SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theo247

What determines dwarf mango: rootstock or scion?

theo247
11 years ago

I'm interested in growing dwarf mango trees in my grow room, but after reading a lot of forum posts, I have several lingering questions:

1) Is it the rootstock or the scion that determines whether the tree is a dwarf? Since I'll be growing these inside, I want them to produce fruit at 2) If it is the rootstock that determines whether or not the tree is a dwarf, which rootstocks do you recommend? I've read that Turpentine is often used, but I don't know if it will result in a dwarf tree if I graft a scion onto it.

3) It sounds like polyembryonic varieties are true to seed, whereas monoembryonic ones are not. Therefore, if I want to purchase seeds to grow a tree to use as a rootstock, I'll need to purchase seeds from a polyembryonic variety, right?

4) I think I'd like to try using Carrie for the scion. Does this change which rootstock I should choose for grafting to result in a dwarf tree?

5) If I grow a Carrie and want to propagate it, can I plant a seed from the Carrie to get a rootstock to start with, and then graft a scion from the mature Carrie onto the rootstock to result in a dwarf Carrie?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus