SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deschuteslady1

Keeping tomatoes warm for a jump on the weather

deschuteslady1
12 years ago

Last year I used the "layered" mulch, bone and blood meal, for my raised garden. I then covered and tacked to the inside of the garden box DeWitt Weed Barrier cloth (Home Depot)covering all of the dirt. I had purchased various tomatoes from my local nursery, put them into one gallon pots to which I had removed the bottoms with a band saw. The pots were set on newspaper to retain the dirt in them. Using an empty pot I turned it on its top on top of the weed block, drew around the top to form a circle. With a box knife I cut a six pointed X inside, almost to edge, of the circle. With one hand holding the newspapered pot I gently lowered the tomato pot with the paper into the newly formed hole in the weed block. Pressing the edge of the pot almost up to the top of the pot I nestled it into the garden. My tomatoes' roots grew out the bottom and I got really great sturdy growing plants out the top. Watering was done with drip hoses layed on top of the weed block. I made a PVC pipe cover with painters plastic to keep the weather at bay during our late April rains and opened it all up on those rare sunny days. The cover came off long about late June with plants ready for the season. It works great and I am going to use it again this year.Bon Apetite!!

Comments (7)