SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tc_prime

2nd year of growing.

tc_prime
13 years ago

Thanks to this site, I've been excited about growing tomatoes for my 2nd year in a row now. I'm definitely a beginner, but hoping to take myself to the next level with all of the knowledge that can be found here.

I started the seeds today w/some Jiffy mix. I looked into lighting, but I just don't have the space for an adequate setup. I've been successful starting from seeds without lights last year, so we'll see. I'm a bit nervous due to trying so many different kinds.

After looking through tons of posts and just being utterly overwhelmed at the choices of what to get, I purchased 9 types of seeds:

Old German

Moreton F1

Aunt Ruby's German Green

Yellow Pear

Brandywine

German Orange Strawberry

Soldacki

Tigerella

Ramapo

Thanks to Carolyn, Betsy, Dave, Trudi and most likely a few others, I may just come across the tomatoes I've tasted as a child via the Ramapo or Moreton F1. I have been reading that the old Rutgers line is lost, so I guess that's out of the question.

By the way, I have an 8'x11' plot. Any ideas as to whether I can cram all 9 types of them in that size plot? As I said, I'm fairly inexperienced, but after everything I've read I feel like that may just be pushing it considering the variety.

I'm also excited to attend the Great Tomato Tasting this year, as it would be the first tomato (or vegetable for that matter) event that I've ever been to. Can't wait.

Best of luck to everyone this season.

Todd

Comments (13)