SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briank82

worst year ever for tomato sedlings- thoughts?

briank82
13 years ago

I have been starting tomato plants from seed since I was a child 30+ years ago and never had any problems whatsoever. Last year I was away on military duty when time to start seed came around. My wife did it for the first time and did just fine. I do not claim to be an expert; I do claim to be successful or lucky depending on your own opinion.

I will provide as much background as possible before I get into symptoms.

All seeds were started in the first week of February 2011.

some in jiffy peat pellets and others in peat pots with a sterile seed start mix in them... looks like a peat-vermiculite mix. They were placed under grow lights for 10-12 hrs a day and receive tertiary sunlight from N and W facing windows nearby. The room temp averages 68-75 degrees typically.

Varieties:

Celebrity- started in peat pots 2-5-11

Celebrity Bush variant- same as above

Opalka- same as above

Burpee 4th of July- Jiffy pellets on 2-8-11

Cherry Belle- Jiffy Pellets on 2-8-11

2nd batch of Opalka- Jiffy Pellets on 2-8-11

San Marzano "Redorta"- Jiffy Pellets on 2-11-11

San Marzano "scatalone"- as above

San Marzano (regular)- as above

The first thing to show signs of illness was the first batch of Opalka and the celebrities. They all took on the purple hue of failing to get adequate phosporous (no big deal on that) then the cotyledons turned yellow (estimate it was excess water so I held back). The celebrities looked fine in a week but the Opalkas began dying. branches would break off just by lightly bumping them. As the Opalkas became less foliated I discarded them (trash, not compost)

Then the cherry tomatoes began showing signs of difficulties. The bottom leaves began withering and dying. It appears that transplanting them and adjusting water to less frequency has improved them as well but I am leery.

The oddest of them all is the 4th of July ones. entire branches begin to wilt and die from the leaf tips inward. I have re potted them today and culled a few really bad ones. They are getting cyst-like blisters on the undersides of the leaves and the main "veins" of the leaves are swelling and becoming malformed. I have semi- isolated them and watching but if they continue to decline they are gone too. This hurts because they are my favorite. I love picking tomatoes in May while others are just beginning to plant them a few weeks before.

The second batch of Opalkas is trash bound tonight. The stems are curling up (this is normal for that variety on a limited basis)but doing so excessively and entire branches drop off to the touch. Once again, bad loss. My favorite for sauces.

Overall, The Marzano varieties appear to be holding okay but because they were exposed to the other culprits I worry their decline will follow next. I am re-potting today.

I am thinking this is bacterial wilt and if I am correct; all is lost right?

I should add that peppers and eggplant were started beside them and they show no problems at all.

Tonight I will add some pictures to build the discussion a bit.

looking for some insight and possible solutions.

I already have a back-up flat started in another room but they will be very late.

cheers,

Brian

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations