SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abayomi_gw

Tropical Fruits of Australia

abayomi
13 years ago

I've been in Australia for a few weeks and enjoying the tropical fruits here.

I've picked up some kensington pride mangoes are farmer's markets in Melbourne. The markets source goods from all over the country so it is tough to say where they fruit actually came from - the sellers generally didn't know.

In sydney I found a huge indoor market with most sellers selling roughly the same things.

Of interest are the "custard apples". They are huge. I bought a few that were easily 3 - 4 pounds, maybe more. They looked like sugar apples to me but everywhere I went (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns) they call them custard apples. From reading the australian custard apple association website, apparently these fruit are actually "derived" from atemoyas.

Sweet, juicy, large. Seeds are coming home with me for sure.

A number of aussie association sites, including the custard apple, can be see here: http://www.australiantropicalfruits.org.au/.

Other items of interest are rambutan (maybe imported), dragon fruit, longans, and jackfruit.

I am in the north now where mangosteen and lychee also grow. They are not in season now though. It was a pleasant site exited the Cairns airport to see so many mango trees lining the streets (plus field after field of sugar cane). In fact the city itself has fruit trees and almond trees along sidewalks - a model for others to follow!

84F in April (their fall) is great too. They tell me this area rarely falls below 75F.

Today in Cairns, I came across the first jackfruit (3 actually) and the fruit stand operator says she will cut them tommorow. She says they are the "crunchy" type, which I have never had. I'll be going back tommorow. (This maybe the first jackfruit I've seen where I resisted the urge to buy the whole thing).

The longans here are sweet and juicy, as are the pineapples. Cairns/Palm cove is our last stop before heading home via Melbourne...and it has been a sweet, juice tropical trip so far.

There are hundreds of wild edibles (so called bush tucker) here of interest too. Looking to get my hands on as many seeds of local fare as I can...

I've also picked up some locally grown vegetable seed such as australan pumpkins, tomatoes etc.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting