SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nopeda123

basic Rutgers container tomato plant questions

nopeda123
11 years ago

I'd like to grow some Rutgers and can only grow in containers and will only be able to have about 8 of them. Since I've seen some people recommend trimming tomato plants down to one vine while others suggest never trimming any at all I was thinking about planting two plants asap, one with two vines and one with three. Then in about another few weeks or a month plant two more, one with four vines and maybe one with five to get a feel for it. Does anyone have any thoughts about that?

Also I was planning to start pairs of them about 3-4 weeks apart in the hopes of having tomatoes around for a higher percentage of the year, but one person told me it wouldn't matter with Rutgers because all the tomatoes come in at the same time regardless of when they're planted. That doesn't sound right though since my brother has them for a high percentage of the summer, though he isn't confined like I am and has lots of plants in the ground instead of just a few in containers. I'd be grateful for any thoughts about all that too...

Thanks!
David

Comments (5)