SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Does GardenWeb need a Highland Tropical or "Cloud Forest" forum?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

(I don't mean to suggest that "Highland (sub)Tropical" and "Cloud Forest" are synonymous, although there's a lot of overlap.)

I often find that there's no appropriate place to post on a lot of the plants I grow, and I'm wondering whether Gardenweb needs to create a new forum. I take it they are always open to suggestions for new forums(?)

A huge fraction of the plant biodiversity on the planet is found in the high elevations in the tropics. Many of these plants are zone 10 or 9, and will grow happily in places like San Francisco or San Diego. Yet they will often die a quick death in zone 10 in a place like Florida, due to the warm/hot climate.

The number of people who can easily grow many of these cool-growing plants from the tropics is not huge. However, there does seem to be a lot of interest in them, and there really needs to be a forum where accurate information can be found. I suspect a lot of money is wasted on places like Ebay to buy plants that have little or no chance of survival.

I find that posts on such plants in the Tropicals forum are often ignored. Those in the California forum tend to reach a geographically limited audience. Some already have an appropriate forum, such as Andean Passifloras or Brugmansias or Orchids, but many do not.

I'm curious what others think or if anyone has any other ideas.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH