SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veeja11

UPDATE: Dawn's special person of the month Earthly

veeja11
18 years ago

Congratulations Earthly I am passing the lady of the month, polka dot hat to you. If anyone needs her addy please lmk.I have really enjoyed my month, and am happy to see an active participant become person of the month, go shopping tomorrow for a new polka dot hat and post your pic please. I never found one so couldn't post my pic. so you can be firstHappy May

carol

Comments (49)

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ok Earthly maybe a pic of me in my april hat will inspire you to post yours aren't I cute? where are you earthly?

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

carol, thank you kindly for passing the hat, wow, i am so excited and really looking forward to being the SPOTM.
    (person NOT project LOL) and a polka dot hat to boot!

i'm having problems on the other site signing in, so if and when the need arises to post, i'll definitely be posting here, but i'll continue to do my best to post there as well.

i've been busy planting my veggie garden, still doing some clean up and digging what i can from other people's gardens. today i helped my mother weed her front bed. she's recovering from knee surgery and after therapy and lunch, that's what we did. it made her feel great to get out there - she's a garden fanatic. it's been wonderful to share with her this year pieces of my garden, and plants that i started from seeds. normally, it's the other way around. i'm paying for it now though, my body is aching.

thank you again for this honor. i am very excited!

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: dawn's july special person of the month

Q

Comments (29)
    Earthly, do you think you could paste my messages on the other thread? I have not been able to post over there for awhile. I can read it, but the posts don't take. MAN! Do y'all wanna hear a bummer? I've had Dawn's stuff together, but can't mail it 'til Monday. It's been chosen just for her and her interests. So, it's not really stuff I could save and just give to someone else. Well, I was out shopping today for some items we needed, and guess what, of all things, in a totally unexpected place, happened to run across. A big ole, heavy, cast metal, hand-cranked, COFFEE GRINDER, that's what! I guess it was sort of fortunate that my dh was there w/me because it was over $50 just knowing he was there was enough to make me keep my sanity and not grab that thing. Sorry, Dawn, it was a bit (quite a bit) over my budget for buying and mailing, but it HAS made me think of you all day. I'm glad for my pocketbook and me that I had already done my shopping for you. You're going to like what I DO have for you, though. At least, I hope so. Debbie, once upon a time I told you that your gift would arrive when you least expect it. This is true. It is also going to be when I least expect it. I was away on vacation during your month and purchased things for you then. I have not been able to find where I hid them from myself. It's driving me nuts. I know that they made it home because I saw them as I unpacked, but I have not been able to find the bulk of the "souveniers" from that trip. Debbie, dear, you've never been forgotten, but you HAVE been misplaced. Also, mamabird's turn MUST come before mine because I have special plans for that package. I owe her big time from something else.
    ...See More

UPDATE: 12 month seed swap

Q

Comments (100)
    Jan, I want you to know that I have the Aster Florette seeds coming back to you. I split the seeds you sent, kept half and you get half. You asked in your letter if we got snow, well here is the picture I took after we got the 4 inches on 18th. Basically nothing since then. You asked about winter sowing also. I did my first WS bottle for the year today! I'm hoping the Purple smoke Tree seeds come up. I've had them for 2 years ... crossing my fingers! Hubby doesn't like the WS look, so I try to keep it down to 5 bottles. :o( Looking forward to sending out the Feb. card. sharon/tma
    ...See More

UPDATE: ~~~ Queen of the Month ~ debbya ~~~

Q

Comments (59)
    Maryanne sent a wonderful package! A Decorative Techniques & Projects book "Handmade Clay Crafts" plus a bag full of delicious thumbprint cookies, and a bunch of "Tastefully Simple" products.. Sweet Southern BBQ sauce, Merlot sauce, Sweet & Sassy Mustard sauce, Peach Praline topper, Chipotle Ranch dressing, Lemony Dill sauce! I've been to a couple "Tastefully Simple" shows and love the products! Also, a ceramic rooster plate (so adorable), Swiffer Duster (love these), Farmer's Almanac, shipping supplies-tape, paper seed packages, bubble envelopes. Also, a really cute "I love my Dog" frame for Tobias! St. Christopher auto pin for my car! OOOhhh I almost forgot, a Garden design book that features English Gardens! What a neat box! Thank you soooo much Maryanne! I loved everything you sent! I'm going to miss being your Queen, LOL! Everyone sent me such wonderful, thoughtful gifts! Deb
    ...See More

a very special person

Q

Comments (150)
    OMG just when do you think the son would have registered? years ago? HE said he found this site by doing a search for Richards name and this site popped up since there is this discussion currently going on with his name in it. I just have to say this short of a bloody corpse I don't think some will ever be happy and even then the conspiracy theorist will scream photoshopped. What a way to ruin a mans memorial thread. I wish they would removed all those post from this thread and leave it as his memorial as it should have been. Any doubters could have at least had the courtesy to do their doubting on another thread. This has gone beyond anything questioning to just flat out disrespect and disgusting. I would possibly expect to see something like this on a teen forum it is just crazy to be happening on an adult forum of MATURE adults. My goodness do you hate the man that much? What has he ever done to hurt anyone here NOTHING. Wow I bet no one ever asks a friend or husband to come to this LOVELY place to notify their FRIENDS of their illness or passing. I know I sure will remove it from my list of places to contact. RIP Richard
    ...See More
  • Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Congrats Earthly!

I'm looking forward to shopping for things to make your month as special as you made mine.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

thanks debbie, i so appreciate that.

i was finally able to get on the other place and post, but when i tried to go back....forget it.
    so what's the deal - we stay here or go there?

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I believe it is at both places, I will help keep this thread at the top here, so you don't have to do all the posting. I think we need a bio on you. Do you have your hat yet? I am packing your box today couldn't find any sales on depends tho, so sorry you won't be getting those from me. besides I don't know your size. hope your month is as great as mine was, I will be mailing your box soon

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Haha! I know what I'm sending to you, Earthly, and I GUARANTEE that it will be unique and totally different from anyone else's tribute. You wanted us to share our gardens w/you, right? I promise it won't be fire ants, poison ivy, or tubers from tanglefoot, though. You're gonna get a kick outta this (I hope). Just make sure that YOU are the one who opens the package. I don't think family would understand. Are you getting curious? It's not squirrels, moles, voles, field mice, aphids, whiteflies, or anything that I wouldn't be happy to get, myself. (I guess that rules out Depends, 'cuz I don't want any of those.) I'm sending you something that you might not even know that you want. (Right here is where you are supposed to start thinking and imagining all sorts of wierd stuff about what you didn't already know you wanted. You're expected to work yourself into a curious and anticipatory state, so that when your package arrives you break out into huge guffaws and ritual Happy Dancing.) Curious yet?

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bump, just wanna keep this on page one

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

dang mud mom....i don't know if i should be curious or scared out of my pants! LOL

hmmmm, sending me something i am not even sure i want. there's so many things i don't want but could "use". hope he's a strong one lmao!

carol, i'm still looking for a hat. i'm also looking to post on "the other side", still having problems but working on it. i needed those depends reading those posts! you guys are a hoot. i'm on my way there now to try, try and try again.

have a great day all.

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Earthly,
    I sent your package today. I hope you like at least some of it. LOL

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am posting here as I doubt anyone is reading the old post. I just got an april pkg from muddy mom, I now know why she is called that, lots of muddy rooted plants, muddy choclate, boxes are a lot cheaper to send if you wash the dirt off. worm was doa. I loved it all probably won't eat chocolate tho. since a little mouse keeps eating cake at night, I am sure I shouldn't be eating choclate if I want to fit thru door. could you please send me a list of plants you sent, tags were a bit muddy and hard to read. also got cookies in a tin can not effected by dirt or worm. thankyou I loved it all except for doa arrival. thankyou carol

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Carol, DOA becomes compost....or use a piece of one those plant markers to make a grave marker. I won't say "headstone" 'cuz they aren't stone & you probably can't tell which end is the head. (No, Earthly, I do not plan to send you a doa worm.)

Muddy! Fiddlesticks! All that excelsior over each pot & the tape to keep them in place was supposed to keep that from happening. Now you're making me really wish that I had made a list instead of trying to get to the p.o. before the long after work line formed. (Didn't work. There was still a long line.) Oh, that's not dirt from those pots; It's "Miracle Grow" potting soil.

Carol, you are the very first person that I've actually been able to "share my garden" with. I remember that one plant is a pink foxglove, a tribute to my wintersowing efforts. You probably won't get blooms this year, but it should grow a lot of foliage and stock up strength for next year's blooms. One should be a Pineapple Sage, which the b'flies and hummers love. The leaves have a luscious pineapple scent. I think there were two scented geraniums. See if if what you can read on the tags could translate to Orange Scented Geranium and Nutmeg Scented Geranium. (You'll be able to tell which is which by the smell. I don't think Nutmeg smells anything like nutmeg, but the citrus scented ones are obvious to me.) Were there other herbs in there? Did one tag maybe say "Rosemary"? If you give the pieces of letters that you can decipher & insert about how many spaces you think are between them, I can probably figure it out because I may not know what I sent, but I know what I have, and can go from there.

Hmmm, could have been some wine colored celosia, or pink heather in there. I don't remember if I put in any heirloom tomatoes.

Chocolate and cookies are meant to feed the soul. No one can have too fat a soul. That worm was supposed to eat any mud off the chocolate. A little mud wouldn't keep ME away from chocolate. ;-) The herbs and geraniums are edible and non-fattening. Don't nibble the foxglove, though - that's probably what happened to the worm.

Don't know why the p.o. decided to beat my packages up so much this week. Maybe it was all those "FRAGILE" and "PERISHABLE" stamps covering that package. They must have decided to see if I really meant it. Was gonna cost the same w/or w/o the potting mix, since I shipped Flat Rate.

May have "muddy", but it wasn't "leaky". That title belongs to Annie. Glad it at least arrived. I hope they weren't broken.

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I love them all little muddy, They are in ground and happy. my dh says never mark a box fragile, they will play kickball with it, I wondered why all the excelsior and tape were in the box. Thankyou I love my new plants. we now have little leaky ll and little muddy lm.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Debbie, Debbie, Debbie,

What an absolutely wonderful box you sent me today. The mailman (lady) was all psyched when she delivered it too. She knows what a garden freak I am and waits to see what I get! I happened to be outside playing in the dirt - seems I am always out there when she's delivering - so we talk plants and stuff. I was telling her that I was the "SPOTM" from this forum and after opening this box, I sure as shoot feel so special.

Wow, everything wrapped so nicely too and tied up in raffia ribbon. (you put me to shame, I just put stuff in a box...gotta get better at it!)

Anyway, what a box...two lovely cally lily scented Yankee candles; a package of seed envelopes and labels; 5 packages of seeds -- anemone japanica/alvia zebrina/liatris/mixed zinnia and ipomoea quamoclit cypress vine (I have some googling to do tonight!); a rooted cutting of maynight salvia (which was planted immediately - thank you for sending me a "piece of you") and a wonderful garden "rock", with a frog sitting on the top and purple flowers imprinted on it and the saying on the rock is "bless this home". Debbie, I love it, it so touched my heart. I found the perfect place for it immediately ~~ it is sitting on the top step leading to the porch. Everyone that enters my home or if they only come as far as the porch will always see it. and I will see it every time I come back home.

As if that wasn't enough wait until you hear this. This floored me and it will be my relaxation tomorrow. Debbie sent me a 750 piece jigsaw puzzle. Not your ordinary puzzle either. Aside from there being this wonderful jigsaw puzzle there is also a plantable puzzle. I have never heard of or seen anything like this before and I have been putting jigsaw puzzles together since I was a kid. It is the neatest thing I ever saw, I am blown away by this. I so look forward to building them both!

The puzzle picture itself is just so wonderful - it's a tree with colorful leaves and acorns and a beehive and bees buzzing around, protecting a sleeping bunny and some birds and assorted other things. The saying on the puzzle is "FRIENDSHIP is a sheltered tree". Okay, now get this --there is the neatest mini puzzle included in the box that is plan table...yes, I said plan table. According to the box it says it is made from special paper embedded with a colorful variety of wildflower seeds. You "build" the puzzle, moisten it, plant it and watch it grow. I LOVE IT. I absolutely and positively LOVE IT. I have never ever seen anything like this at all and so look forward to not only putting the puzzle together, but planting the plan table mini puzzle and watching it grow.

Debbie, from the depths of my heart, thank you for the kindness you sent my way. WOW. Absolutely and positively WOW. You really made my day and I am so grateful. Thank you so very much for your kindness and generosity.
    I LOVE EVERYTHING! You treated me so great. Thank you so very much.

Now, Im going to try and post in that other place...try being the operative word!

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Earthly,
    I'm so glad you liked the gifts.

I was hoping your name would come up on the list quickly because of the plantable puzzle. When I found it I just knew I had to get it for you, even though that was back in Feb! After I bought it, I got worried that your name might not come up until Dec. or Jan, not exactly planting weather. LOL

I thought I read where you were hunting for a missing frog on a different swap. So as soon as I saw that I knew it had to be for you. I just hope I wasn't wrong & it was someone else hunting for a frog!

Sorry I forgot to put the card in your box. In the card I included a picture of my maynight salvia that your baby came from. So I will post it here, so you know what to expect in a couple of years.

{{gwi:1091102}}

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Wow, Debbie, you done Earthly up right. Sounds like you sent some really wonderful stuff. You're gonna be a hard act to follow!

Congratulations Earthly on getting such a great box. You sound so thrilled with it! That plantable puzzle thing sure sounds cool!

Alison

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

what??? no depends?I want to know where you got the puzzle it sounds great, as does the hole box, congrats Earthly. where is a pic of you in your new hat?

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

good morning everyone,

yes debbie, it was me looking for a frog in a swap box. it magically disappeared. i love the one you sent. and again, i love everything you sent. and if i had to wait until december, i would have planted it indoors and then moved it. thank you for thinking of me like that! I've already gotrten it started. should be done later today.

the salvia is gorgeous. without even knowing where it should be (looks like full sun) i put it in the ground. looks like i picked the right spot too.

alison, you are right, i was so thrilled with that box, still am.

carol, i'm hatless LOL. actually i can never quite get those gifs right and when i start messing around on the computer downloading stuff and all that, then things get messed up, so i try to avoid it. by the way, the puzzle is made by a company called Ceaco.

thanks again.

Happy Mother's Day everyone :)

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lady of month, you can e-mail me your picture and I will gladly post it for you, you know if I have to find a pic for you it could be fuzzy or in depends, although fluffy liked the pic I found for her, I am having trouble getting your box packed as it won't stop raining here, I may have to give up and send non garden related items, then plants later. DH is home with toothache so not much extra time either, but I will get it off.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

I received a wonderful box from dawn (our hostess) this day. what a great box to come home to after spending the entire day weeding and planting over at my mom's.

what i opened was a box full of assorted goodies. first off was a two tied very ornate desktop letter holder. it fits in the little nook of my computer desk and is currently holding a few small tablets of paper and my calculater. it fits in this spot so perfectly. the next thing i saw were 20 seed starting cups and a bag full or assorted plant markers and some larger very durable plastic zipper lock baggies that will come in handy for either mass quantities of seeds or for sending plants/cuttings. but i think they also might make excellent freezer bags and since i just got a great deal on chicken breast and have to break down the packages, i am thinking these might be perfect for that task. (my other passion - the kitchen!)

there was a bag FULL of assorted seeds. such a wonderful assortment at that. some things i have heard of - a few i haven't, but i will google them and see what's what. can't wait to get them started in the cups you provided. how ideal to send me all the things that go together to get the job done!

i also received from dawn's garden a canna bulb. i just recently got a lot of interesting containers from a thrift store that was closing and i am thinking this canna will go perfectly in the champagne bucket that i got. this way, i won't forget to dig it out (per the instructions sent) and instead can just pick up the container and bring it in for over-wintering. i think it will look wonderful in this bucket. I also received a mystery perennial plant. i'd love to tell you all what it is, but dawn has to let me know. her brain is clouded in dirt and she didn't remember. doesn't matter - it will get planted! LOL
    i also received a large assortment of tulip bulbs.

also, and Dawn, did you read my mind? did you hear the conversation i just had with my son? i just got done telling him i needed to get another timer, because sometimes i only mean to go outside for 10 or 15 minutes, to kill time before i have to be somewhere and i lose all track of time. Dawn sent me the neatest timer. It is a small version of the original corning ware casserole dish. It is so sharp, and it rings just like my neighbor's phone. i might have a real field day with it outside when i need them to shut up already and run and answer the phone! LOL (sorry, but you have to know how she never ever shuts up!). it came in so handy right away, because i got in later than expected, had to get my dog to the vet, but had to get into the shower and out the door. so i set the timer and all worked out perfectly. dawn, it's perfect for carrying in my tool bucket or apron pocket to remind me when the ding rings, get moving!

dawn, thank you so very much for the great box. i really enjoy all the things you sent to me and will put everything to great use and plant up what was sent first thing in the morning. again, how wonderful to have a piece of dawn in my gardens. that's the part i absolutely and positively love the best. when i show people what's what, i always mention who and where they are from and of course, i am getting so good at marking my plants and they always have the person's name on them. my mail lady loves the fact that so far quite a few states are represented in my garden! she's always anxious to know what i got, so i will have to tell her tomorrow, since i didn't see her personally today.

from my heart thank you dawn, i so appreciate the kindness and generosity you put into this box of wonderful items. I lvoe the fact that this is MY month! i just love it.

i will post in your "neighborhood" as well. :)

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

I need some help, please. Earthly, can you please email me your address? This is so sad. I have your things all ready to go, except for actually laying them in the box and sticking on the label. Went to my puter to open my address file and found that one of my kiddos had killed my Sys Config file! Ack! Now I can't access anything! 'Course my dh, for some reason has my start up disc up in Indy. I'm upset about not being able to get to my addresses, bookmarks, and Word files, but I'm going to be devastated if I've lost all my photo files. Can't replace them.

Just Earthly email me, 'cuz I haven't been able to download my email since Oct & it stays too near to full.

I really hope you love this box, 'cuz it sure is being a pain getting it out.

One small problem is that I can't tell just when I'll be able to get on another computer to check my mail. This is a PITA! (You didn't hear me say that.)

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

mudmom,

sorry to hear about your computer loss. i no longer store pictures on my computer due to losing everything - i don't even keep them in my wallet - lost them that way too. losing pictures makes me sad.

sorry i am turning out to be such a thorn in your side LOL!
    i promise you though i am really quite lovable and y get used to that pain!

i appreciate your generosity in even thinking about me, especially with your hands full - when i read your posts i am amazed at what a "super" woman you are - and i don't mean the comic book hero. i admire and respect your strength. plus, you have alot of great qualities - you're a woman; you're a mom and you're a gardener (and you sound very blessed as well)

i look forward to your box, i am sure i will love it, look at all the determination going into it!

thanks again for thinking of me.

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

Earthly,
    Sounds like you are having a great month so far. I am anxious to finish up your package and get it out to you. I'll let you know when it's on its way.

MudMom, I had sent you an email a while back and haven't heard from you. I sent another this morning. Let me know if you get it. Thanks!

Have a great day everyone.....~mamabirrd

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I sent out the non plant part of my gift to earthly today. should have it by monday.I hope to get dandelions and poison ivy out first of the week. I had fun picking little gifts for you hope you enjoy them.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

thanks mamabird and carol. i appreciate your thinking of me :)

did a lot of planting today, still have so much more to do tomorrow. my old bones are A C H I N G in the worst way.

• skohler
    18 years ago

wow mellen between all your birthday boxes & now being
    sportm this is trully a great month for you congrats:)))
    just wanted to say that the salvia I sent was the same as the picture as above just didnt know the name till now .
    thanks debbie will be sure to mark it .
    also that plan puzzle sound super where do you find such
    puzzles hope you can clue me in on it :)))
    happy gardening all

sue

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

Earthly, my box is supposed to arrive there on Sat. Hoping you do two things when it arrives. First, since I didn't stick any Depends in there, please utilize the potty. Remember, I said there was a *special* surprise in there? When you open that you will either be delighted or freak. Either way, taking care of potty matters first would be a good idea. Second, if more than one box arrives that day, please open mine first. Heehee. I want it to be the "best" thing that's happened to you all day. Then you can open any other boxes and they can have their turn at being best.

Mamabird, I'm about to go & see if I can find my way to my mailbox on dd's computer w/o her assistance. Got in there w/her help yesterday just long enough to grab Earthly's addy, write it down, and run out the door. Today she isn't home & I'm sneaking into her room to get on here. Much quieter w/o her bugging me about when I'm going to get out of her room. Why don't teens appreciate Mom hanging out in their rooms? After all, they feel free to plop down in mine anytime they feel like it. For that matter, why do teens insist on loading things onto their mom's puter and opening risky items on HERS. Nevermind, I know the answer to the second. It's because those boys have already crashed their own.

Back to Earthly. Even if you don't love the one item as much as I do, I think you'll get a kick out of the others. It's the most precious, non-human thing, that I could offer.

psst - Now you're supposed to be working yourself into extreme suspense. Just remember what I said about potty first.

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Hi Earthly,

I just wanted to let you know that I am working on putting your package together. I spent part of this week looking for non-garden things to put in, cause I have been babying my back all week. I seem to spend a week recuperating for every day I spend working in the garden. I am planning on doing some digging and shipping on Monday.

Hope you like the things I am sending.

Alison

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

mud mom - you scare me LOLOLOL

and i promise, i'll open yours first. who's to say more than one thing will arrive, but in the event that should happen, i give my promise you will be first! i will prepare myself as soon as i see the mail truck coming. just in case i can't "contain" myself, i'll blame it on the dog!

thanks alison, sorry to hear about your back. i can truly empathize with you on that one. i walk around in a body of an 80 year old some days. thank God for tubs and epsom salts!

in advance i want to thank you all for your kindness and generosity. i so appreciate it all.

regards,
    earthly

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

I'm afraid we may not be hearing from Earthly for awhile. If my package arrived there today as anticipated, she may be otherwise occupied cleaning up the muddy mess she created when she presoaked the contents as a cautionary measure. Should have warned her not to open it *underwater*, so to speak. After that she may become preoccupied in a search for empty safety match containers and lining them w/soft satin to accomodate any formerly wiggly DOA's which may have wriggled in anticpating a free plane ride.

Sorry, Earthly. I would have sent you a mop, but the handle was too long to fit it in.

Mud...Mom

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

MudMom,

In accordance with your RULE I did in fact open your box first. W O W, thank you so very much, WHAT A FABULOUS GIFT! First and foremost, everything arrived in just perfect condition, the box was packaged so well that nothing had a chance to move about. The "French onion dip" would have been sufficient. Im in heaven.

Thanks so much for the knee cushion and the citronella candles. Both will be put to great use. The gladiola bulbs are very much appreciated. I have a glad garden and they will be added to it nice color scheme too purple and blue. I really appreciate them. I also am so thrilled with the hellebore. I saw a picture of them in one of the nicer garden catalogues and fell in love. I googled this particular one and it is gorgeous. I have the perfect spot for it to show it in all its glory.

I see plants, so I want to get them out in case they need water ASAP. As I open the first one ~~ orange thyme ~~ (thank you kindly, what a welcome addition to my herb garden cannot wait to use it in of all things believe it or not, a pancake batter. I love to cook, I love fresh herbs, and I love experimenting and i don't have this one so what a great herb to have sent me). Anyway, I notice this amazing soil ball attached to this plant. Next I opened the lavender. Not only was I beyond thrilled to receive lavender, but I am more and more excited because of the "earth" attached to it. By the time I got to the
    Jelly bean tomato plant, I am so impressed with your soil as a matter of fact; I am totally amazed at your soil. I think I dont even have to really soak these plants just pot them up and give them a little drink from the bottom because these babies are just in incredible condition, with astonishing soil attached. I am so delirious over the deep rich color of this soil and thinking, "Wow, this is some unbelievable compost what could make it so intense and remarkable". I make compost, but nothing this black. Well then I get to the plastic container and I am head over heels in love with this dirt. At that point, I find your note and I am just so ecstatic that you thought even to send me "black platinum" W O W In order to get the most from this, I will be using it as a tea. As a matter of fact, when I was opening the box from you, I was sitting on the kitchen floor, and every little speck that feel to the floor, or was in the box was gathered, not a particle to be lost. I added it to a nearby watering can and watered some seedlings that were sitting on the window sill.

I thought getting chicken poop in a previous swap was all that what you sent me is an absolute fortune. I have been thinking about upgrading my composting technique and you have now inspired me to do so. I am so delighted you shared this with me. I dont know if this is something everyone would appreciate, but I am loving it. I'm one of those freaks of nature that loves compost and composting. Not a scrape goes to waste in this house. It goes in the bin. As a matter of fact, I was at a picnic for most of the day and the hostess packed me up a bag of "garbage" before I left. everyone else was taking salads and desserts and stuff...i was taking the best stuff home though amid the laughter and wonder of some.

Dianna, this is truly an amazing addition to a wonderful box of goodies that was so carefully chosen just for me. I appreciate it all.

My son enjoyed the cappuccino filled cookie and I enjoyed a delicious cup of hazelnut coffee which is my favorite coffee. Its really the only flavor I drink. I am a tea drinker, but will never pass up a cup of hazelnut. I love the smell, I love the taste I have three hazelnut seedlings that I am hoping I have success with, especialyl so i can make some biscotti as well as a hazelnut spread. Wow, you must have ESP.

Dianna, thank you so very much. It was truly a delight to receive such a marvelous box of goodies. I cant wait to get out there first thing in the morning and get things going. I've got a bucket brewing for overnight. Everyone is getting a drink of organic worm compost tea as their morning pick-me-up. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving, how wonderful that you even thought to send this to me. Plants can be easy to share and part with, but compost this phenomenal is not something one readily gives away. Thank you, thank you, thank you so very much.

How very exciting to now add South Carolina to my garden.
    Thank you again, from my heart.

earthly

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Carol (veeja)

Thank you so much for what you call your non-garden portion of my boxI love it all.

The very first thing I saw was the garden proverbs book, which I love. I have a small assortment of these wonderful miniature books all of them given to me by special people. I now have another to add to this collection from yet another special person.

I got a kick out of the shaver. How funny. I howled when I saw that. The dog came running thinking she needed to get in on the joke. This is really a sharp thing. Ive never seen these before. Ill be testing it once the "socks" get too thick LOL. Just kidding, Ill use it tomorrow.

Wind chimes ~~ one can never have too many wind chimes. I have them hanging everywhere and anywhere inside and outside. I love wind chimes. I can never resist them when I am in a store either -- like a little kid, I have to "play" them. I absolutely adore the little glass bugs. They are sitting here with me on my computer desk a constant reminder, a constant smile. They are just too cute.

The plant food is a great addition as is the candle burner. I set the burner on one of the outside tables in one of the many cozy seating areas throughout my property. The change purse I just love it is the neatest thing. I have seen these as Christmas stockings, but not as everyday socks. I already filled it with the change from the little compartment in my pocketbook and put that in. Im sure I will get many comments on it. Its so cute and I just love socks! Also, where on earth did you ever find these really neat little "footnotes"? I have never seen anything like it at all. They are just too cute for words.

I used some pookey salve as soon as I pulled it from the box and before I even read what it was for. Its not bad to use as lip balm either, so it will double duty. I love the fact that is homemade. I am so partial to homemade stuff. How exciting that your husband makes this. Nice to have so much talent in one family, isnt it? The assortment of seeds you sent me is an absolute welcome addition. Thank you kindly for these and you were so very generous in the number of packages you sent.

The green tea body soak is an absolute treat. Being the total bath slut that I am, I can never have enough to soak in and this is a scent I do not have, so its a real welcome addition. Got to love those little scoops that come with it as well.

Carol, these are wonderful gifts that you chose for me and I so appreciate your kindness and generosity. Ive been so spoiled so far and I am really loving every minute of it. I enjoy you, your humor and your friendship. Thank you so very much.

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Glad you liked it, slugs and plants go off tomorrow I hope.

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bump, gotta keep this up top

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    18 years ago

ooooo! Carol, how come there's no pic of you doin' the Bump? Don'tcha need a partner for that?

Earthly, I live in central SC. A couple of miles away from me the soil is sand. In my neck of the woods, it's that same stuff GA is famous for - red clay that requires a pick axe to break if it hasn't rained in the last 2 days. The axe doesn't necessarily break the earth, but it helps you find the rocks as your teeth shake loose. The mounds of loose, crumbly, soil only represent the location of fireant habitat. When I moved here I was, for the first time, a failure at growing just about everything. Of course, having a 5 year drought didn't help. Now we work constantly on building the soil, but there is a very long way to go. Just keep attacking it one bed at a time. I compost outside, have my worm bin inside, and clear out llama and camel stables each week so that I can lug it home. (I enjoy visiting the llamas. Camels DO have awful breath.) We've been mulching w/the pine needles that we have aplenty, and I've been taking the bark off of all the pine trees we had to have felled a couple of months ago. Still, there is never enough organic material. I gave up today and tomorrow morning I have 2 cu. yds. of mushroom compost and one cu yd of sand being delivered. I hope dh doesn't mind the surprise when he comes home the next time. It's being deposited next to his parking space. Guess I better hope that it isn't really rainy the day before. Anyway, You got some dirt from SC, but it isn't the *original* land. Nobody ate that "French Onion Dip" during the night, did they?

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I cant't get dh to do bump, last time I knocked him a couple of miles away. Be on the lookout for plants, tomorrow, both Earthly and Muddy.if a worm or slug got in it is not known by me, Muddy po said you were further away and could be Thursday but it could be wednesday. hope you both enjoy

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

just me doing the bump again, found a pic of lady earthly

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Alison,

Dang woman! What an absolutely fantastic box of goodies, I just adore everything. The wind chimes were opened first. I just happened to have an empty hook sitting up under the eve on the porch and immediately put them out. I love wind chimes. Neighbors might not always care for them, but I have them everywhere on my property and I love them.

I then saw the picture frame and I think out loud that no way this beautiful picture came with the frame, noticing what a lovely garden it is ~~ such beauty and simplicity, how so much was captured on film. My thoughts wander further as to whether or not this is your garden and, if it is, what a great idea, what an extraordinary way to share. Im curious about the plant in it thats blooming and then I think, well, when Im done, Ill e-mail you with a zillion questions.

Then I get to the plants what an abundant selection you sent me, what beautiful, well rooted, excellently wrapped and marked plants you sent. Im getting spoiled with all this.

The hosta is one I do not have and I thank you for it. I had gotten rid of so many of them when I first moved in (thinking they were weeds) to this day I can kick myself in the butt, because the woman who owned the house before me had everything and we ripped so much out because of overgrowth and neglect. I knew nothing about "salvage" then. Thank you for the fern, do you know if I can grow this as a houseplant? I googled the epimedium, find that it is a good shade plant and I have the perfect place for it. And the coral bell is this the same as in the picture? If so, I will just love adding that to my garden. I thank you also for the bleeding heart. This particular plant just recently took on very new meaning for me and I am so thrilled to be adding this to one of my beds.

The little straw purse is just too adorable for words and stuffed with yummy hard candies. I put them immediately in the candy dish and dropped a few in my purse and am also enjoying one as I type this -- thank you. I then see the card and note and I am so thrilled to learn that not only is the picture from your own garden, but you included these gorgeous pressed violets and (I think) bleeding hearts (?). These are so striking. I am going to have to do something so exceptionally special with them I already have all these thoughts running through my mind. I just love these. As a kid, we were taught to always press a special flower in the bible, thats the extent of my flower pressing knowledge. Whatever you did, man these are just gorgeous. And now, since you included a flower press kit, I cant wait to try. Im going to start with some buttercups that I saw on a nearby field. I also want to thank you for the generous package of coreopsis seeds.

Alison, all I can say is WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!! You shared your garden with me in so many unique and imaginative ways plants, picture, pressed flowers and live plants..how fabulous.

I love the postcard, what a great idea. I might just steal that one and the gardenia sachet is so wonderfully fragrant. Gardenia is one of my all time favorite scents.

Alison, my goodness, what a bighearted box of goodies. I just adore everything. Thank you so very much for all the consideration and generosity you put into selecting these items for me. Who would have thought, Christmas in May? I just love everything.

regards,
    earthly

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Great hat, Carol. I am loving it. looks just like me, height and all LOL

Wow carol, thank you so very much for such a great box of plants. After all you already sent me last week and now this box, you are truly spoiling me.

I received hens and chicks. I have been saving out old work boots and filing them with hens and chicks, they line a small path into one of the beds, thank you for sending these to me - as of tomorrow, I can fill another shoe! Wow, what a quite sizeable clump of yellow alstroemeria should all of this be planted as one or can I separate it? A gold euonymus how wonderful, year round beauty! I just took a small cutting from one from my sisters old house in the hopes of rooting it. This is excellent, yours is so established. Thank you also for the Chinese lantern; yellow and gold iris, which will be a welcome among a few other colors I have; variegated moor grass and autumn red daylily again scattered among some other colors I currently have.

Ill tell you, getting these wonderfully, rooted, established plants kicks butt. Got my work cut out for me tomorrow busy day from dawn to dusk with shovel in hand.

Thank you again Carol, what a wonderful box of plants from such a generous lady

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Earthly, you are so welcome! I did try to think of unique ways to share my garden other than just sending plants. I'm so tickled that you liked it all. Sounds like you are having a great month.

Alison

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Come on folks send your pkgs to Earthly, so I can quit talking to myself. get those boxes out month is going fast.
    I have gifts to Earthly received from muddy mom, Debbie sw.
    Skohler, dawn, veeja, not sure on mamma bird. where are the rest of you?

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

I'm here, barely, lol!
    Work has just been out of control. Earthly, your package will be going out on Wed. I am going to finish it up today. Sounds like you are having a really great month.
    ~mamabirrd

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just received a wonderfull april pkg from luna moon. worth waiting for. thankyou Janellecandle was wonderfully fragarant, gloves, chocolates, journal
    thankyou janelle

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Well, my time as Special Person of the Month comes to a close; I wish to send my heartfelt thanks to you all for your kindness and generosity, and for sharing so much. All the blood, sweat and tears that you put into your own gardens and on top of it, you painstakingly dug and separated and labeled and packed and sent so much of your heart to me. For this I am forever grateful.

I have appreciated all the kind words sent my way, the wonderful gifts, the incredible assortment of homemade items, the items chosen specifically for me everything was received and accepted with such a welcome heart. It was wonderful to be spoiled.

I am not quite sure who I am passing the torch to yet, but I can assure you, whoever you are, you will be amazed at the generous heart of each of the players participating in this swap. You will delight in enthusiasm when you see the mailman coming down the street. Its so exciting, its so neat.

Dawn thanks for the great swap and for allowing me to participate. Its been so much fun and I look forward to continuing the "sending" end to the remaining players.

• lunamoon
    18 years ago

Glad the package finaly arrived Carol! It took long enough...

Earthly's package is on its way and should be arriving in the next few days.

Jenell

• veeja11
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Still at least one person who hasn't sent to earthly yet. bad person.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Janell (Luna Moon)

What a wonderful box I received today.

First and foremost, the stationary that you wrote your note on is absolutely gorgeous. I love it. I especially love the fact that you left the envelope blank and I can reuse it. I'm such a recycling type of person. When my kitchen was being redone, I heard my brother tell the counter-cutting guy to hurry up and get the piece they cut out for the sink out of the house before the "scavenger" saw it. HA HA HA, not only did I hear him, I saw it and said "this is perfect for rolling dough on". I still use it to this day!

Okay, back to the box. I missed the weekend so I had spent a good five hours outside cleaning up, weeding, planting, watering and all that fun stuff. When quitting time came, I turned on the bath water and was deciding what to soak in. Just then the mailman(lady) knocked with packages. Lo and behold, inside the box was a box of batherapy natural mineral bath soak to "bathe away the aches and pains". So I gladly added it to the tub. Talk about perfect timing! I smell pretty good now too! LOL

There was also a box of assorted gourmet caramels. Y U M M Y !. They sit close by on the printer table "just for me". Of course, I had to try one of each flavor and they are quite delicious.

There is the most adorable glass and copper butterfly garden stake. It's so adorable and flapping wings to boot. It's really neat too, it can be used for either a house plant or in the garden as the pick portion of it is retractable....DID YOU MAKE THIS?????

The next thing was a purple magic daylily. This is a wonderful addition to add to my daylily collection ~~ can't wait to see this one bloom. There were also a dozen stunning vibrant red gladiola corms. I had just planted some glads earlier today, but none this color. Wow, I'm going to be in glad heaven. If all turns out well, we will have some gorgeous flowers for my nephew's september wedding.

Also included in the box is a bottle of toasted coconut hand lotion and some wonderful flower stickers to decorate cards, boxes, envelopes. Of course, being the "little kid" that I am when it comes to stickers; I couldn't help but put a few on my computer monitor frame.

Wow, my May ended in a bang. What a wonderful assortment of goodies. I love everything.

Thanks so much Luna for all the kindness you sent my way in putting together such a fantastic box. Everything you sent is perfect for me and I appreciate it all so much. A perfect ending to a perfect month if I do say so myself.

Thanks so much for thinking of me

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Dawn,

Thank you ever so much for the great box you sent me. Wow, where begin. I saw that box and my first impression was "there's a tree in there". LOL

After getting it opened i pull out this large country-type sign "I DIG GARDENING". Wow, that is so me. Not because of the saying (which I lvoe) but the decor is me. My son asked where i ordered it from - so that tells you it's me!

The artemisa is a real welcome and so is the pulmonaria. I don't have one of them and i hear everyone talking about them and now i do, thanks to you, Dawn. How wonderful. they arrived healthy and happy and strong.

The bird welcome stake (very nice one, i might add), already found a home in the herb garden. It's one of the only places around my property where there wasn't a welcome sign. (they are everywhere, in every shape and size and style). It was as it was waiting on this one.

I love the flag/banner -- who can't resist Big Bird? And thank you so much for the patriotic citronella candle. It is sitting right on my potting bench where it will help me keep those little pests from bothering me.

Okay, what you called a key holder for tools? DId you read my mind? i can't tell you the number of times i walk around with a small hand tool, put it down and then go nuts looking for it. will this ever come in handy.

MamaDawn, i just love everythign you sent me. So thoughtful, so practical and so wonderful. And how nice to get a package when my month was over (ssssh, don't tell alison i am impinging on her month! LOL) and just when i was going through withdrawal, the mail lady came-a-knocking!

Thank you again . I so appreciate your thoughtfulness.

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

Hi Earthly!
    I'm so glad you liked everything, and that they suit your decor. I had alot of fun putting things together for you. I hope they add to your gardens!
    Enjoy!
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

i received a box from sheena in today's mail, which i thank you for.

inside were some plant markers as well as various log sheets to keep track of trades and plant/seed sowing. i'm going to put the seed/plant sowing logs aside for this year's winter sowing. i did it by a wing and a prayer last season for the first time and was really not as organized as i wanted to be. these logs will really help me - nice addition to the box.

i also received a cute little wooden watering can windchime. I can't tell you just how much i love windchimes - all shapes, all sizes, all designs, all sounds. the more the merrier. they are hanging under the potting canopy/

received also some good size bags that will come in quite handy for mailing plants.

i received two plants - one a japanese iris and the other columbine -- thank you so very much, i have been wanting this and now, thanks to you sheena, i have it! thank you so much for adding these to my box- i just love having pieces of everyone in my own gardens. by next blooming season, i am going to be enthralled by all the beauty that's been added by all you wonderful swappers/traders.

there were also two packages of different lavender seeds -- i LOVE lavender. I hope i do well with these. i will nurture them in the most mothering of ways. the lady lavender, from what i've read, is easier and quicker to germinate - so i am certainly keeping my fingers crossed, and not rushing into things.

sheena, i thank you for your kindness and generosity. i know you were involved in two swaps where may was my month, and i appreciate your thinking of me. i'm going to post this at the other site as well as well as sue's birthday club thread.

thanks again.

regards,
    earthly