SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Tomatoe planting questions for 2nd year grower

thebutcher
11 years ago

Hi All New here and a 2nd year gardner for tomatoes and have some questions. My first attempt of growing tomatoes was last year when I received 4 early Goliaths for free at the end of June. The garden market gave them to me because she said they would not make it through the eheat wave unless planted now. So I did it., I caged them spaced them properly and used regular garden soil that my mother uses for her flowers. Then added mulch on top after the first week. I probably did not do the best watering job (I soaked them at least twice a week on the roots.) but they did shoot up and started to look real nice and started growing buds in late July. I learned about suckering but probably did not do the best job also. All plants received at least 8 hours of direct sunlight as well. at the end the plants stood about 6ft tall.

To make a long story short, the 4 plants combined produced about 40 Tomatoes before the frost got to them. The tomatoes tasted great and were baseball size at first then became raquet ball size in mid to late September. I am telling you this because I knew I did something wrong, they leaves were yellowish and drying up and buds were droping in early September. I also did not use fertilizer or compost. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia if that helps to see the climate I am in.

Now my questions are below, I know I did something wrong and I do not want to do it again this year. My current plants that I am planting this year are âÂÂ4th of July tomatoeâ seeds, âÂÂRamapo F1 seedsâ from Rutgers and the âÂÂBurpee Rainbow bell pepperâ mix seeds. Along with Brussel sprouts but I wont get into that yet. I also purchased 2 Jiffy pr germination kits (25) each and a JumpStart Hydrofarm 2 ft lamp.

Question 1.) Now my first question, after the seeds germinate and need transfer to around a 3"size? planting cup after I see the true leaves on the peat pellets, what kind of soil mixture do I put in the cups/small pots when I wait to plant them outiside?

Question 2.) What kind of soil is best to use with the combination of Fertilizer/Compost when I plant the Tomatoes outside? I plan on digging a whole in the ground and adding the mixture in it as I did last year, (I plan on doing the same with the bell peppers to make it easier). Last year I dug about a 12 inch hole with a 12 inch diameter and filled it with just the soil.

Question 3. ) Can I plant either of the varieties of tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets (I donâÂÂt mind losing some plants for experiments).

I got plenty of photos of my plants last year if anyone is interested and even took video of time lapse and such. This year I plan on putting my GoPro camera set in taking a photo every 1 min for about a week or 2 watching the seeds pop and grow.

Thanks again in advanced and happy to be here.

The photo is when I first planted them last year.

-Mr Beno ...

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living