SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sapote_gw

just bought 6 mango

11 years ago

I recently bought 6 mango trees:
From Mimosa in east Los Angeles: 7 gal Lancetilla and Valencia-Pride, $90 each
From TT: 3 gal Alphonsol, Maha-chanok, Nam doc mai, and Carrie, $50 each except Maha $70.

The lancetilla and VP bought on Feb-7 with some little buds, and now they have full open flowers. I think they are good price for their size compare to the trees from TT plus shipping.

Trees from TT were shipped on Monday 3/4 and arrived on 3/6/13. They were repotted to 5 gal with Kellogg Patio Plus. I was trying to find the best potting soil for the mango, and ended up using Kellogg after check its texture with an opened bag. I do think Kellogg is a little water retentive to my liking, and I was concerned a bit after reported the trees with the air temperature still mid 50F in March. I took them indoor at night. After a couple days the trees seemed to hold on ok, I started exposing them to half sun/shade. As you can see from photos, none have shed any leaves after one week since repotted. Beside using the standard planting technique, I also mix a tiny Miracle Grow in a cup water and used paint bush to paint the leaves. I thought this might help boost the plants during this difficult time when the root try to heal from root-ball trauma.

Mango leaves characterization from my observation:
Alphonsol: deep groove at the midrib as a rain gutter
Maha-chanok: narrow long leaves, pointed end ��" resemble the Australian Eucalyptus leaves in shape
Carrie: flat normal looking leaves, pointed end
Nam doc mai: big broad leaves with rounded end.

I will plant the bigger VP and Lancetilla in gound (paver courtyard) as it warm up in the next few weeks, and keep all TTâÂÂs mango in pot for one year before planting them in ground.

Comments (30)