Marian - lovelyiris

Aquawise

Grovespirit - Iris

Tammy

Comments (56)

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wet them all earlier today and then repacked all the boxes and labeled them with addresses and postage if here (or taped baggie with money on box if not) and then put them all in the basement to keep cool.

I am hoping it gets here tomorrow, I know a couple of the land plants are looking a little droopy.

Alright now the main work is done (on my end) some of you are sooo going to be busy! There are a LOT of plants.

Tammy

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

well it would be better to wait anyway, cause the mailman doesent deliver on sun.. not everyone gets stuff from aqua right? chell girl youre not sleepin for days, fist thinkin next plantin..jejeje

• Related Discussions

NEW! Wet My Feet! Water Gardening Seed/Plant Swap

Q

Comments (4)
    A group swap is when multiple people sign-up to swap what they have. They take place under the Round Robin Exchange forum. Normally once the swap goes live the participants make a list of items they would be willing to swap and for then you pick the ones you want from the others list you can choose one of someone elses. The plants / seeds/ etc. are then mailed to the designee who swaps all the plants etc into the correct mailer and sends them back out. Thats just the quick version. They are a lot of fun. You should check out the forum and view a couple that are going on right now. I LOVE the seed swaps (they are my fav.) I get alot of awesome seeds that way. Normally whoever is doing the swapping will look at your want list and try to match up your top wants. Its pretty fun. This is the first water one I have done. Hope that helps. Tammy
    ...See More

have: wet my feet! water gardening seed/plant swap

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Tammy, I would love to join your water gardening, seed, plant swap :) My pond is still FROZEN! I put the plant and waterlily pots down into the deep end of the pond (now at 16ft. deep), but it is still covered with ice and snow. I put in last year yellow, pink, red, and white waterlilies, some named and some not. I also should have some lotus growing down there too, but if not, I have lots of lotus seeds. I will have to look in my book and take inventory for some other water plants I might have? I do have the yellow flag Iris and some purple pond iris. Please let me know if I'am in? Well, nuts, NOW I see where I am suppose to sign in, LOLOL Thanks, Snazzypants
    ...See More

WET My Feet! Water Gardening seed/plant swap #3

Q

Comments (74)
    Fran really I had NO trouble with either of them. I just use a shallow pan or plastic shoe box and sow on the surface and cover with vermiculite and mist daily I had them both to germinate within 7-10 days. I have grown many times. Black moundry I have, but would have welcomed more from tammy, my seeds that I started this year I already had plans for, but blue fescue you can winter sow also I did last year, but this year started some in greenhouse in August they were in gallon pots by jan. Second sowing which you are getting was Feb and they are now in 4 inch pots, but could easily go up. HMMM did you sow on the surface. I have found that with grass seed it is imperative to use pans and not plugs or divided seed start containers. Just fill a container with dirt and they love it. I did not use bottom heat for the blue fescue, but did for the moundry. Black mondo which I was looking for is just a black mondo grass. Thompson and Morgan has seeds I may try it is so expensive for plugs, the same for Japanese Forest GRass, but I guess I will have to bite the bullet in the fall. NEW REQUEST Lotus from DON and Spider lily if you have anymore please. Here are my offers that are confirmed please not some will have to be mailed out later PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I MISSED ANYONE AS I WILL BE MOVING THESE TO A SEPERATE AREA SO I DON"T GET THEM MIXED IN WITH RETAIL> Tammy Purple Fountain Grass Dwarf Umbrella Palm Water Hyacinth confirmed Marian Lemon Grass Purple Iris Aquawise Fiber Optic Grass Pony Tail Indian Grass Lemon grass Becky Dwarf Umbrella Palm Anacharis Bigmoma4ever Anacharis Wendy Lemon Grass Purple Fountain Grass Dwarf Sweet Flag Fiber Optic Grass Ruby Grass Dwarf Umbrella Palm Anacharis Water Hyacinth confirmed Water Lettuce confirmed Mouse Lemon Grass Pony Tail Grass Indian Grass Fran Blue Fescue Pony Tail Lemon Grass Indian Grass Sweet Flag Ruby Grass: Chinese Silver grass: Carex Prairie Fire sedge Dwarf Umbrella Palm Corkscrew Rush Pickeral Rush Water Hyacinth confirmed Water Lettuce confirmed I will send you some daylilys also. Chris Blue Fescue Pony Tail Lemon Grass Indian Grass Purple Fountain Grass Ruby Grass Chinese Silver Grass Carex Prairie Fire Sedge Bunny Tail Grass Dwarf Umbrella Palm Corkscrew Anacharis Pickeral Rush Water Hyacinth confirmed Water Lettace Confirmed Dixietn Pony Tail Lemon Grass Indian Grass Purple Fountain Grass Corkscrew Don water lettuce when available I will mail out need address water hyacinth when available I will mail out need address Blue Fescue Ponytail Lemon Grass Fiber Optic Grass Dwarf Umbrella Palm Hope everyone is well. I would have been on sooner but when we got back from New york the air was broken, then that night laid down to sleep and couldn't I heard a popping noise saw a flash and the tv had shorted out, by the time i got up to unplug it it...
    ...See More

NEW: 4 for 4 Plant Swap, 2 packs of seeds, w/ a bonus!

Q

Comments (27)
    journey and sunnysmiles never sent any info, so they will be omitted from this rr. Maybe next time. Here is the list of partners: efrosty & nynative rosebud_2050 & araillia takingroot & ilovefarac gardeb_fever_girl & nightnurse1968 sweety13 & hummingbirddaisy I tried to pair everyone up according to zone. I will e-mail everyone their partners info yet tonight, and tomorrow and beyond is open game!!! I hope we all have fun sharing our gardens! Post when you send and receive. Thanks so much for signing up. Enjoy, Tina
    ...See More
  • aquawise
    14 years ago

I mailed it on MONDAY 5/11/09 at 2:30pm, it should have been there by thursday!!!! I hope the post office has not lost or damaged it, I am so sorry it has not got there yet and that you have to wait on me. Sheeeeeesh trust me to mess every one up. I feel so bad. If it does not get there on Saturday just send my order to those that requested from me. But please go ahead without me. I sent a smaller box of plants to another poster on Tuesday and she got hers today. Dont know what is going on. So Sorry.

• victorian_bellefonte
    14 years ago

I don't know what's going on with the postal service! I had a package sent from a trader within PA (my same state!) sent Tuesday that still hasn't arrived as of Friday. Mine was sent the same day, and since I haven't heard from her yet, my guess is that she's not received hers either! Sheeeeesh!

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thats ok aqua. I did not get it again today. I am sorry you are having trouble with your box. I just now got the mail and our PO closes at 1:30 I was trying to wait in case it came in so now I am not sure what to do. I know I won't make it to the PO in time with all these boxes so I guess I am waiting until Monday.

OK. I am definately mailing monday and will keep fingers crosses that yours shows up. I am going to take out the plants and water them again and let them breath a while.

Alright I need to hear from these people...

Alright a couple issues...

First is Chris - (I guess this is a good problem) I may need to send two boxes for your stuff. There is NO way I can get them all in the large flat rate. What would you like me to do? Let me know and I will trust you to send me the extra postage as I know you have a good standing in GW. :-)

Second is Elizabeth. (sorry I said christine in the previous post)
    I do not have any return postage for you...? Could you email me and let me know if you sent it separately, if so I have not recieved it yet.

good Day everyone:-)

Tammy

• aquawise
    14 years ago

I do not know what to say!!!! how can I ever apolagise enough to all of you???? I sent all the stuff for every one, I am so sad it never made it in 6 days. Tammy please if it comes keep it and the postage and send what makes it of to as many as you can. I am sure some of it will be dead from the heat after so long. My puter is on the fritz so If I don't respond its because it has croaked on me, so sad so sorry to disapoint. Gayla.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Gayla, sometimes stuff just gets lost in the mail. It is a shame that it happens but it does. I HOPE really that it comes in Monday, I would hate to see all those plants lost!

I hate using the postal service. Seems more and more goes missing now then it used too, maybe it is just that more is mailed I don't know but things used to make it to the place it was going without a hitch, not anymore.

Tammy how are you doing? I still can't wait to get my box wooohooo...lol. Maybe if there is a way you can do UPS you could ship Chris' box that way? I am sure it would be cheaper for both of you. If you have a box that her stuff will fit into, then take it to your post office to weigh it then you could do the online postage with UPS and then have them pick it up at your place. They do free pick-up too.

:) Fran

• aquawise
    14 years ago

I feel bad that people will not get the plants they asked for, makes me feel like I have let everyone down. I think that I will sign off and not post for a while this has made me so sad. Guess it killed my desire to trade. Love you all and thanks for your kindness and understanding.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:
    I am definately sending monday because of the plants. I don't want to lose any. I am afraid a couple of the plants may not make it. Some are sooo droopy. I woould suggest as soon as you get your package if you can unpack it and get it in dirt or water as soon as possible. Remember that most of them even if they lose their tops should send up new groweth. Most of the water plants still look great.

The only thing I am going to request is that everyone lets me know as soon as you recieve your boxes and if everything makes it.

Aqua, I am so sorry for you. I hope it comes in Monday, I know that must be disappointing.

Elizabeth - I sent you an email:-)

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Tammy, I was going to say the same thing you did that even if they lose the green growth chances are they WILL be fine as long as the roots look good.
    BTW did you see Iris's post on the confirmation page?

Gayla, please don't lose heart. THIS is NOT your fault and you shouldn't feel bad about boxes getting lost by the post office, it is a chance we all take when we mail something. It just sucks when it ACTUALLY DOES happen to one of us, and I am SURE that it will happen to each of us at least ONCE if we all keep trading and swapping. Please don't feel like you let us down.

• dbailey
    14 years ago

Aqua
    Please do not loose heart over the USPS making another mistake. Remember the old lugage commercial about the bell boys who were gorillas. They should have used postal workers. I have had large photos sent by mail that were marked "Do Not Bend" that were all but torn into. And when I took it back to the Post Office and I came to the counter with a tatered package still labeled "Do Not Bend" they asked, "Is something wrong"? Maybe it will arrive tomorrow. Either way all will be well.
    Thank you all and good night!
    Don

• aquawise
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your kind understanding. Things just don't seen to go my way lately. Please do let me know if a miracle happiness and you get it tomorrow.

• victorian_bellefonte
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy,

I got your email and responded but haven't heard back and wanted to make sure you got this. There is $21 wrapped up in a note to you (not obvious as money just in case the post office decided to open it up). The wrapped up note is in a baggie. This baggie is in a larger baggie along with all the seeds I sent others.

Please let me know when you find it!
    thanks,
    Elizabeth

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Well Tammy. what's the word? Are the boxes on the way out flying home yet? :)

Will be waiting to hear from you. I am so excited I love getting boxes in the mail.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK...

great news... ALL BOXES are SENT!

Aqua - your box arrived! It looks like it went thru a smasher machine but it is here and although it is squished and bent beyond recognition all the plants seem to be fine... YEAH! I don't know what the PO did to it but I bet you are happy now.! I am so happy it came in I felt so bad for you I was going to go ahead and ship out your stuff anyway to make you feel better but now it arrived and everyone can enjoy the stuff you sent.

NOTE: It was well worth the wait everyone, she sent a wonderful selection of great plants.

Elizabeth - I wish I would have checke my email sooner I would have reopened all the boxes and checked the seed envies. I most likely sent it to someone with the seeds since I didn't see it or the note. I went ahead and paid for it to go out anyway because I wanted to make sure you got your box before the plants expired.

NOTE: If anyone gets the seed envie with the money would you kindly return it to Elizabeth. Thank You!

YEAH! OK everyone PLEASE PLEASE let me know when your boxes arrive so I can keep track and make sure they all come through.

Chris - The PO was not not not happy with the box I sent you. LOL. It was actually funny she looked at it and her eyebrowes raised and then looked at me and said the flat rate boxes are not supposed to have gaps in the openings. (that I taped to hold everything in!) LOL

BUT she let it slide and sent it out anyway. Yeah! Please let me know when you get it you will see what I mean. Its packed to the hilt and has about a two inch opening where the seam is suppost to be taped together.

Fran - Have fun! you have a lot of planting to do.

Mouse - You didn't request a whole lot and your stuff fit in a smaller box. I sent back 1/2 your stamps that was not used but had to slide them in the flap as it was already sealed so when you open the box they should be right on the top when you open the first flap. I just didn't want you to open it and them fall out and you lose them so I wanted to let you know it was there.

I hope everyone enjoys your plants and has enjoyed the swap.

Tammy

• sissifriss
    14 years ago

Hey everyone, just checking in. Can you believe we may get a frost tonight. Really at the end of May. Anyway several things, due to this weather I will be waiting to send out until Thursday, this would get stuff there hopefully by Saturday, or if you all prefer due to the arrival of the other package I can wait until Tuesday next week. My concern is that It will get held up over the holiday and not have good results. So let me know. I worry that the lettace would not appreciate several days in a box. Next fran I still need your address.
    Finally, Aqua it could have happened to anyone, I always worry when I send out that it could happen. I have had things lost in the mail before. We could never blame you for this. I hope that you enjoy the plants that I send you and don't worry about mine, while I always love to get new plants, I don't want you to feel bad about this.
    Tammy,
    thank you so much for all of your work on this. I hope that you saw I put in a fiber optic and blue fescue for you extra. I was really stressed and hurried when I was packing and can not remember if I labeled.
    Fran I also put in a couple extra things for you
    Also I was not sucessful in finding a good way to label my plants so I am sending all who got grasses an email with pictures and info so that you can identify them. Please if you have any questions let me know. I hope everything makes it to you all and if I missed anything please let me know.
    I am finally packed up and home from the farmers market and will be selling from the nursery only thank goodness. Tomorrow is the first day I have had off in over a month. Maybe I can finally start working on my wintersown plants I covered them with a tarp so hopefully they will be fine. There was no way I could find the strength to haul them all to the greenhouse. I hope that I am not sorry about that. Anyway enough rambling. Please keep your fingers crossed that we don't get a frost I would lose a lot of things. Weird weather for sure.

• sissifriss
    14 years ago

Oh I must have been typing when tammy posted that is wonderful aqua. i for one am grateful for the delay. I would hate to lose all the new stuff in this weird weather. Thanks again tammy for all of the hard work.

• victorian_bellefonte
    14 years ago

Tammy,

Thanks so much for all your hard work!!!! I'm so excited to have the plants on their way!

Update on my *within Pennsylvania* trade...we only two hours away, but it took 6 days for her box to get here. Like I said, I think something is up with the post office. A first class letter leaving FL to us in PA took 9 days. Heard about layoffs at the post office on the news today because mail quantity is down. Evidently, mail *quality* is also down!

Anyway, Tammy, please let me know what I owe you for the box! You missed out on the seeds I had sent just for you...whoever gets them, please send the seeds to Tammy (or send $ and seeds to me, and I'll get them to Tammy)..thanks!

Thanks to all, good luck with the frosts! My daughter and I just pulled in 26 flats...I don't have a greenhouse, just my front porch to harden off. The flats are all over the first floor!

I'm having a plant sale (heirloom veggies and some perennials)...almost wish I hadn't started this whole project, but it's too late for that! :)

Elizabeth

• sissifriss
    14 years ago

Elizabeth tell me about it. What a job. Good luck to you too

• aquawise
    14 years ago

OMG WOW how wonder to hear that. Tammy you rock. I cried when I read that my box got there messed up and all. Dang Post what the heck is up with them.??? I hope everyone likes the things I sent. This was quit an experience for me. Good luck to all boxes on the next leg of there journey.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Ahh AQUA, that is sad. But at least it got there and the plants WERE fine! So that is all that matters, again not your fault you had no control over any of it!

Hey Tammy, I am SOOOOO glad you got the boxes out, I am so super excited to get the box I can't wait and I HAVE to LOL.
    I am surprised the PO let that box go through for Chris like that, sometimes they are VERY VERY strict with that rule! Good job on stuffing it LOL. I wish I would have had a better hostess gift to send you but at the time that was it GF!

Myriah you are too sweet girl! Thanks again and I am SUPER excited to get the stuff from you too. Thanks to you I have decided to do a GRASS BED! Woohooo...lol.

Elizabeth sounds like you have been busy girl! 26 flats WOW!

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran - I LOVED the maginate note pads. I use them all the time and you couldn't have sent anything better. Thanks so much.

Thanks for all the hostess gifts and plants. I really appreciate them all.

Elizabeth - I couldn't ask you to pay for the box it is not your fault I overlooked the money and all. Now if whereever the money is gets returned to you then I will ask for your to send whatever it was (just look at your box cause I don't remember how much it was). But for now lets just say its even.

Aqua - I am so excited for you. I did unsquish your box when I opened it and it was not ripped or anything so I am guessing that is why alll the plants made it so well. I love the duckweed you sent me. It is so cute floating in the pond.

Don - I am Loving my new lotus. I have never had one and I love how the water beads up on the leafs. Do they need a special 'mud, clay, dirt' or something for planting in or can I just us the regular water plant clay stuff. Right now I just have them stuck with some stones on them to hold them down until I find out.

Ooooh I can't wait for the boxes to start arriving. I can't wait until all the new plants start getting established and all.

Please let me know as soon as one of you get them. Thanks to everyone for all the time you took to participate in the swap. I am having a ball with all these new plants.

Tammy:-)

• aquawise
    14 years ago

So glad you like it. Hope everyone likes there's too. I am just soooooooo glad it made it at all. Please let me know how you "ALL" like the stuff I sent. Thanks so much for the support and kind words. Gayla

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Gayla no problem, again it wasn't your fault and I am glad Tammy waited to mail out.

Tammy, u think you will do this one again next year?
    Yeap that is what I wanted to ask LOL.

Ok well I think I should go to bed now.

• dbailey
    14 years ago

Good Morning All!
    I am glad you are all enjoying the lotus and lilies. They should perform awesome. They need to be planted in a round container. I use a 16" x 9". Put an inch or two of sand in the bottom so you can harvest new tubers in two years easier. I use the old clay out of the yard to about two inches from the top. Place the tuber at the edge so it will grow around the container and just under the surface. You may need to put a rock on top of it to hold it down. Water just over the top and deeper as it grows. Lots of sun and fertilize after the primary (upright) stems develope. The seeds need to be "scared" through the brown outer coating. Drag them on the sidewalk or use a file until white shows. Drop in a pan of shallow water in a very warm spot. They will sprout in the next two weeks depending on how warm they are. When they get shoots coming out, plant by covering lightly with soil and keep warm. Use at least a 16" round container. They don't stay small for long. Small black oil pans from Walmart worked great for the first year.
    Good Luck and email me if you have questions.
    Don

• victorian_bellefonte
    14 years ago

Mystery SOLVED! Tammy, you sent ME my money and seeds! I just got my box and opened it up to find it! I had seeds and a mailing label in a separate bag, and you must have just put it in my box because my name was on the mailing label. So that's great news that it's no longer MIA!

Myriah, Don, Chris and Fran...please email me your addresses so I can send your seeds out to you.

Everyone who got beebalm from me...I sent two varieties to each person, but since Tammy didn't find my note, I am not sure how they were split up. One type had more purple lower stems to it.

I'm off to dig into my box! Woooo hooo!

:)
    Elizabeth

• dixiedazzle
    14 years ago

I don't know how many times I said that going through my box of goodies!! Thank you everyone (although my grandmother told me you never thank someone for a plant or it will die). I'm off to do on-line research about the different things I got & how to plant them.

This was my first live plant swap & I hope that what I sent out & how it was packed was ok & if not LMK.

Now to talk DH into a bigger pond.

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

got my box , beutifull plants, did not get any grasses like the fiber optic ..thanks very much they are all great.. goin out to play now..norma

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don - Thanks for the instructions. I will be busy tomorrow.

Elizabeth - Don't I feel like a dumby. It was sooo confusing when I was trying to get them all in the correct boxes. I must have just seen your name and wala. Duh Blonde moment there. Anyway I am glad your money is not missing. Sorry about that.

Norma - I have a fiber optic that did not have a name on it and it must have been yours so I will be shipping that out to you. Sorry about that. I assumed it was a host gift since everything else was labeled. I am glad you like your plants.

Dixie - Bigger Pond is a necessity

Fran - As of right now you don't want me to answer that question, but next year when I am borded and wanting new water plants you will most likely see it posted again. I did have fun with this but am glad the boxes are out..

(this is my favorite part - reading about everyone enjoying their new plants:-)

Tammy

• sissifriss
    14 years ago

Tammy it was a hostess gift. I don't know how I overlooked norma, but I have spoken with her and will ship her out another so please keep it. That is what I meant it for. My mailman decided to leave mine out in blazing sun so somethings were very unhappy but for the most part things were ok and will make it I think. I cut back many things before planting to ease the stress. thank you so much to all who participated in this swap. I enjoyed it. Please let me know if I overlooked anything else that I am not already mailing out Tuesday. Have a great night.
    Myriah

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

WELL I was SOOOOOOO hoping I would get my box today but alias it didn't show. I am hoping for tomorrow, dratted PO!

OK, I can't wait to get it lol...

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Wooohoo, I GOT THE BOX. I have been making labels since 11:30 and STILL am NOT finished. I can not believe I ended up with so much stuff.

I want to thank you all again.

Tammy I haven't found the thing you told me you hope I enjoyed in the note you wrote. Maybe you missed it?

Myriah, I am totally lost on which grass is which I SOOOOO wish you would have had time to label. They ALL look the same to me esp at this stage.

Thanks again everyone it is great!

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

I got my box today. Thank you all so much. Now I need help. What do I do with them? How do I plant them? I've only had bought plants before that already came in pots.

I have:
    water celery
    ostrich fern
    water iris
    varigated celery
    dwarf umbrella palm
    water lily
    hen and chicks

I know the hen and chicks get started in dirt but I have no idea how to plant the rest.

• aquawise
    14 years ago

Got my box today. Man it sure got hammered. Sadly I got NO water plants thanks for all the other stuff everyone. I will plant them up as soon as I can.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran - It is sitting in my windowsil. I total forgot to add it with all the drama of trying to repack. If its alright with you I will send it in with the pack I am mailing for your 100 plant swap (with a hugh note to make sure you know its yours) LOL

I am so glad everyone is happy with the swap so far. Please I would love to see photos of everyones gardens with the new plants.

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

I labeled all day good grief LOL. There sure were a lot of plants in there. LOL.

Sure Tammy that will be fine I was HOPING you still had it and I wasn't losing it LOL.

I don't think the comfrey is going to make it and some of the semps from Norma BUT other then that I am sure everything else is fine!

Norma thank you for throwing in those 2 bulbils of Oxailis! I do appreciate it so very much.

Chris OMG that loveage made me hungry it smelled so good! So did the leeks LOL.

Thanks so much everyone this was so much fun and SO WORTH the postage I think!

Don your plants are fabulous! Thanks so much.

• dbailey
    14 years ago

It's here!!!
    The box was a little mushed but contents were okay. I sat the plants out in a pan of water to hydrate a little. If anyone needs help on planting lilies email me. Lotus is posted above. Thank you all for the plants. I will send a link with pics later so you can all see how they look in the Kansas heat this summer. I have three whites, a yellow blooming today and a "Red Flare" tropical tonight. 12 months work finally paying off.
    Thanks again,
    Don

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

take a pic so il know wich one they are and ill gladly replace them, no problem..bigmama

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Still need some planting help.

• aquawise
    14 years ago

proudgm_03, what are you needing help with, Ill try to get you going.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Becky,

water celery: easy you can get a basket fill with gravel or the pond stuff you plant in plant it straight in the stuff, it can float or sink a little. OR you can plant it on the edge of your pond where it is wet.
    ostrich fern: Shade FULL shade needs LOTS of room can grow to 6 foot tall. Plant it in good woods dirt or humus.
    water iris: Easy, Plant around the margin of the pond or IN it but no more then 1 inch of water above the crown.
    varigated celery: same instructions for Water Celeery above.
    dwarf umbrella palm: Plant in a pot with yard dirt, must be a heavy dirt or the pond stuff. Plant the roots just below the stem. Place in the water, no more the 8 inches, as it grows you can increase the depth but I wouldn't put it too deep.
    water lily: You need a pot or a bowl with no holes in it to plant in. Put heavy soil in the bottom of the pot/bowl, then mound up a mount in the center and lay the roots out all around the mound. Then back fill with more heavy soil around the roots, firm the soil around the roots. It needs to be packed well. It depends on which lily you got as to which depth it can be placed in the pond.

You don't want any air pockets around the roots of the lilies or any of the other water plants for that matter if you are using soil. It also needs to be a heavy type soil and clean so it doesn't get trash in your water. The reason you need to pack it firm is so there will be less air pockets when you put it in the pond and it will not make a mess.
    There will be a few small air pockets you will miss but when you go to place the pot in the pond do it slowly at an angle so that the water doesn't make a cloudy mess with the soil and move it slow until you hit the bottom or a riser.

When I had water celery and water clover before my pond died, I planted those in strainers I got from the 1.00 store, in rocks and then I rigged up and thing to make them 'float' on top of the pond. I read they don't like to be deep but are happy if allowed to float across the water and mine seemed to be happy.

OK, I hope I helped you. You can also research the net. I had found lots of info on pond plants there when I first started (wow 9 years ago now) with water plants. I love water plants, they are the easist plants to grow I think! LOL.

OK again I wish to thank EVERYONE, I got my stuff potted up for the most part. I am going to keep the stuff in pots until I can get them planted and figure out where I really want them.

Norma, I wouldn't want you to have to replace those plants. Not your fault. I am hoping they bounce back but I don't think they will.

Ok well I need to go check another thread....
    Thanks again EVERYONE for the plants it was fun!

• dbailey
    14 years ago

Evening all!

Here is a link to a site showing some of my plants and pond. It has the lotus and lilies in bloom. Better pics to follow as soon I can find where I put them.

Don

Here is a link that might be useful: Don and Deb's new page

• aquawise
    14 years ago

I went back and found my request page just because I could not remember what I requested.
    Pennywort
    lotus- plant
    Zebra grass- plants
    Taro
    Of the above requests I received one, Zebra grass.
    I got some very cool stuff don't get me wrong, But I so wanted some new plants for my ponds.

• grolikecrazy
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh,my beautiful bulging box came on my front porch and I went right out the back door to my pond and started pulling each plant out and laid them out so I coukld decide where everything should go, wow, i love everything!
    I think the ostrich fern is happy i think in it's new home, full shade and moist ground, am expecting a lot out of it to complete the tropical flavor of that flowerbed.
    i'm kinda nervous about potting the water lilies, especialy aobut the huge gorgeous lotus rhyzome, since my pond isn't very big, maybe two feet larger than a large hard plastic kiddy pool and deep enough for my fishes not to winter kill. what is the best way to pot it, and is there a minimum depth it needs to be in?
    Fran, thank you for your post on how to pot the water lilies, mine don't do well, they might have 1 or two flowers for the whole summer. they used to do much better when i knew nothing about them and potted them in a normal pot and heavy clay soil, weighted down with gravel and coarse sand. but the last ones I purchased were already in those pond pots like colanders, and they seem to just hang on and put out just a few leaves a season. so i;ll try it your way, no holes in the pot.
    About the comfrey, they are very difficult to kill, even tiny slivers of roots left in the ground will become a huge plant in no time at all, they are quite invasive for that reason, I've been trying to eradicate mine for several years and still am fighting the battle.
    Thank you again everybody. and thank you Tammy for doing this swap. Hugs for evryone. chris

i sure hope my grasses make it

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Tammy I too want to thank you again. I am so glad you did this swap! I REALLY hope you do this one again. Really I do. (see HINT below lol)

Chris, the lotus needs a large type pot or something LARGE I have done mine four ways:
    1 I put them in those rope buckets you can get at just about any store and put the heavy clay in there you have to be careful with the root stock on these, you can firm the heavy soil around the roots I just sort of put the dirt in around the root stock and sort of smacked/fisted it down like making mud pies you can also wet the dirt before you put it on the roots that will help to make it go where it needs to because it is like mud pies.
    THESE I left out of the pond put a fish in each one and made sure there was always water in it. I posted a pic of one of my lotuses sitting in these buckets.

2. I have purchased those big round plastic bowls at the 1.00 store the biggest ones the have there like 2 or 3 gallons it is like a dough bowl and plant it the same as the method above but put it in the pond.

3. I have used nusery pots, the BIG 3 gallon pot.

4. I cut a 55 gallon plastic drum lenghtwise and planted in the bottom and had it on the outside of the pond. WITH a fish in it.

Lotuses can go pretty deep in a pond, BUT they are heavy feeders if you want lots of blooms from it, I gave 3 to 4 pond tabs at least once a month I liked to do it every 2 weeks if I did I only gave 2 per pot, but it also depended on the size of container I had it in the ROPE buckets since the root stock could get so large I would put 4 because the bucket is so large like 18 gallons I think they are. I like the buckets best, moveable and manageable. Also, do not let it go to seed or it will stop blooming.
    They also as you can see need a BIG pot. The bigger the better with them.

Chris, try feeding those lilies. Also I would say they are crowded and need to be divided. Those could be 2 reasons why they are not doing well. The need a little TLC and they will do just fine. Those baskets they came in are exspensive to buy. So keep them, they really are good for things like water celery and water clover.

Aqua, I am sorry you didn't get any new water plants. I promise if we do this again and you join I will make sure you get some if mine all make it ok?
    SO don't buy any. I would like to do it again in say AUGUST HINT HINT TAMMY lol.

• dbailey
    14 years ago

Tammy
    I use 18 qt. dish pans for my lilies. Walmart has them for less than $3 in black. Black seems to draw the heat into the soil and give everything a boost in the spring. They also have nice handles when full of wet dirt and rocks. The lilies I sent were pretty healthy. You may lose the buds if they had any but new ones will appear quickly. To plant the lily fill the container about half full of soil. The more clay in the soil the better. Drop in one fert. tab per gallon of soil. Insert the plant and finish covering the roots with soil. Top of with a layer of pea gravel or river rock. This also helps keep the fish from digging in the pot. As it grows it will push soil out of the pot so leave it only 2/3 full. Fill with water slowly as not to dirty the pond. I start the lilies shallow to stimulate the growth. Set deeper as they grow and the water warms. Lotus are about the same but really need a round pot. If you use 2" sand in the bottom of the pot it makes getting the tubers easier. Follow the directions above but no fert. tabs. Add just enough soil to cover the tuber and leave shallow. Rock it in so the fish won't move them and they don't float. DO NOT fert. until primary (upright) leaves appear. I set them shallow and leave them up till the weather gets hot. I have primary leaves already and look for buds really soon. Feed all 1 or 2 fert. tabs monthly and the lotus biweekly while blooming. If anyone has any questions please let me know.
    Don

• aquawise
    14 years ago

HAY EVERYONE I WANT TO KNOW HOW YOU LIKED THE PLANTS I SENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Howdy Aqua,
    I was very pleased with the plants you sent me. I am sure everyone else is as well. Thanks so much!

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gayla - I Love the plants you sent. Thank you so much for your generosity. I wish there would have been more I could have sent you that you wanted.

Elizabeth - I just got the package you sent me. THANK YOU so much. I love the earrings they are very beautiful. Teal is my fav. color so those are perfect.

I truely hope everyone has enjoyed the swap and all the plants are doing well.

Tammy

• aquawise
    14 years ago

So cool I was afraid that after all the fuss you all would be disappointed in the starts, But then Dh says I worry to much. Just want to be sure you were all ok with the plants.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH