty even getting an interview anywhere.

Shirley, I have to tell you that every time I see a butterfly, I think of you and want to ask you what it is. LOL I can't wait to get out later and see what visits here.

Margo

• Related Discussions

NEW: MAY FOTESS, ~~~"FOTESS MOMMIES"~~~

Q

Comments (249)
    Beth....LOL!!! It is all about fun!!!!! Confusion makes it even more fun!!! Playing "FOTESS MOMMIES" and giving THANKS to Jeanne and Shirley this past month of May...........THANKS Jeanne and Shirley!!!! *Shirley...(brittneysgran)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Nicole...(bluee19)...SENT....Shirley REC/Jeanne REC *Darrin...(cryptid)....SENT....Jeanne REC/ Shirley REC *Erica...(ericabraun)....SENT...... Jeanne REC/ Shirley REC *Peggy...(canfan)....SENT to Jeanne and Shirley...Shirley REC *Margo (smitties)...SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Heidi (xiangirl)....SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Katie (kchd)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Faye (nottougly)....SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Mandy (l1onnes)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Beth (beth_b_kodiak)....SENT to Shirley and Shirley (LOL!) and Jeanne....Jeanne REC *Annie...(canyonwind)...SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC Happy Wednesday! Annie
    ...See More

March FOTESS-- Month of the Green!! Salads that is!

Q

Comments (191)
    Ladies - Park Seed has free shipping no minimums code BLOSSOM (can't find end date on this one, just announced, figure probably weekend only). https://parkseed.com Harris Seed has free shipping UNTIL TOMORROW code 8springfs at their Gardentrends newer site. https://www.gardentrends.com EDITING to add - hard to shop just seed on this site, lots of more expensive collections and plants BUT if you click something (Vegetables then Squash for instance) you can sort price low to high and get to the seed first. Doing it that way I find 10 organic seeds for Honeyboat Delicata or Queensland Blue for just $1.09 https://www.gardentrends.com/collections/squash?sort_by=price-ascending Saw the sale code on garden.org, haven't tried it yet. Not that there's a thing I need, but do have to look ....
    ...See More

FOTESS MAY SWAP: Double Delight on May 5th

Q

Comments (111)
    Hey all just checking in. I happened to see info about African violets above. Back when my father was much younger he was quite the horticulturist and loved African violets especially. He still has a magic touch with them. Funny (but true) family story. My aunt (mother's sister and known/admitted black thumb) expressed her absolute glee over how beautiful my father's African violets were. She was explaining that she could never ever keep anything alive but had an especially difficult time with violets. At the next family get-together, my father brought my aunt a plastic potted African violet. He said, "this is one you can never kill; I guarantee it." He thought based on that, that she knew it was artificial. About a year later we were at her house and she had it in the middle of the kitchen table and said, "Look Rick, I have been caring for it for a year and it hasn't even dropped it's petals." When he looked at her quizically, she said "I water it every day and make sure to give it sun but not too much. You were right, I didn't kill it." My entire family erupted into laughter when he explained that it wasn't real. Though crestfallen at the time, it has become quite the family hoo haw.
    ...See More

May FOTESS Participation (Games and Photos for Group Members)

Q

Comments (130)
    I'm so sorry, but it doesn't look like I will get to more plant part questions. Perhaps I can try it again one month when I am hostess again. Congratulations to Nicole who won our Gardener's Derby Game and to Emily who is clearly first in the Plant Parts Game. I'll get little prizes send out early in June. Thanks to everyone for posting comments, pictures, and participating! We continue to have storms off and on and the humidity these past few days has been horrid. I heard someone say it is so oppressive because of two air masses that came together - all I know is you can hardly stand to be outside. Meanwhile, I'm arranging more times to get roofers and other people out here to evaluate damage and schedule repairs. The roofers can return on Monday which is great. The back part of the roof hasn't been repaired yet and I started getting interior leaks which correspond with where they still need to do repairs. This tree episode has been a nightmare, but the services I dealt had some very nice people to deal with so that has been much appreciated. (However, I'm glad I called LOTS of them because here it is over 2 months later and I haven't even gotten a return call from some of the tree services. I know they are busy, but they need to leave a message or something about how backed up they are.) Here's a picture of my gladiolus that's in bloom today. My plants seem to have loved all the rain. Of course, we have very sandy soil so they don't stay waterlogged in it.
    ...See More
  • Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Margo--Thank you , Thank you! She sent me a recipe that my dgt. in law and I were actually talking about this weekend! My mother used to make this and apparently the recipe was in her head, because we have never found it written! We both love cucumbers and loved this but didn't know how to make it. I'm pretty sure this is the one! I can't thank you enough! Also send me some Best Alpha cucumber seeds with it and a lovely sunflower card! I loved it all and brought back wonderful memories! Already called my dgt. in law and told her about it! Just awesome! Thanks so much! Melinda

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Just received a big package today from Sheri/Panhandle Seed Swap.
    Will post details later, but for now WOW.

• smitties
    9 years ago

Melinda, you are most welcome and I do hope it is the one you are looking for. I enjoy the recipe because it is so easy to make and so refreshing on a hot day.

Margo

• ruthz
    9 years ago

kchd, how exciting for you.
    smitties, what great finds on the flowers. I'm going to have to look up the Echinacea. Sounds beautiful. I added two new ones this year and plan to add more sometime.

What an awesome surprise package I received from Sheri/ Panhandle_seed_Swap yesterday.
    A recipe for "Best Broccoli Salad". I've never made broccoli salad but I do love it and this looks really good.
    She also included
    Red Onion Bulbs (need to plant these today)
    a package of T-Markers
    a package of Ritter Sport Alpine Milk Chocolate (YUM)
    and a beautiful personalized card.
    Everything was packaged so beautifully with pictures and descriptions
    Thank you so much.
    I'm going to have to get more creative to hang out with all of you wonderful ladies.
    Happy Tuesday to all.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Thank you, Ruth! It was fun to do. :)

I always used to buy that broccoli salad from the deli, now I just make my own (using that recipe). I can eat it as a meal, it's so good!

Sheri

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone, sorry that I was MIA-been fighting off a cold, then the air conditioning was on "frigid" at work yesterday and I came home feeling slightly less than good! Ate dinner and zonked out!

Heidi, there's no doubt in my mind! I just hope all those little critters take advantage of all that is out there!

I put my Salad Send Offs in the mail this morning, the mail guy left me some mail, also the Send Offs. Hmmm? Hopefully they will go out tomorrow.

Swap Update:
    Jeanne - sent - 1 rec'd
    Katie - sent
    Jayeanne - sent
    Heidi - sent - both rec'd
    Margo - sent - 1 rec'd
    Sheri - sent - both rec'd
    Ruth - sent
    Annie -
    Peggy -
    Shirley -
    Melinda -
    Me - hopefully tomorrow!
    Hope I got this right, if not, please let me know, okay?

I need to go back thro the posts and make a list of the salad recipes I want, some of them sounded so good!
    Also, Ruth, Is Penzy's an online site?

Ate lunch in Loranger Square, next to the courthouse, today, saw three different butterflies, none of which hung around long enough for me to get the camera out! They seem to be coming out earlier this year, which is surprising, considering the hard winter we had. But I'm not complaining, just wish they would slow down!

Have a great evening, Ladies,
    Shirley!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Shirley... I order from Penzey's online. I'm crazy for their Cayenne Red Pepper. The flavor is really excellent compared to the one in the grocery store. I'll post the link below.

I have an online (and phone order) coupon code for a free full-sized jar of their Fajita Seasoning Blend. They say it's good on fajitas, tacos and pasta salad. Code: 21458C expires July13. 2014

Sheri

Here is a link that might be useful: Penzeys Spices

• kchd
    9 years ago

Jayeanne, I only get a handful of posts to this thread emailed to me. And I'm starting to notice a pattern, too. I receive emails when Ruth, Margo, Annie and Sheri post; but I never receive emails when Shirley, Jayeanne, et al post. It's like a one sided conversation.... I get confused about what people are talking about, then I go to the website and see the posts I've missed and it makes more sense. Hmmm.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Good Morning/Afternoon FOTESSERS,

My "Salads" have left my mailbox and are headed to their destinations.

I like Penzeys too. I have not ordered their Fajita Seasoning Blend....need to give that one a try!!!

Enjoy your day!!

Annie

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Good Afternoon Fotessers!

I had quite a surprise in my mailbox this afternoon!! A wonderful card from Jayeanne!! With seeds: Watermelon Crimson Sweet and Genovese Sweet Basil. The cutest butterfly notepad and an amazing recipe for:

Watermelon Prosciutto Salad

1/4lb of prosciutto cut into thin strips
    1T chopped fresh basil
    3T white balsamic vinegar
    2tsp. honey
    1/8tsp. paprika
    1/3C olive oil
    3C seeded & cubed watermelon
    2 bunches of watercress
    1/2tsp. ground pepper

Garnish with watermelon wedges

1. Brown Prosciutto in a sm. nonstick skillet over med. heat. 5 min. Set aside.

2. Whisk tog. basil and next 3 ingred.; gradually whisk in oil until blended.

3. Arrange watermelon cubes over watercress. Sprinkle with prosciutto and pepper. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
    Serve immediately. Garnish if desired. (Makes 4 servings)

YUMMY!!

Thank you Jayeanne!! Have a BBQ to go to this weekend and I'm going to bring this! Sounds yummy and different!

So sorry I missed out on this swap! Have to pay attention to GW more. Been running around crazy. Started substitute teaching a couple of weeks ago.
    And trying to mulch the beds and keep up with my iris'...I need a GW break! :)

Catch ya on the next swap!

Happy Blooms!
    vina

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Evening!
    Hi Vina, nice to hear from ya! That recipe sounds delicious!

Peggy, I sent you an email earlier, hope you got it. Let me know, okay?

Thanks for posting, Annie! And thank you all for the Penzey info. Checked out the site, and sent it on to my son in law, who is a great cook and will love it.

Beautiful day here today. Hope the good weather lasts over the weekend. 3 days off! Yippee!!
    Have a great Thursday,
    Shirley!

• canfan
    9 years ago

Yes Shirley, I got your email and sent you a reply... thanks for the info...

I finished filling up one of my herb pots today and got a few starts of a Snow Ball bush. They are pretty small starts ... hope they survive.

The weather here is beautiful....so no complaints in that department.

I'll be picking up some asparagus tomorrow to make pickles with my nieces. Looking forward to spending time with them.
    But I won't be up for that if I don't put this computer to bed. haha....zzzzzz

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I'm a little late in replying about Penzy's.
    Sheri, I think the flavor of all of their products is superior to grocer store stuff.
    Yes you can mail order, but they also have a lot of locations so you may have one in your area.
    I ordered for many years before we finally got two stores here.
    I have tons of their spices, but a few of my favorites are Ruth Ann's Muskego Ave Chicken and Fish Seasoning (use this on everything), Vietnamese Cinnamon, Aleppo Pepper and all the Pepper, Chili and Garlic seasonings.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Vina - hope you enjoy that recipe my kids love that!!

Thank you for the scrumptious sounding 'Citrus Shrimp & Toasted Couscous Salad' Recipe today from Katie... my daughter loves shrimp! I cant wait to make this for her and surprise her with it!

Enjoy your day ladies, its raining here so laundry day it is =)

Jayeanne

• smitties
    9 years ago

Received not one, not two but three recipes today from Shirley.

Orange Fluff salad
    Fruit salad dressing
    Sour Cream macaroni salad

My daughter and sil are coming for dinner on Monday so I think I will make the macaroni salad to go along with our burgers. Thank you Shirley as these all look refreshing and delicious for the coming hot season.

My hubby and I received a request to go to Texas to babysit for the baby while their daycare lady is on her vacation. I am so excited I can't stand it. A whole week getting to know the little guy again. He will be 9 months old by the time we go. We haven't seen him since he was 4 months so this is going to be a real treat.

Beautiful weather here. It is close to perfect with temps in the 70s and nice cool evenings. I am planning on really getting caught up in the gardens this weekend. I am also going to head up to Toledo for the farmers market.

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

I hope everyone has a nice weekend. It is already starting to be too hot for me to be outside during the middle of the day. Oh, my... it's going to be a long summer! A salad will be great.

Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking like you, Jeanne, quick, easy salads and no messing with the stove! Gonna be much too hot!

We're getting sunny but cool weather here, heck of a breeze going on! Good weather for gardening, which is all I intend to do this weekend.

I can't believe what all is blooming or getting ready to bloom! Three of my iris's are blooming, got a beautiful white one, Alpine Storm, compliments of Vina! All of the Columbines are ready to burst into bloom, including the wild-red/yellow one that I have no idea of where it came from!

Margo, you are going to have such a great time! That is such a cute age! And I hope you all enjoy the macaroni salad. My kids really like it. I sometimes add chopped sweet pickles too. The fruit salad dressing is an old, old recipe, haven't made it in quite a while, you may want to cut the sugar by half. I'm remembering that it was really sweet.

And I'm thinking that shrimp salad recipe should be pretty tasty!

Well, gotta go work on the quilt block templates and then maybe an early bedtime-ha ha.
    Have a great Saturday, All,
    Shirley!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Sherri, the chocolate was yummy. Hubby and I devoured it yesterday.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Shrimp Salad sounds good!!!!!!

To all my FOTESS friends, have a lovely and safe weekend! And GOD BLESS those who have given their life for our country and for us.....

Annie

• smitties
    9 years ago

Oh boy, I did it again. Went to the farmers market and got swept off my feet by the plants they had. Bought a pink balloon flower, pineapple mint, lemon grass, English daisy and a spider web hen and chicks all at 1.25 each. Then I just had to have a green jewel echinacea that was in the gallon pot for only $7.00. So exciting and tomorrow is plant day there. They are having 35 different plant suppliers going to be there. I am having such a hard time not being tempted to go back.

The weather was absolutely beautiful today. Well worth the cold dark days of winter wait. Well, maybe not. Anyway, highs in the 70s and no humidity. I just doesn't get any better. Tomorrow will be a little warmer but we plan to finish the day with our first bonfire.

I hope everyone else had a super day. Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The weather is great up here, too, Margo. Had a great planting day yesterday and another planned for today!

Thought I'd share these pics. About 4 years ago, Vina sent me a whole box of Iris rhizones. THIS year, I'm finally getting blooms. Had a bit of a problem with "enough sun" and "Russian Sage covering them up". These are so pretty!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's another! This is Alpine Storm. The yellow is Ola Kala. President Pilkington should be blooming any day now!
    Enjoy!
    Off to weed, clip, trim, plant seeds, find my clippers, set up the fountain and organize the back yard!
    Have a great day!
    Shirley!

• l1oness
    9 years ago

Shirley - those Irises are beautiful! I have some of the standard purple ones coming up - Irises look so graceful.

May has just gotten away from me - I didn't even realize this swap was running until I got this very nice card with salad recipes in it from Annie (canyonwind). I love salads - and hopefully my garden will produce some lettuce very soon! Annie sent me the recipes for a Cobb Salad and a La Scala Copped Salad - with the dressing recipes included on the pages - yum! She suggested a nice Sauvignon Blanc to go with it - I think that sounds lovely. The envelope included some palm tree confetti - very festive!

This year, I named one of my boxes the "salad garden" and planted snap peas, beets, carrots, radishes, cucumber, spinach, one mini cherry tomato plant, and three different kinds of greens in it.

Thank you Annie - and the FOTESS group - you gals are amazing! Hopefully June won't fly by quite so quickly!

Mandy

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

Shirley, your irises are so beautiful. I have iris plants but they almost never bloom. I have dug many of them and given them to be sold at the Master Gardener plant sale. Maybe they will be happy with someone else's soil and care.

I received a recipe for Lime & Pear Jello Salad from Melinda yesterday and a very pretty notecard with a floral design around the edges and pears in the center. How appropriate! The center is a small envelope that has a fruit and flowers scent to it. Thanks so much, Melinda. That was definitely the best thing that came in the mail yesterday.

My daylilies are starting to bloom. It's a bit of fun in the garden because you don't know what you will have blooming out there from day to day. (In fact, most of the time I still don't know because the names of the daylilies faded long ago...)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

I received a wonderful recipe from Katie for Citrus Shrimp & Toasted Couscous Salad. Sounds wonderful and I love a good salad. Thank you Katie for sharing your recipe.

I mailed mine on Friday so hopefully they will be received tomorrow.

Off to slave in the flower beds.

Shirley

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Evening All!

Okay, Margo, did you go back to the Farmer's Market? And what did you get?

Mandy, nice to hear from you and thanks for posting! I love Cobb salad!

Jeanne, that recipe sounds like an old one my Mom used to make, lime jello, whole pear halfs, and something else. Oh, did you get my email about "sent vs received"?

And speaking of sending and receiving!! I wanted to update the swap.
    Thanks to everyone who played this month, ALL members of FOTESS should have received a Salad Send Off recipe. Hopefully, everyone will post here when they receive.

Here's the update:
    Margo - sent - rec'd
    Melinda sent - rec'd
    Jeanne - sent - rec'd
    Sheri - sent - rec'd
    Ruth - sent - rec'd
    Heidi - sent - rec'd
    Annie - sent - rec'd
    Peggy - sent
    Katie - sent - rec'd
    Shirley/brittanysgram - sent - rec'd
    Jayeanne - sent - rec'd
    Shirley - sent
    Mine should be coming from Shirley early this week.
    Peggy, did you receive a recipe? Did I miss it?
    Here are the others:
    Michelle
    Beth
    Sharon/toomanyanimals - rec'd
    Vegpath
    Sharon/gmom - rec'd
    Mandy - rec'd
    Alana
    Suzanne
    Vina - rec'd
    Diane
    Ellie
    Becky
    Robin
    If I missed anyone on the list, I'm sorry and please let me know!
    We still have all week to receive Salads. Has anyone tried their new recipe yet?
    Jeanne has the June swap, did she mention cuttings?
    Then we are taking a break in July.
    Then we're coming back in August with the 2nd Annual FOTESS Yard Sale!

Great day here today, got all my garden work completed, well, as far as I can. Still need to get mulch and get it spread, but I'm not in any rip tear about that! Thought I'd leave you with this pic: this is the President Pilkington Iris!
    Have a great week, Ladies!

• canfan
    9 years ago

I received my recipe from Anne. I am looking forward to giving them a try. The dressing(s) sound fantastic, too. I seem to go for the samosamo when it comes to lettuce salads but these two recipes will break that habit. Thank you, Anne!

As I was cleaning out my purse I found the cards that were to be mailed out. Will do that tomorrow! I am sorry for the oversite. ;(

Spent the day outdoors...the tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cabbages were planted. BIG garden this year... my husband has put in a lot of work and it shows. Corn was planted yesterday. Just a few more vegies to go.... green/yellow beans, squash, cucumbers and okra. We have eaten radishes, lettuce and collards. Hubby is tired and I think I got a bit of a sunburn. Beautiful Memorial Day.... Thank God for our Armed Forces.

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Hope everyone had a fantastic Memorial Day. And it's back to work tomorrow.

White Clematis:

Iris Vibrations:

Shirley

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shirley! WOW!! That Iris is beautiful! If you have others, please share! My clematis are just starting to bloom. What are those growing on?

Peggy, this is such a busy time of year for everybody, don't panic! And you aren't late, we have until the end of the month to send off. What an array of veggies you got planted! Kudos to your hubby, hope he gets a good night's sleep.

Well, like Shirley said, back to work tomorrow, best be heading for bed.
    Shirley!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Beautiful Iris's and clematis.

We always try to go to a local Memorial service.
    Thunderstorms were threatening but it was still a nice turn out and a nice service.

I made the Broccoli Salad recipe and a blackberry cobbler to take to the lunch provided at our American Legion after the service. Both bowls were empty so I'm guessing it was a hit. I liked it.

Happy to see the upcoming FOTESS Yard Sale again. I missed it last year and it looked like fun. I think I skipped it due to vacation or something.

• elliesfun
    9 years ago

Was so surprised to receive salad recipes from Shirley. Thank you so very much....they all sound yummy. Have been AOL for several months now. Retirement keeps me very busy and now babysitting my great granddaughter who is 5 months now. What a sweetie but don't get anything done when I have her. When I had my 3 kids, I worked and still kept up the yard and home and I absolutely don't get anything done with Brooklyn. What happened!

Have lots of yard projects coming up that will take the rest of the summer and I won't have to do the labor for once. I have only planted tomatoes plus a few other things in flower beds this year. I garden area is going to have some new compost put in.

Thank you again Shirley for the salad recipes. Have a great summer everyone.

Ellie

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

Beautiful flower pictures! Yesterday was my 41st wedding anniversary so we went out to eat and just relaxed around the house. 41 years sounds like such a long time, but seems like just yesterday ... you know how that goes!

Yes, for June we will be swapping cuttings and/or small plants - maybe something you need to divide or something that is pretty far along that resulted from your winter sowing. I'm hoping we can keep this in a small priority box so we are not talking mature shrubs. I'll get this posted soon.

Meanwhile, I am heading to the thread for Flat Farmer McGregor. I really think he has finished visiting everyone and had planned to update to that fact after checking once again. I had bad pain in my back for 2 days of the weekend and then didn't have my mind on it yesterday. If you missed out on Flat Farmer McGregor maybe we can try another type of "flat visit" next year. It was lots of fun, especially seeing pictures of eveyone's yard and flowers, etc.

Jeanne

• kchd
    9 years ago

Hi FOTESSettes,
    Dropping by to catch up on the thread. I am now getting ZERO emails with updates. pppffftttt!

Beautiful flower photos from our members' gardens!

Northern Shirley, yes I sent my recipes but no I have not yet received. I can't wait to see what new recipes I get. The suspense is killing me, especially after seeing all the interesting ones that have been passed along.

By the way, here's a current photo of my sorta square foot gardening / vertical gardening. The squash plants are really starting to climb now, and tend to meander back and forth across their respective trellis'. I've also put in a smaller trellis for 3 cucumbers. The flowers are part of my companion plants to keep squash bugs away. So far, so good. We've been eating the nasturtiums in our salads.

Katie

This post was edited by kchd on Tue, May 27, 14 at 20:56

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Evening Everyone!
    I received the recipe I wanted the most, simply because I couldn't figure out how you would make salad with cornbread; Thank you, Shirley! I have my Mother's cornbread recipe and as soon as I get some cornmeal, I'm making this, sounds delicious! Very nice card too!

Ruth, weren't you back east camping?

Hi Ellie! Nice to hear from you; hope you enjoy the recipes!
    "what happened?" I'm not sure, but I know some of it is age. And I would rather do things with the girls, than housework or laundry when I'm watching them. I have more fun with my granddaughters than I did with my kids, sounds not so good, but it's true.
    Ellie, stay in touch with us!

Jeanne, Happy Anniversary and I hope your back is a little better today. I wish Flat #1 could see my back yard now, looks 90% better!

Katie, you should be receiving your Salad Send Off soon, Peggy said she just sent them. And thanks for sharing the pic, more please, as they grow! And what do the nasturciums taste like?

Margo, did you get rain today? We were supposed to, overnight, but nothing so far.
    Off to check out more Iris sites!
    Have a great day tomorrow,
    Shirley!

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Earth Song

Full Swing

Firecracker

Crimson Cloisonné

Dalton

Peony Bowl of Beauty

Shirley

• kchd
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention, Happy Anniversary, Jeanne! I hope you have already begun to feel better!!

oh Shirley, and Peggy, I'm not worried about receiving by any certain time :) I am just uber curious about what recipe I get to try next. I've got an adventurous palette! LOL

The nasturtiums taste spicy, a little like arugula. You can eat both the leaves and the flowers. The flowers taste milder than the leaves, and are more for edible decoration. By the way, all of the nasturtiums I planted this year were grown from seeds I received from several FOTESS members!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shirley, thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures! Love the Full Swing, just gorgeous!

It's turned cold here again. Keeps threatening to rain, but hasn't so far. Gonna have to get my flannels back out!

Katie, so many of my seeds this year were from FOTESS and GW members. And yes, all the nasturtiums!

Off to fold the rest of the laundry
    Have a great day tomorrow,
    Shirley!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I think this is Loop the Loop iris. It was an iris salvage from an abandoned lot.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Heidi! Great salvage!

Well, we have two days left for our Salad Send Offs. Hope to hear from some more folks!

We're going to end this swap on Saturday, I know Jeanne will be posting her June Swap soon. I hope everyone is enjoying their new recipes!

Here's another pic of the Ola Kala, the darn thing just keeps blooming, so of course I have to keep taking pics!

Early day tomorrow, off to get ready for bed,
    Have a great Friday,
    Shirley!

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Shirley-It's good to get flowers that bloom profusely, beautiful iris.

Heidi-Just gorgeous, love those irises.

Shirley

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

Iris are never happy at my house, but I look at those flowers and wish it would be happy!

The new June Swap is posted!!!

Jeanne

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Thank you, Shirley, for a wonderful May swap... very inspiring. I'm "salad ready" for summer now!

Sheri

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Shirley, thank you for another wonderful FOTESS swap!!
    I love Salad!!!

Happy Saturday!!

Annie

• smitties
    9 years ago

Thanks to Shirley for an enjoyable swap. I am looking forward to trying my recipes.

Beautiful day here yet again but unfortunately I had to work and then came home with a headache so I will just concentrate on watering tonight. I work again tomorrow but only 12-4 so hopefully I can get outside when I get home.

Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Ladies, it's time to close this swap! I'm glad everyone enjoyed it and I'd like to thank everyone who sent out recipes. A big thank you to everyone who responded, too.

One thing: if you signed up for the swap and didn't get a recipe, please let me know, okay?

Jeanne already has the June FOTESS swap up and running, check it out!

We are going to take a break in July and I will be back in August with our 2nd Annual FOTESS Yard Sale! Last year's Yard Sale was fun and I'm sure this one will be too!

Off to sit outside and enjoy a glass of vino!
    Shirley!

• kchd
    9 years ago

I got my recipe yesterday from Peggy! She sent a recipe called Snickers Caramel Apple Salad, which is a desert salad. It combines Snickers, apples, vanilla pudding, milk, cool whip, and caramel!! She also sent some Johnny Jump-up seeds, a very peaceful card, and a letter which also listed bits of gardening folklore. Thank you, Peggy!!

Shirley, I'm with you. Off to enjoy a glass of vino, too.

Katie

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

What Katie said! I got that recipe, seeds, and folklore from Peggy out of my mailbox just now. I guess I missed out by not following this swap more closely. I had no idea I would be receiving a treat.
    Thank you Peggy! That recipe looks fun and I'm going to try it for a 4th of July party I'm planning. I also enjoyed the garden folklore. I can remember my grandfather saying those same phrases.
    Thanks again, Alana

• canfan
    9 years ago

Alana and Katie

I am happy to hear that you received the recipe and etc. Your family and friends will love this salad too.

I wanted to suggest that you can also add 1/2 cup of rough chopped peanuts, too. I have made it both ways and the extra crunch from the peanuts is yummy, too.

Enjoy! Peggy