SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hugginsjl

Dragon Fruit Trellis Idea...?

hugginsjl
13 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum...hopefully I will get some good feedback. Haha!

Ok. so...I just ordered and got in a cutting of dragon fruit undatus and a rooted/growing 2.5 foot tall polyrhizus.

I am planning on putting together a good pot and trellis support to grow them on. I live in central VA so the winters do ice over most times, therefore I will use a pot so I can bring it indoors during the winter.

I had this idea where I could make an "especially good" trellis.

My plan is to have a wagon wheel attached to the top of a wooden 4x4. Now on the 4.4 I think I read that covering it in burlap helps a lot with the arial roots. RIght?

Well Since those roots are there I suspect that I could figure a way to jam extra nutrients for more growth into the plant...I was thinking stapling an edge of the burlap cloth on an edge of a side of the 4x4...then stuffing soil under the burlap so its trapped underneath, but on top of the wood. and stapling on the other side of the soil. And do that on each side of the pole, as well as stapling the ends of burlap down. Then it would be like soil burlap padding on each side of the 4x4. What do you think?

Thought those roots will soak in more water and nutrients to really get the plant growing. My only problem is, I have no clue if/when I would need to change the soil out from under the burlap... :/ That could be a problem!

I feel like its a good idea, but I would also be making the future more difficult for me and the plants...?

*Anyone with a trellis for your dragon fruit? What have you done? Is it working?

**Oh and will the roots attach to a bare wooden 4x4? Not quite sure what to expect. At this point my plants don't have arial roots...

P.S. A few extra questions...

1. What is the minimum temperature for the cactus' to be in? I think I read 40 degrees Farenheit...? Can someone help me clear that up? Haha...

2. How much direct sun should they get in a day, safely, without getting sunburned? If I put them under my overhang of my patio should they be fine, but still grow well?

3. A cutting I bought from california has NO roots appearing yet from where it was cut. How long does it take to start forming? You can't plant it till it is formed, right?

4. Last thing...Any idea where I can get a cutting from a good red flesh variety?

Thanks! I hope someone will take the time to help me with some answers. x.x

Haha! I just typed way more than I was planning on. SORRY!

Thanks though!

-Hugginsjl

Comments (13)