SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rad7_gw

Question about Mango

rad7
16 years ago

I picked up a 6 foot Haden mango while on vacation in Florida this past September. Yeah, I know now this is not the right kind on Mango to get when I only have a 10x12 greenhouse. A spur of the moment purchase and it was only 19.99.

Anyway in December and January it started having new growth on top like crazy. Then all the new growth started to bloom and now I have a some pea size mangoes.

Well about 2 months ago I started getting arathranose so I read to spray copper on it. I have been spraying it weekly with the copper now.

My first question is about pruning. I think I read something about "ohiojay" pruning a mango. I know with the Haden, I have the wrong kind of mango to grow in a container. Just wondering how I might can prune it to get a few years out of it before it gets to big or just dies. Right now it looks like a straight 6 ft bean pole with green leaves and on top it looks like one with a bad hair day with all the new growth. Can I just cut the top center growth out?

2nd: Should I be spraying the mango with anything else other than the copper spray? The bottle says to cut that back once new growth and blooming has stopped.

3rd: I still have not re-potted this plant. Can anyone suggest a planting mix that they have had success with in growing mangoes in containers. Also what type fertilizer do you recommend. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated too.

Comment (1)